Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #781 of 1,024
Thanks for the heads-up Tiddlywinks.

Note to mk2 owners that this update is for the P2 only.

The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
Do not reset PLENUE 2 during firmware upgrade.
Backup any important files in PLENUE 2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.
This is a firmware exclusively for PLENUE 2. For PLENUE 2 Mark II apply firmware accordingly.
Please do not apply this firmware on PLENUE 2 Mark II.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=607

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #783 of 1,024
I think you need to contact Cowon or your supplier. :triportsad:

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #784 of 1,024
Plenue P2 mk II colours.

The Mark II is marketed as having a "Glamorous Jupiter Gold" colour. In the images on the Cowon site, this is shown as a bronzed pink colour, not unlike the iPhone Rose Gold.

Here's a an image from http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUE2/product_page_6.php

ii_area_41.png

I don't like that colour. In fact, I held off buying for several months & was seriously considering buying the regular P2 instead. Eventually I was swayed by the increased specs & placed my order. Once my player arrived, I was surprised to find that it was silver. In fact, I thought that I had been sent the wrong version & spent several hours checking that I had the right model.

Here is the actual colour:

DSC_1017s.jpg

You will see that it's silver, perhaps a warm silver. I'm a photographer, there is no lighting condition where the Mark 2 even approaches the pink of the website images, unless I suppose you use red gels or reflectors. Strong sunlight warms the image a touch more, but that's about it. I am very pleased with the silver colour, but if I had wanted a pink DAP, I would have been disappointed. I am annoyed though, at Cowon's highly misleading images.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #785 of 1,024
FYI new firmware for Plenue 2 on Cowon (Korea) site - V2.10 (2018-07-09 14:09:56)
Features translates - using Microsoft Translator as:

-Hearing protection settings (settings/system/hearing protection) *
-ALAC playback capability improvement (32bit file)
-32bit 1-channel WAV file support
-Certain 8bit APE file playback error correction
-Improved playlist management **
* Hearing protection when removing the earphones volume for reset operation is set, the function
' entry into the European Union is set to "only if it is outside the hearing protection.
** The name of the browser's CUE/SACD has been changed to Playlists tab.

I don't have a Plenue 2 but watching, hope to get one day.
Just a note:
This is a firmware exclusively for PLENUE 2. For PLENUE 2 Mark II apply firmware accordingly.
Please do not apply this firmware on PLENUE 2 Mark II.

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #786 of 1,024
Plenue P2 mk II colours.

The Mark II is marketed as having a "Glamorous Jupiter Gold" colour. In the images on the Cowon site, this is shown as a bronzed pink colour, not unlike the iPhone Rose Gold.

Here's a an image from http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUE2/product_page_6.php

ii_area_41.png

I don't like that colour. In fact, I held off buying for several months & was seriously considering buying the regular P2 instead. Eventually I was swayed by the increased specs & placed my order. Once my player arrived, I was surprised to find that it was silver. In fact, I thought that I had been sent the wrong version & spent several hours checking that I had the right model.

Here is the actual colour:

You will see that it's silver, perhaps a warm silver. I'm a photographer, there is no lighting condition where the Mark 2 even approaches the pink of the website images, unless I suppose you use red reflectors. Strong sunlight warms the image a touch more, but that's about it. I am very pleased with the silver colour, but if I had wanted a pink DAP, I would have been disappointed. I am annoyed though, at Cowon's highly misleading images.
Just going back to your earlier post re the mojo used with Plenue, I just had a play and using with optical out to optical into mojo, I don't understand something. Could easily be me being really thick but headphones in the mojo and I can still change the sound by using the plenue equaliser?? I thought I was just supplying the mojo with a file to use the mojo for sound conversion by the mojo dac??? If so how come the plenue changes the sound, totally confused...

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #787 of 1,024
Just going back to your earlier post re the mojo used with Plenue, I just had a play and using with optical out to optical into mojo, I don't understand something. Could easily be me being really thick but headphones in the mojo and I can still change the sound by using the plenue equaliser?? I thought I was just supplying the mojo with a file to use the mojo for sound conversion by the mojo dac??? If so how come the plenue changes the sound, totally confused...

Yup, I know. The Mojo seems to add to the Plenue sound. I don't know whether the Mojo just tales over the DAC bit & leaves the pre-amp work to the Plenue. The optical seems to fix the Plenue volume at 50, but it's definitely using some of the Plenue sound circuits. I'm not sure that Cowon would bother to help with advice, but I'll contact Chord who always seem to be very helpful.

How do your earphones sound with the Mojo?

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #788 of 1,024

If there is a sound change it's likely due to that when you output of a device, you may still be able to send the DPS effect to the out line. This is common on devices that do not have a true line out. So although it may bypass the DAC it may include the DSP. Simple solution, turn it all off an
Well too late.
Any way to undo this horrendous mistake?
No stock firmware download?
No real customer support from Cowon?

Thanks for any help in advance?

You can't install the previous version V1.20? I don't see why you can't put those back on and update again.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #789 of 1,024
An ultra quick response from Chord Electronics.

However all they could say was that they they believed Cowon did "at least part" of it's DSP processing before decoding takes place.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #790 of 1,024
Yup, I know. The Mojo seems to add to the Plenue sound. I don't know whether the Mojo just tales over the DAC bit & leaves the pre-amp work to the Plenue. The optical seems to fix the Plenue volume at 50, but it's definitely using some of the Plenue sound circuits. I'm not sure that Cowon would bother to help with advice, but I'll contact Chord who always seem to be very helpful.

How do your earphones sound with the Mojo?
They sound "confusing!" because the Cowon is changing the sound before it reaches the mojo.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #791 of 1,024
If there is a sound change it's likely due to that when you output of a device, you may still be able to send the DPS effect to the out line. This is common on devices that do not have a true line out. So although it may bypass the DAC it may include the DSP. Simple solution, turn it all off an

You can't install the previous version V1.20? I don't see why you can't put those back on and update again.
Re the sound change, thank you for the answer, I think I now understand..!!!
Signed, less confused jlw654.......

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #792 of 1,024
An ultra quick response from Chord Electronics.

However all they could say was that they expected that they believed that Cowon did "at least part" of it's DSP processing before decoding takes place.
Thanks for the help, hi-fi'er seems to have come to the same conclusion, see above post. So it's not an unadulterated source if any Cowon filters are set. Confusing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back