Cowon Plenue P1
Apr 25, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,161 of 2,974
  it makes sense when u need to drive more power hungry headphones, mojo with it dac/amp is more powerful than p1

Buy a desktop. If they're power hungry they're certainly not portable. Taking big phones outside is real problematic, generally they're open so noise flows in and out, they're big so cumbersome and they generally don't tend to enjoy being slung in a bag. I'd rather lose a little SQ than a $1k headphone...

For the money, something like a Burson Soloist, Schitt Valhalla or Lyr, Violectric V90/V100 or Lake People G105/107/109 would be infinitely better at driving something like your Oppo PM1 than the Mojo. As most people have pointed out ad nauseum the P1 as a transport for a portable set-up is overkill ( Desktop sure). If you really want the Mojo get it as an alternate to the P1 (pairing it with a phone - IOS or Android) rather than a complement.

regards,

Giles

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #2,162 of 2,974
  Buy a desktop. If they're power hungry they're certainly not portable. Taking big phones outside is real problematic, generally they're open so noise flows in and out, they're big so cumbersome and they generally don't tend to enjoy being slung in a bag. I'd rather lose a little SQ than a $1k headphone...

For the money, something like a Burson Soloist, Schitt Valhalla or Lyr, Violectric V90/V100 or Lake People G105/107/109 would be infinitely better at driving something like your Oppo PM1 than the Mojo. As most people have pointed out ad nauseum the P1 as a transport for a portable set-up is overkill ( Desktop sure). If you really want the Mojo get it as an alternate to the P1 (pairing it with a phone - IOS or Android) rather than a complement.

regards,

Giles

totally agree, but i do not take them out, i just like to listen to oppo in different rooms in my house so it is a transportable set up, i do not like to be restricted to listen to my headphones in one place only, as to me that defies the purpose of headphones, if I want to listen to music in only one place i would use my home system instead. I have a  nice garden as well which is very quiet and i like to listen there as well

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #2,163 of 2,974
  totally agree, but i do not take them out, i just like to listen to oppo in different rooms in my house so it is a transportable set up, i do not like to be restricted to listen to my headphones in one place only, as to me that defies the purpose of headphones, if I want to listen to music in only one place i would use my home system instead. I have a  nice garden as well which is very quiet and i like to listen there as well

I'm surprised you're still looking for different DAPs after ranting about how they all sound the same. Looking for that elusive 4% improvement in SQ over an iPhone are we? lol

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #2,164 of 2,974

I'm surprised you're still looking for different DAPs after ranting about how they all sound the same. Looking for that elusive 4% improvement in SQ over an iPhone are we? lol

i remember u well enough :)

did u not cause a stir in one of the other threads and we already had a nice time going at it :)

this hobby is about the 0.0005% percent so 4% is a huge huge huge improvement

Peace

May 1, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #2,166 of 2,974
I think I have put the P1 through over 50 hours now. It certainly sounds so much better than I first got them. I have been listening to them with my ES60s which I got about the same time. So I'm not sure if it's the ES60s burning in or the P1, but the IE80 and XBA-Z5 both sound better now. It doesn't make sense how you burn in a DAP when everything is digital, but the improvement has been so significant, it's not just mental burn in.

It's like everything came alive. Every chord, drum-beat, cymbal strike pop with such organic and livelike realism. It's absolutely breathtaking.

May 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #2,167 of 2,974
  I think I have put the P1 through over 50 hours now. It certainly sounds so much better than I first got them. I have been listening to them with my ES60s which I got about the same time. So I'm not sure if it's the ES60s burning in or the P1, but the IE80 and XBA-Z5 both sound better now. It doesn't make sense how you burn in a DAP when everything is digital, but the improvement has been so significant, it's not just mental burn in.

It's like everything came alive. Every chord, drum-beat, cymbal strike pop with such organic and livelike realism. It's absolutely breathtaking.

I've felt the same. Plenue 1 and Plenue D have improved considerably after 50hrs or so. Same has happened to my LG V10 (ESS SABRE 9018 DAC), so at this point I'm convinced this is not placebo.

May 9, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,168 of 2,974
I came from the Plenue D thread here to ask. I like the D a lot. I like more EQ features and more clarity that I hear about in the higher models. I can't decide on the M or P1. What is the major difference in sound between these two? I read the M is a downgrade? I know all the other features but outside of that I can't decide why the M exists with more features and better battery life over the P1 if it's a downgrade? I see the M has more user savable settings also which is nice also. I also like the Onkyo dp-x1, and X7 from what I read but they seem riddled with problems. Any advise?

Thank you.

