Cowon Plenue P1
Jan 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,906 of 2,974
  Can i inquire why? I am comparing the specs between the P1 and the S, and i do not really see a big difference (actually i do not really see one. Same CPU, same Battery, same DAC. ). So i must be missing something i guess. Not that i plan to switch, i enjoy the sound of the P1, and with HiFi, you can always chase the newest horse and spend more and more money, if you like, as well, but there are limits to my music collection, my hearing and my headphones where I then realize it makes no sense for me :) Advanced age, i need more bass :)

The only reason i would upgrade would be same or better sound with significantly improved battery life.

Frank

It might be a different amp module plus balanced and maybe a better screen? I dont think the P1 has an Amoled screen. However yes to me it does not look like a major upgrade.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,907 of 2,974
It might be a different amp module plus balanced and maybe a better screen? I dont think the P1 has an Amoled screen. However yes to me it does not look like a major upgrade.

The amp is very powerful 3.0 Vmr. Amoled on a dap ? Give me a break, who cares ? Balanced would increase that much in cost ? Thanks but no thanks.

If the improvements are not that big, I think for the price of on going and speculation of $1800 is a bummer.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,908 of 2,974
12 hr Battery I would have hoped on it.So I will demo it more to hear if there are any audio improvements.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,909 of 2,974
The screen is actually identical (per specs). So it is the amp section with more power and  with balanced outputs. 

I have no idea what the Plenue S will cost, but luckily for me, those are no reasons for an upgrade :)

Frank

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,911 of 2,974
The screen is actually identical (per specs). So it is the amp section with more power and  with balanced outputs. 

I have no idea what the Plenue S will cost, but luckily for me, those are no reasons for an upgrade :)

Frank

Here, this gives you an idea...give or take a few hundreds off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COWON-PLENUE-S-Digital-Media-Player-MP3-HiFi-Audio-24bit-128GB-3-7-Touch-/221986390953?hash=item33af6b83a9:g:IRYAAOSwaA5Wi2Ib

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,913 of 2,974
It offers 8.5 hours on (MP3), and or 8 hours on (high-res). It charges via 3.5-4 hours recharge time
I love the over all sound from the M and I have demoed every dap except the Tera. The only issue is the battery life it seems to go down quick but it hasnt turned off after three days.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,914 of 2,974
  Can i inquire why? I am comparing the specs between the P1 and the S, and i do not really see a big difference (actually i do not really see one. Same CPU, same Battery, same DAC. ). So i must be missing something i guess. Not that i plan to switch, i enjoy the sound of the P1, and with HiFi, you can always chase the newest horse and spend more and more money, if you like, as well, but there are limits to my music collection, my hearing and my headphones where I then realize it makes no sense for me :) Advanced age, i need more bass :)

The only reason i would upgrade would be same or better sound with significantly improved battery life.

Frank

I think the advantage of S over 1 is the 3.5mm balanced PO. I have not tested it but I learned from a friend who recently bought one that the battery life is as horrible as 1.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,916 of 2,974

I think the advantage of S over 1 is the 3.5mm balanced PO. I have not tested it but I learned from a friend who recently bought one that the battery life is as horrible as 1.

No surprise here, battery life should remain the same because the same power hungry DAC chip is used, it produces good sound by uses lots of power...

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,917 of 2,974
Did anyone buy a EU version of the Plenue 1 ?
I tested it today with HA-FX850 and found the output to be VERY weak, even though these IEMs are very easy to drive.
It was even worse with ASG2.5 (which are a bit more hungry for power).

I never saw this before with Cowon DAPs because you could always deactivate the volume EU limitation, but this was quite a disappointment.
Also, the demo unit I tested was clearly unbalanced (surely a defect of this unit, I can't imagine this is common at this price).

Apart from this, the built was really nice, although I tend to prefer the brick form factor of their D2/C2/M2/D models, because they fit much better in pockets and the slightly thicker format is usually good for autonomy.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #1,918 of 2,974
I tested it today with HA-FX850 and found the output to be VERY weak, even though these IEMs are very easy to drive.

I never saw this before with Cowon DAPs because you could always deactivate the volume EU limitation, but this was quite a disappointment.
Also, the demo unit I tested was clearly unbalanced (surely a defect of this unit, I can't imagine this is common at this price).

Apart from this, the built was really nice, although I tend to prefer the brick form factor of their D2/C2/M2/D models, because they fit much better in pockets and the slightly thicker format is usually good for autonomy.

There is a setting that lowers the gain in software, you might want to check if it would make enough difference to you. It shows on the top bar of the screen as a pair of earphones when the the low gain is activated.

Having said that my CE6P, Finder X1 and SD2 are loud enough at around 70-85 with the low gain setting on I think it goes all the way to 140 or 120 never checked but I think anything above 90-95 will be too loud for me as is. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,919 of 2,974
I'm asking this in both the "P" and the "M" forums since the firmware is pretty identical. I'm trying to identify what a rapid red/green blinking LED means. When I charge my "M" it often switches to this type of LED blink and I can't find reference to it. I'm also finding the battery life to be pretty poor and I'm wondering if they're connected.

Any ideas?

Many thanks. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,920 of 2,974

In previous Cowons you could install firmware from other areas of the world that didn't have the EU volume limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back