Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 10, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 2,974
Hope it has digital out !!

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #20 of 2,974
Mar 10, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #21 of 2,974
  The design is incredible.
Cowon is well know for their quality and fair pricing.

Definitely. My J3 has all the scuffs, scratches, bruises and marks to prove it. I have dropped mine more times than I can count.

I am also a huge fan of their UI. I can go from listening on shuffle to every song and go straight to the album of the currently playing song on the fly and still remain in shuffle. Something so simple yet every player I've tried not made by Cowon fails to do this.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #22 of 2,974
Very interesting player. Welcome back to the audiophile daps world Cowon. I hope you can do magical player we have been waiting for. I read 128 gb storage plus sd card support. Is it micro sd or standard sd card? It would make huge difference to me.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 2,974

Definitely. My J3 has all the scuffs, scratches, bruises and marks to prove it. I have dropped mine more times than I can count.

Same here! I still use my J3 daily (mostly for audiobooks, but still some music, here & there)

The J3 is virtually indestructible and the battery life is amazing.

But it's crap for driving CIEMs, unfortunately - it just doesn't deliver enough current or control.

I am also a huge fan of their UI. I can go from listening on shuffle to every song and go straight to the album of the currently playing song on the fly and still remain in shuffle. Something so simple yet every player I've tried not made by Cowon fails to do this.

I wouldn't call myself a 'huge fan', but, in general, I do quite like the J3 UI, and I feel it has been unfairly criticised as being awful - it's not perfect, but it does more things right than it does wrong.

I wish I could say the same for the sheer STUPIDITY of placing the power button directly on the opposite side of the DAP to the volume buttons - so every time one squeezes the DAP in order to press the volume button, one simultaneously powers-on the screen, or powers-off the DAP entirely. Whoever designed that aspect of the J3 should have been sacked. It's basic, basic, basic ergonomics. But Samsung's GS2 has the same stupid error, too.

Anyway, looking at the render for this Plenue 1, the power button appears to have been moved - hopefully to the top edge of the DAP.

But I'm cautious about this Plenue 1 - much as I like my trusty old J3, I do not consider it to be in true audiophile-DAP league, so the question is whether or not Cowon can really step into full-fat audiophile territory. They certainly have engineering talent and experience in general DAP design - and that may actually be the hardest aspect of DAP making, so there is some hope that, with the right motivation from their fellow Korean competitors (iRiver and Calyx), they might improve their game and bring out a proper audiophile device.   Just making it capable of decoding 24/192 will not automatically accomplish that, though. It needs thorough hi-fi engineering of the hardware, as all of us Head-fiers know.

Speaking for myself, I'd actually be content with the same screen and UI from the J3, with just the audio electronics re-engineered (in a larger chassis, of course) to serious audiophile standards. Oh, and the firmware updated to permit PROPER dynamic playlists.  That would be pretty quick for Cowon engineers to accomplish, and would make for a great audiophile DAP. But with the Plenue name, it'll doubtless be Android, so who knows what their design priorities will be with this device.

I'll watch with interest, and I'll be cheering Cowon on, but I won't get too excited just yet; Cowon have yet to prove to me that they are serious audiophiles.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #24 of 2,974
I must be the only Head-Fier confused in buying the next dap. I jumped aboard Calyx, ZX-1& X5 threads and didn't do ahead with anything. Now the P1 arrives. Too many choices unlike a few years ago.

Anyway I sold my Z2 (felt it was outdated in terms of operating system) but the sound was phenomenal!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #25 of 2,974
I must be the only Head-Fier confused in buying the next dap. I jumped aboard Calyx, ZX-1& X5 threads and didn't do ahead with anything. Now the P1 arrives. Too many choices unlike a few years ago.

Anyway I sold my Z2 (felt it was outdated in terms of operating system) but the sound was phenomenal!
ZX1 and X5 sound better than the Z2, ZX1 would be a logical upgrade if you use mostly iems.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #27 of 2,974

I am in your same mood, but, luckily, I still have my rockboxed samsung yp-r0 functioning. When it will broken, I will upgrade to something else.
Personally I had bad experiences with some Sony devices and honestly I think that sony entered the audiophile world in a self referential way that I didn't like (no expandable memory just to say the first thing that comes in my mind).
Fiio is in my opinion the most interesting offer in the market today, but if I look at the X3 it is a coarse and unrefined DAP. Yes the X5 is a great leap forward but I never had it into my hands and so I can't say anything about it.
For Cowon it is different. I already owned 2 devices and I listened to a lot of the recent Cowon production. So I trust Cowon and I hope that they will produce with their long-time experience a DAP that will assert oneself not for being overpriced, but for its stunning SQ, UI, appearance, functionality and usability.
Otherwise, I will give Fiio a chance.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #29 of 2,974
Cowon have yet to seriously impress me with their SQ.

Those that rave about how excellent Cowon SQ is, are, with respect, quite clearly not familiar with how a high-end DAP sounds.

My J3 sounds respectable, but it's definitely, definitely, not high-end sound quality. Not even close.

I've read that the J3 sounds about on-par with the Sansa Clip Zip. I ended up getting the Clip Zip in that case, and because of the fact that the J3 had some serious bricking problems with Mac OS X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back