Cowon Plenue P1
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,021 of 2,974
Please Help!!!!!!!

I just received the P1 today and it does not have enough output to properly drive either the Sennheiser HD650 or the Audeze LCD-2.  Around volume 110 or so it will start to clip.  Okay fair enough.  Decided to connect the headphone out directly to my Oppo HA-1 amp using 1/8" stereo jack to rca cable to the rear analog rca inputs of the HA-1.  Tried both headphone on and off modes and still the same problem.  Very distorted clipped sound.  Tried connecting the P1 directly to an integrated amp.  Same problem.  Tried my old Cowon S9 directly into the Oppo and integrated amp, works beautifully. Also tried the line out of my DX100 dap, works beautifully on the HA-1 and also on my integrated amp.

Does the P1's headphone out not suitable to connect to any amp???  Doesn't make sense.  Do I have a defective unit?????

So then I try to use an easier to drive headphone - the JVC SZ2000.  Drives them just fine with deep bass. 

Please help - if the headphone out can't be connected to an external amp, this expensive thing is going back!!!

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,022 of 2,974
  Please Help!!!!!!!

I just received the P1 today and it does not have enough output to properly drive either the Sennheiser HD650 or the Audeze LCD-2.  Around volume 110 or so it will start to clip.  Okay fair enough.  Decided to connect the headphone out directly to my Oppo HA-1 amp using 1/8" stereo jack to rca cable to the rear analog rca inputs of the HA-1.  Tried both headphone on and off modes and still the same problem.  Very distorted clipped sound.  Tried connecting the P1 directly to an integrated amp.  Same problem.  Tried my old Cowon S9 directly into the Oppo and integrated amp, works beautifully. Also tried the line out of my DX100 dap, works beautifully on the HA-1 and also on my integrated amp.

Does the P1's headphone out not suitable to connect to any amp???  Doesn't make sense.  Do I have a defective unit?????

So then I try to use an easier to drive headphone - the JVC SZ2000.  Drives them just fine with deep bass. 

Please help - if the headphone out can't be connected to an external amp, this expensive thing is going back!!!

Have you tried using the optical toslink connection? Optical is the only true line output the P1 has.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,023 of 2,974
The optical toslink connection is digital.  All other mp3 players I have owned, the analog headphone out can be connected to any amp or to any aux input of any audio system, such as a car's stereo.  Why is this one different?

So are you saying that the only way the P1 can be amplified is use it as a digital transport only?

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,024 of 2,974
  IMO purely on sound Q.

3.P1
2.Calyx M
1.PAW GOLD

Keep in mind that PAW is prob the best build, but no artwork(if u care),best battery by far too, Calyx is a beauty N1, P1 is best form factor and value out of the 3
beerchug.gif

Just a quick follow up question, you say the P1 is the best value of the 3 - could you comment on this? :)

Just where i am looking the price difference isnt that big between the Calyx and the Cowon, and if the calyx is better in SQ - what makes the P1 better value?

Also could you comment on their ability to drive headphones.

Thanks for any help - really having a hard time deciding what player to get.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,027 of 2,974
I have now verified on 4 different systems, the analog headphone out on the P1 cannot be connected to any amplifier, headphone or shelf, or even any powered speakers.  :frowning2: 

Sound quality is good, closest I have heard to analog sound on a dap using digital files but I don't understand why Cowon didn't design it in a way that the output can be used with an amp? It is an audiophile grade dap and most audiophile grade full sized headphones require a good amount of power to drive.  The built in amplifier circuit does not have enough power to drive these headphones adequately yet the device is not designed to work with an external analog amp.

The only way is to use the digital toslink out - but that defeats the purpose of having an amazing TI dac chip and that pico-second jitter clock inside the device. 

I'm very confused.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,028 of 2,974
I have now verified on 4 different systems, the analog headphone out on the P1 cannot be connected to any amplifier, headphone or shelf, or even any powered speakers.  :frowning2: 

Sound quality is good, closest I have heard to analog sound on a dap using digital files but I don't understand why Cowon didn't design it in a way that the output can be used with an amp? It is an audiophile grade dap and most audiophile grade full sized headphones require a good amount of power to drive.  The built in amplifier circuit does not have enough power to drive these headphones adequately yet the device is not designed to work with an external analog amp.

The only way is to use the digital toslink out - but that defeats the purpose of having an amazing TI dac chip and that pico-second jitter clock inside the device. 

I'm very confused.

Jet audio site just states use max vol as line out.
Says use max volume in earphone mode to use earphone output as line out.
http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/plenue1/features.html

Bottom of page

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,031 of 2,974
Thanks, I tried headphone off and max volume. It works but doesnt have the sound quality anywhere near a line out would have, even one from a low end cd player. I also tried the toslink (just picked up a cable). Same issue.

Easy to drive headphones sound awesome.

Cowon really should have implemented a true line out. Perhaps my device is defective. Playing a normal cd in my home audio system is jaw dropping - even when the DX100 is connected to it and plays through it's line out.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,032 of 2,974
Thanks, I tried headphone off and max volume. It works but doesnt have the sound quality anywhere near a line out would have, even one from a low end cd player. I also tried the toslink (just picked up a cable). Same issue.

Easy to drive headphones sound awesome.

Cowon really should have implemented a true line out. Perhaps my device is defective. Playing a normal cd in my home audio system is jaw dropping - even when the DX100 is connected to it and plays through it's line out.

Your machine must be faulty? Optical out sounds just fine. Likewise line out into all my headphone amps sounds good.
Cannot be cable issue as you have tried various. If you don't like sound from optical then you have faulty unit.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,033 of 2,974
Your machine must be faulty? Optical out sounds just fine. Likewise line out into all my headphone amps sounds good.
Cannot be cable issue as you have tried various. If you don't like sound from optical then you have faulty unit.

I am now playing Malpractice by Dr Feelgood, Japanese remaster. Line to ALO Continental and it sounds awesome.

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,034 of 2,974
Got my Dignis case in the mail on Friday shipped from South Korea. Unfortunately it was impossible to find the black version anywhere online for shipment to the US. I even checked with Dignis directly and they told me that only the "limited edition" alligator skin leather versions were available. Apparently the black version isn't even in production any more, so I had to get the red version to avoid the ugly alligator print.

Here's a picture with my Earwerkz Legend R (a wonderful pairing btw).

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #1,035 of 2,974
Got my Dignis case in the mail on Friday shipped from South Korea. Unfortunately it was impossible to find the black version anywhere online for shipment to the US. I even checked with Dignis directly and they told me that only the "limited edition" alligator skin leather versions were available. Apparently the black version isn't even in production any more, so I had to get the red version to avoid the ugly alligator print.

Here's a picture with my Earwerkz Legend R (a wonderful pairing btw).

Is that the Estron Linum? How does it influence your CIEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back