May 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #2,169 of 2,974
  I came from the Plenue D thread here to ask. I like the D a lot. I like more EQ features and more clarity that I hear about in the higher models. I can't decide on the M or P1. What is the major difference in sound between these two? I read the M is a downgrade? I know all the other features but outside of that I can't decide why the M exists with more features and better battery life over the P1 if it's a downgrade? I see the M has more user savable settings also which is nice also. I also like the Onkyo dp-x1, and X7 from what I read but they seem riddled with problems. Any advise?

Thank you.

M uses a different DAC chip that's slightly cheaper than the DAC in the Plenue S and 1. Whether or not it's "worse" than the higher-tier DAC in the S and 1 is up to you. Many people report they aren't able to notice much--if any--difference between the M and 1. I did a comparison of the D and the 1 a couple months back and the differences were pretty subtle. The 1 is definitely better than the D, but the differences aren't night-and-day obvious.

Here are the comparisons I posted: http://www.head-fi.org/t/789488/cowon-plenue-d/1665#post_12406527

May 9, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,170 of 2,974
  M uses a different DAC chip that's slightly cheaper than the DAC in the Plenue S and 1. Whether or not it's "worse" than the higher-tier DAC in the S and 1 is up to you. Many people report they aren't able to notice much--if any--difference between the M and 1. I did a comparison of the D and the 1 a couple months back and the differences were pretty subtle. The 1 is definitely better than the D, but the differences aren't night-and-day obvious.

Here are the comparisons I posted: http://www.head-fi.org/t/789488/cowon-plenue-d/1665#post_12406527

Thank you! That is the post I was looking for. Cheers!

May 9, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,171 of 2,974
  Thank you! That is the post I was looking for. Cheers!

No problem. Btw, I also compared the Plenue S and 1 to the Fiio X7 at one point. I left some impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709051/cowon-plenue-p1/2085#post_12461443

TL;DR: X7 is a brighter sound signature, which some people might prefer but sounds really grating to my ears. Soundstage is larger on the X7, but depth and layering is superior in the Plenue S/1.

Basically it comes down to: do you want a warmer, smoother, "analog" type of sound? Or do you want a colder, brighter, more neutral Sabre-type sound? There are people that fall on either side of the fence, but I drastically prefer the Plenues.

I haven't heard the Onkyo DP-X1, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more similar to the Fiio X7 since it uses the same DAC chip.

May 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2,172 of 2,974

No problem. Btw, I also compared the Plenue S and 1 to the Fiio X7 at one point. I left some impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/709051/cowon-plenue-p1/2085#post_12461443

TL;DR: X7 is a brighter sound signature, which some people might prefer but sounds really grating to my ears. Soundstage is larger on the X7, but depth and layering is superior in the Plenue S/1.

Basically it comes down to: do you want a warmer, smoother, "analog" type of sound? Or do you want a colder, brighter, more neutral Sabre-type sound? There are people that fall on either side of the fence, but I drastically prefer the Plenues.

I haven't heard the Onkyo DP-X1, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more similar to the Fiio X7 since it uses the same DAC chip.

Makes sense. Thank you.

May 9, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #2,173 of 2,974
I have experienced a pretty noticeable improvement from D to P1, totally different level and a subtle improvement over FiiO X7, but P1 is still superior. X7 sounds more fatiguing, but very detailed with a wide soundstage, P1 timbre is superior, certain instruments sound more natural and realistic. Superior instrument separation too. Plenue 1 is the real winner, none of those players touch the timbre and separation of the Burr-Brown DAC, with the exception of the SABRE 9018 (FiiO X7/LG V10), which is still a few steps behind. Plenue D is very good for the price, but does not compete in this league.

May 9, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,174 of 2,974
  I have noticed a pretty noticeable improvement from D to P1, totally different level and a subtle improvement over FiiO X7. X7 sounds more fatiguing, P1 timbre is superior, certain instruments sound more natural and realistic. Superior instrument separation too. Plenue 1 is the real winner, none of those players touch the timbre and separation of the Burr-Brown DAC, with the exception of the SABRE 9018 (FiiO X7/LG V10), which is still a few steps behind. Plenue D is very good, but does not compete in this league.

Awesome. I'm so close to ordering one. Still scratching my head on the M. It has more EQ settings but a different DAC. The price difference is null between the M and P1 but the EQ settings get me on the M, but I can't resist knowing the P1 has the better DAC.

May 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,175 of 2,974
  Awesome. I'm so close to ordering one. Still scratching my head on the M. It has more EQ settings but a different DAC. The price difference is null between the M and P1 but the EQ settings get me on the M, but I can't resist knowing the P1 has the better DAC.

Some people say that they don't notice the difference from D to M, so I would definitely go P1. It's a real step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back