Cowon Plenue P1
Apr 2, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #2,116 of 2,974
What kind of cable are you using to which amp?

I don't know. Either something from Amazon or maybe Monoprice cables. From the Mytek DAC into the amp (Woo Audio WA5) I'm using some Monoprice XLR. I definitely prefer the desktop setup to the P1 (which sounds really good on its own).

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,117 of 2,974
I plugged my newly acquired LCD3f into the P1 today. It actually drove it to very good level with headphone mode on at 80ish. It sounded pretty good too. I have nothing to compare it to as I just got the LCD3f with no burn in. Ordering ifi Micro DSD tomorrow. Will figure out the amp later.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,118 of 2,974
Guys I'm thinking about getting the second patch of Cavalli Liquid Carbons. If I use the P1 as USB DAC, is the current line out option going to work well with the Carbon? Sorry complete newb at this stuff.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #2,121 of 2,974
Potentially stupid question from someone just beginning to explore the area of portable headphone amps.  I have the P1 and am looking for a suitable amp.  Quite happy to take recommendations (got as far as reading up on the Oppo HA-2) but my question concerns the output chain and more specifically the DAC..  I know the P1 has an excellent DAC which contributes significantly to its analogue sound signature , but if I add an amp with its own built-in DAC, does the amp DAC negate/supersede the P1 DAC?  Could I potentially end up with more power but at the expense of the sound signature I know and love?

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,122 of 2,974
  Potentially stupid question from someone just beginning to explore the area of portable headphone amps.  I have the P1 and am looking for a suitable amp.  Quite happy to take recommendations (got as far as reading up on the Oppo HA-2) but my question concerns the output chain and more specifically the DAC..  I know the P1 has an excellent DAC which contributes significantly to its analogue sound signature , but if I add an amp with its own built-in DAC, does the amp DAC negate/supersede the P1 DAC?  Could I potentially end up with more power but at the expense of the sound signature I know and love?

If you're using the optical out from the P1 to an external DAC/AMP, it's just a digital file transport. The actual Digital-to-Analog conversion happens on the amp side (hence the term "DAC"), so the P1 would basically just be an expensive transport as its DAC would be bypassed entirely.

The only way to use an external amp with the P1 while still using its DAC would be to use the headphone out as a line-out by cranking the volume up to 140 (I think that's what I've seen quoted elsewhere in this thread).

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,123 of 2,974
  If you're using the optical out from the P1 to an external DAC/AMP, it's just a digital file transport. The actual Digital-to-Analog conversion happens on the amp side (hence the term "DAC"), so the P1 would basically just be an expensive transport as its DAC would be bypassed entirely.

The only way to use an external amp with the P1 while still using its DAC would be to use the headphone out as a line-out by cranking the volume up to 140 (I think that's what I've seen quoted elsewhere in this thread).

If you crank the headphone volume to 140 (max) as stated in the manual to be used as an analog line out, then the sound distorts  heavily.  Cowon knows this issue and has not addressed it.  The best you can do is turn the volume down on the P1 until the distortion stops and turn up the volume on  your amp.  This is the best one can do since the Cowon does not have a dedicated analog line out.  

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,124 of 2,974
  If you crank the headphone volume to 140 (max) as stated in the manual to be used as an analog line out, then the sound distorts  heavily.  Cowon knows this issue and has not addressed it.  The best you can do is turn the volume down on the P1 until the distortion stops and turn up the volume on  your amp.  This is the best one can do since the Cowon does not have a dedicated analog line out.  

Thank you for the correction!

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,125 of 2,974
  Thank you for the correction!

You are welcome!  I was deceived by marketing when I purchased the P1.  They advertise that there is a line out but it is not a true line out, doesn't operate like a line out, and doesn't sound like one.  There is some serious impedance/voltage mismatch when connecting to a hifi setup at home.  I didn't return it because it is a great player with very few issues in comparison to the others.  It is also non-fatiguing because of its Burr Brown PCM1792A dac in comparison to the ESS's offerings.  

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,126 of 2,974
That's a shame. I hate fake line outs. Why do companies choose not to use a dedicated line out? Is it difficult to implement?

Regardless, even though I decided a few months ago, made a vow, not buying another DAP... Well, once again, I'm going back in my word... As usual in the world of head-fi. Purchase the Fiio X7 and now want more. Should have just enjoyed my lg v10 as I was quite happy.

I'm stuck between this, the S, and the mighty AK380cu, or should I say mightily overpriced AK380cu.

I'd love to experience the eq and DSP settings of Cowon as they are generally loved by those that use eq.

