Cowon Plenue P1
Feb 4, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #1,921 of 2,974

In previous Cowons you could install firmware from other areas of the world that didn't have the EU volume limit.

Sorry I take that back it was with iRivers when I had my H340 I think it was

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,922 of 2,974
As far as I know Cowon has no special players for the european market. Maybe special F/W variants but usually you can install each related firmware. No matter whether it is available in Japan, Korea, Europe, USA, etc. etc.
I never had problems installing different F/W on Cowon players. i4, i5, J3, P1, PD all worked fine. Also I never found a EU volume limit on my Cowon players. It is more a issue from other manufactures like Sony. I guess you have tested a defect P1

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,923 of 2,974
Does anyone know if there is a setting or way to turn off the automatic volume changes that the P1 does - like when you remove your head/earphones?  I find it to be really annoying to have to turn the volume back up to my preferred listening level each time I use it.  I understand the concept to prevent damage to equipment or ears........

Just want the volume to stay where I put it until I decide to change it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #1,924 of 2,974
  Does anyone know if there is a setting or way to turn off the automatic volume changes that the P1 does - like when you remove your head/earphones?  I find it to be really annoying to have to turn the volume back up to my preferred listening level each time I use it.  I understand the concept to prevent damage to equipment or ears........

Just want the volume to stay where I put it until I decide to change it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim

Which firmware are you using? There have been a series of complaints lately about things that are unfamiliar to me 
rolleyes.gif

Mine stays at the same volume, so I would imagine there is such a setting! Or it's something with old/new firmware? 

Same for the volume cap, as far as I know the P1 doesn't have one.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #1,925 of 2,974
  Which firmware are you using? There have been a series of complaints lately about things that are unfamiliar to me 
rolleyes.gif

Mine stays at the same volume, so I would imagine there is such a setting! Or it's something with old/new firmware? 

Same for the volume cap, as far as I know the P1 doesn't have one.

Yes , there have been issues that I do not recognise, I am on 2.14 or 15 I think, the volume changes for me only if I deliberately change earphones to headphones or the other way around in the options - which I assume it is a user friendly way of selecting different gain.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #1,926 of 2,974
  Yes , there have been issues that I do not recognise, I am on 2.14 or 15 I think, the volume changes for me only if I deliberately change earphones to headphones or the other way around in the options - which I assume it is a user friendly way of selecting different gain.

Same here.

Btw, do you use the headphone or iem gain setting for iems? I'd been using the headphone setting all this time, but I just switched to the iem setting. I think it's slightly less warm and bassy, but not really sure.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,927 of 2,974
Same here.

Btw, do you use the headphone or iem gain setting for iems? I'd been using the headphone setting all this time, but I just switched to the iem setting. I think it's slightly less warm and bassy, but not really sure.
Where do you go to change this setting?

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,929 of 2,974
Just in options; with the P1 it's in the bottom right corner. "Headphone mode: OFF/ON"
so if I put headphone off any audio change ?

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #1,932 of 2,974
Volume will drop down significantly;

As for quality, I'm not sure if the output impedance changes - anyone can chime in here. As I said, I think it might be slightly less warm and have slightly less mid-bass but not sure yet..

i have the same impressions flick. i always use HP mode as that gives the 300 ohm VE Zen that I have a bit more power and volume. And yes, switching between earphone and hp mode, made it clear to me that hp mode makes notes sound thicker and snappier but maybe more fatuiging if used for extended time at higher than normal volume. at ideal volume, everything sounds better than the earphone mode at least for me. maybe because im using a high impedance earbuds. for the more sensitive iems, i guess the earphone mode will be sufficient but that i cannot confirm right now.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,933 of 2,974
i have the same impressions flick. i always use HP mode as that gives the 300 ohm VE Zen that I have a bit more power and volume. And yes, switching between earphone and hp mode, made it clear to me that hp mode makes notes sound thicker and snappier but maybe more fatuiging if used for extended time at higher than normal volume. at ideal volume, everything sounds better than the earphone mode at least for me. maybe because im using a high impedance earbuds. for the more sensitive iems, i guess the earphone mode will be sufficient but that i cannot confirm right now.

Ah good to hear that someone recognizes it. I hear it mainly with the extremely sensitive Zeus, which is affected by output impedance. It will get warmer with higher impedance (I think).

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,934 of 2,974

Cheers,
Tim

This "feature" was introduced by firmware V2.12 and so far it is not possible to deactive this function. Of course you can use a FW < 2.12.

- If headphone/earphone is unplugged when the volume is higher than standard, automatically reset to

standard volume(hearing protection)

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,935 of 2,974
Hey guys - I am using fw 2.15 and AD01 earphones.  Upon removal from the jack the volume drops to 50 - and if memory serves me correctly the same thing happens when switching the headphone gain mode on or off - volume is automatically reduced to 50 which is annoying as can be.  Surely should be a user controlled setting to switch on or off.

I have also noticed when holding the + volume button down to ramp it up from low to my listening level that it acts a little squirrelly in that the sound output goes up and down on the way up.  Weird indeed.  Anyone else notice this?

Appreciate the feedback above.  I also notice some unusual "noise" during quiet passages at the beginning and ends of songs - almost like a digitization noise of sorts.  Definitely more pronounced with EQ on than off and with both mp3 and wav files.  Checked the same files on my DX90 with EQ on and absolutely no noise there even on high gain and volume.

Anyways, does Cowon monitor the forums here and address request, etc?

Cheers,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back