Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #466 of 2,974

from seeko.co.kr

I am listening now, it's very good. fast UI, beautiful multi skins(include level meter), and nice sound. The Jeteffect is good, but the normal sound is better to me.

Don't worry about p1's normal mode. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #467 of 2,974
Also, they show that the optical out is also line-out.  Glad the specs match unlike A&K, although I expect near 0 output impedance for an expensive DAP, but unfortunately P1's output impedance is around 3 ohms.

I wish they did more detailed analysis of the FR.  They could have tried more loads including headphone load.  Most of those measurements are only useful to verify the specs, but other than that not very telling.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #468 of 2,974
So, is the P1 worth the price?
Or it would be better to buy another dap for the same price? ( which you advice me? )
I'm very interesting by the P1, even if I intented to take the ak120...

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #469 of 2,974

from seeko.co.kr

I am listening now, it's very good. fast UI, beautiful multi skins(include level meter), and nice sound. The Jeteffect is good, but the normal sound is better to me.

Don't worry about p1's normal mode. :D

Any comparisons to AK240 and Calyx M? :wink:

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #471 of 2,974
So, is the P1 worth the price?
Or it would be better to buy another dap for the same price? ( which you advice me? )
I'm very interesting by the P1, even if I intented to take the ak120...

I think it is better to choose p1 than ak120. More detail, definitely more separation. The separation is powerful strong point of the p1.

I can not select which one is good between ak120 MK2 and p1 yet, cause I don't have a chance to listen.

I'll go to a audio shop next monday, and listen ak series. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #472 of 2,974

Any comparisons to AK240 and Calyx M?

I don't know about the M. My acquaintance said the M sounds good, but the UI is uncomfortable. In addition, the battery time is too short. so it's out of my choice. 
biggrin.gif

The ak240 is very nice dap, wider sound stage than the p1, can play a DSD natively.

I think the ak240 is best match for Classic, the p1 is best match  for Jazz.

A string sound of the p1 is fantastic, and a saxophone sound is very attractive.

I'll go to a audio shop and listen ak series next Mon. After that, I'll write something. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #473 of 2,974
Thank you. I await th next for your impressives about the ak series
The ak240 is the best but very expansive :wink:

quote name="youkeum" url="/t/709051/cowon-plenue-p1/465#post_10762735"] I think it is better to choose p1 than ak120. More detail, definitely more separation. The separation is powerful strong point of the p1.

I can not select which one is good between ak120 MK2 and p1 yet, cause I don't have a chance to listen.

I'll go to a audio shop next monday, and listen ak series. 
[/quote]

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #474 of 2,974
Well, pricing wise it's much lower than the AK240, and the measured numbers are verified to be correct which provides more confidence in the product.  AK240's output impedance value was fudged as the measured value was much higher than put out by iriver(bad iriver, bad!!)  Whether the improvements are heard audibly is another matter so please let us know how the P1 sounds.  Thanks.

Anybody have measurements to the any of the AK series DAPs?  I want to compare it to their provided specs on the website.  Would like to Caly M measurements if it's out there.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #475 of 2,974
Any better couple headphone with the P1

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #477 of 2,974
  Youkeum, can you say something about the fit and finish of the product, does it look and feel like a $1200 item?

The p1 is definitely good finish. It is unibody like a Macbook. The led also nice. When you charge the DAP, It's red light. or when you play a music, it's blue.

The weight is little heavy. I like this. It feels strong. 

However some of the p1 has a problem now. the power button is crooked, some people receive A/S because of this problem. They replace it.

A stock case is the only one thing I disappointed. so I will buy a Dignis case.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #478 of 2,974
Oh damn!
So what headphone or earing you recomend us?

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #479 of 2,974
My $0.02:
  1. A&K's UI is more fluid and intuitive. Cowon's isn't too shabby, but can be a little confusing, such as figuring out how to switch between playlists but also something as simple as seeking on a track. It's not laggy like Calyx's, but the touch interface feels a little "off". I like the VU meters; it'll help people see how "hot" a track runs. I don't like a time lapse meter that only shows you number of seconds elapsed, instead of minutes and seconds.
  2. Sound feels purposely made "analog"-esque. Not quite fully analog, but sort of a faux-analog. Sounds better than how I'm describing it, but it can be a little disconcerting at first.
  3. Good detail levels, but isn't in your face with them.
  4. Build quality is actually not as good as I expected, but pretty good overall. It's lighter than the AK120 Titan.
  5. Style-wise, it does feel a little bland. It's nice and modern with kinda-sorta chamfered edges and all that stuff, but it really is just a rectangular box. The new AK100/120-II look far more interesting despite also being a derivative of a rectangular box.
  6. Overall, I think it's a better buy than the AK120 and AK240, but it'll depend on your personal tastes. I have the feeling the sound of the P1 isn't universally appealing (not that it's bad). Also, if you value UI above all else and think measurements are a wash, get a ZX1 or the AK100-II/120-II/240. Those interfaces are still better.

Click for More Thoughts and Pictures:​

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #480 of 2,974
  My $0.02:
  1. A&K's UI is more fluid and intuitive. Cowon's isn't too shabby, but can be a little confusing, such as figuring out how to switch between playlists but also something as simple as seeking on a track. It's not laggy like Calyx's, but the touch interface feels a little "off". I like the VU meters; it'll help people see how "hot" a track runs. I don't like a time lapse meter that only shows you number of seconds elapsed, instead of minutes and seconds.
  2. Sound feels purposely made "analog"-esque. Not quite fully analog, but sort of a faux-analog. Sounds better than how I'm describing it, but it can be a little disconcerting at first.
  3. Good detail levels, but isn't in your face with them.
  4. Build quality is actually not as good as I expected, but pretty good overall. It's lighter than the AK120 Titan.
  5. Style-wise, it does feel a little bland. It's nice and modern with kinda-sorta chamfered edges and all that stuff, but it really is just a rectangular box. The new AK100/120-II look far more interesting despite also being a derivative of a rectangular box.
  6. Overall, I think it's a better buy than the AK120 and AK240, but it'll depend on your personal tastes. I have the feeling the sound of the P1 isn't universally appealing (not that it's bad). Also, if you value UI above all else and think measurements are a wash, get a ZX1 or the AK100-II/120-II/240. Those interfaces are still better.

Click for More Thoughts and Pictures:​

Price aside, how would you rate P1's SQ and soundstage/imaging/transparency, etc compared to AK240?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back