Just not sure if I should be foolish and purchase the Cowon S, or be realistic and get the P1. I won't use the balanced out, which seems to be the number one reason to purchase the S. I do know if I don't, my pea brain will always wonder about the S... It will gnaw away at me... Especially since I can afford it. If I didn't have the money, it wouldn't be an issue... I went through the same thing with the AK series and ultimately purchased the 240, just because it was "the best" at the time.

Also have a LPG coming in on loan next week, although I seriously doubt that will be a legitimate consideration because I just find the device to be unattractive. I'm weird like that.

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #2,127 of 2,974
That's a shame. I hate fake line outs. Why do companies choose not to use a dedicated line out? Is it difficult to implement?

Regardless, even though I decided a few months ago, made a vow, not buying another DAP... Well, once again, I'm going back in my word... As usual in the world of head-fi. Purchase the Fiio X7 and now want more. Should have just enjoyed my lg v10 as I was quite happy.

I'm stuck between this, the S, and the mighty AK380cu, or should I say mightily overpriced AK380cu.

I'd love to experience the eq and DSP settings of Cowon as they are generally loved by those that use eq.

Just not sure if I should be foolish and purchase the Cowon S, or be realistic and get the P1. I won't use the balanced out, which seems to be the number one reason to purchase the S. I do know if I don't, my pea brain will always wonder about the S... It will gnaw away at me... Especially since I can afford it. If I didn't have the money, it wouldn't be an issue... I went through the same thing with the AK series and ultimately purchased the 240, just because it was "the best" at the time.

Also have a LPG coming in on loan next week, although I seriously doubt that will be a legitimate consideration because I just find the device to be unattractive. I'm weird like that.

Its mostly of time / money / space constraints in their designs.  It is easy to implement and only requires a line driver opamp but would take up room for another 1/8" jack, a soic opamp, and a few resistors/caps.  After my purchase of the Onkyo dp-x1, I have decided not to purchase any more daps.  I have excitement for the first few weeks and then they just sit there and ends up being a waste of money.  I listen to music almost all the time but it has to be convenient.  The only time I listen to a portable unit is when I am at the gym, where I use my phone and some lightweight sport headphones that sound okay.  I don't want to be carrying around extra gear with me - call me lazy.  

I would go with the Plenue S, strictly for it's balanced out and better amplification.  It would mean rewiring your headphones.  Out of all the daps I have used, the Cowon's had the best interface/speed/eq and general usability but did not have a dedicated line out and a poor amp.  The Ibasso DX100 I had a superb line out that equaled high end shelf equipment but the start up time, user interface, and eq made it pretty much unusable to me.  That was a shame because it had a great headphone amp built in. 

If you aren't going to use the balanced out then you would be wasting money but from my experience on portable daps, balanced out has some of the best sound quality I have heard in comparison to the single ended out. 

Anyhow, I have stopped playing their game for right now as prices have skyrocketed.  As an engineer, the design isn't that difficult - they are using mostly text book circuits and raw electronic components have not increased in price that much yet there seems to be no end to the pricing hikes.  

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,128 of 2,974
AudioMan2013 great post bro. Thanks for the info. I have balanced cables, whiplash modular, so. That's not an issue. When I wound AK daps, including the AK240, just never heard much of a difference. I know that is highly device dependent...

Anyway, I'd rather have the S because buying the P would drive me insane. Thinking the S was better. I have mental issues.

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,129 of 2,974
@AudioMan2013 great post bro. Thanks for the info. I have balanced cables, whiplash modular, so. That's not an issue. When I wound AK daps, including the AK240, just never heard much of a difference. I know that is highly device dependent...

Anyway, I'd rather have the S because buying the P would drive me insane. Thinking the S was better. I have mental issues.

go for it man,

I am already in rehab with a diagnosis being a dap addict

then i have to sign up for 3 more rehab interventions, one for iems and the other for headphones and one for amp/dac. It will be a long recovery journey. I hope I will not infect rehab staff and they themselves will become addicts

I asked them to have a room for u next to me :wink:

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,130 of 2,974
  go for it man,

I am already in rehab with a diagnosis being a dap addict

then i have to sign up for 3 more rehab interventions, one for iems and the other for headphones and one for amp/dac. It will be a long recovery journey. I hope I will not infect rehab staff and they themselves will become addicts

I asked them to have a room for u next to me :wink:

That is what I love about Head-Fi forums.  I feel like among friends that feel the same way as I do.  I am currently in rehab and it has been very difficult.  No major audio purchases in about 6 weeks but the urge is there and at times it is extremely stong.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back