Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #451 of 545
I received my PM2 today, these are my first impressions:
upload_2019-11-29_15-59-14.png
1. The UI takes sometime to get used to especially when coming from X7II
2. The boot time is lightening fast
3. I have yet update to the latest firmware
4. Most important thing...JetEffect 7. I have been spending a lot of time trying different apps and messing so much with their EQs, they never satisfied me. I have spent less than 5 minutes with JetEffect to get my desired sound......boom. It felt like I have been messing with wrong gear all this time..ha ha.

Now the sound...loaded a few songs I listen to a lot, plugged in my HD6xx with SE cable. I was actually very disappointed, it just couldn't power them. PM2 pushes them loud but the bass is not controlled. I attached my tiny little FiiO A3 and it immediately put a smile on my face the sound is silky smooth yet detailed and the bass is analog with absolute control. I will update to latest firmware, let it burn and spend more time with it see if it changes anything.

Now the best part..I plugged in my HD598 which I owned for 7 years never sounded this good, I was always underwhelmed with their bass and now with little bit of bass boost they sound completely different to me. I was never sure if adding a decent AMP will do any good for me with X7II, now I am sure I definitely need an AMP for HD6XX and PM2.

It's not an end game DAP but must have in your collection IMO.

I am thinking of getting ifi xCan or XDuoo XD-05 plus. If anyone owns both, please let me know which works best with HD6XX and PM2.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #452 of 545

4. Most important thing...JetEffect 7. I have been spending a lot of time trying different apps and messing so much with their EQs, they never satisfied me. I have spent less than 5 minutes with JetEffect to get my desired sound......boom. It felt like I have been messing with wrong gear all this time..ha ha.

Now the sound...loaded a few songs I listen to a lot, plugged in my HD6xx with SE cable. I was actually very disappointed, it just couldn't power them. PM2 pushes them loud but the bass is not controlled. I attached my tiny little FiiO A3 and it immediately put a smile on my face the sound is silky smooth yet detailed and the bass is analog with absolute control. I will update to latest firmware, let it burn and spend more time with it see if it changes anything.

Now the best part..I plugged in my HD598 which I owned for 7 years never sounded this good, I was always underwhelmed with their bass and now with little bit of bass boost they sound completely different to me. I was never sure if adding a decent AMP will do any good for me with X7II, now I am sure I definitely need an AMP for HD6XX and PM2.

I am thinking of getting ifi xCan or XDuoo XD-05 plus. If anyone owns both, please let me know which works best with HD6XX and PM2.
20190905_125409.jpg
20190905_125409.jpg

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #454 of 545
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #456 of 545

I have both of those amps , I sort of like the ifi a bit more.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #459 of 545
After the firmware update everything changes.
It's driving HD6XX better than FiiO A3 now but in quite recordings I am maxing out the volume.
The UI is much better now.
This is an older dap , but with a very nice Burr Brown dac. It gives beautiful bass , like huge round balls of bass rolling down a hill. It does great with an amp when you using headphones.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #461 of 545
I simply love this player, I have decided to sell my X7II which up for sale if anyone is interested.
I think its best to have 3 daps , rotate use between them. Ones ears and brains will get bored with any great sound. By rotating them your ears and brain will forget its special sound then when you reuse it you will trick your ears and brain as if its a new sound.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #462 of 545
I think its best to have 3 daps , rotate use between them. Ones ears and brains will get bored with any great sound. By rotating them your ears and brain will forget its special sound then when you reuse it you will trick your ears and brain as if its a new sound.
I always do that I am selling it to get another DAP. May be M15 or Cayin N6II as I want more power.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #463 of 545
This is an older dap , but with a very nice Burr Brown dac. It gives beautiful bass , like huge round balls of bass rolling down a hill. It does great with an amp when you using headphones.
Exactly it brought back memories of my childhood when I was listening to Sony Walkman's analog sound. Most of the modern players make bass crisp and sound metallic or digital.
For $300 PM2 is a steal, if anyone looking for a pure analog sound. Initially I was boosting bass until I realized that on flat it already got one of the best bass response on portable gear.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #464 of 545
Exactly it brought back memories of my childhood when I was listening to Sony Walkman's analog sound. Most of the modern players make bass crisp and sound metallic or digital.
For $300 PM2 is a steal, if anyone looking for a pure analog sound. Initially I was boosting bass until I realized that on flat it already got one of the best bass response on portable gear.
I bought two of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back