Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Jul 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #196 of 221
Howdy,

I've recently upgraded my portable audio set up from the Cowon S9/PFE 112 to the J3/UM3X.
I listen to FLAC files exclusively and spend 90% of my time listening to classic hard rock bands of the 1980s.
Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Journey etc...

I'm trying to come up with the best EQ setting for my J3/UM3X/FLAC setup.
I don't have much equalizing experience and would appreciate guidance.

I gave these settings a shot earlier today using Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) as a reference, and was impressed.
Treble was distinctive but non-fatiguing, and the low end was punchy but not booming.

Thanks skerryaj2006.

Is there a better setting for those of us who listen to classic hard rock on the J3 via UM3X phones?

Thanks,

Milan

105hz -4db Wide

500hz 0db wide

1.1 khz +2db wide

4.1 khz +4db wide

13 khz +2db wide

BBE 10

Mach3Bass 10

3D Surround off
MP Enhance on

stereo enhancement 6

Reverb off

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #197 of 221
Any 1964Q setting recommendations?

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #198 of 221
I'll like these settings for the UM3X w/ PFE medium silicone ear tips.

http://www.soundearphones.com/products/phonak-audeo-replacment-silicone-ear-tips

Odd combo, but they work well together.
The Phonak tips are much more comfortable than the Westone/Shure mushrooms and fit securely in my medium sized ear.

80:  2 wide
500: -1 wide
780: 2 wide
4.1; 2 wide
6.9: 2 wide

BBE 6
MB3 4
3D 2
MP on

SE 3
Rev Off

I listen to 80s hard rock such as Van Halen/Guns N' Roses/Iron Maiden/Tesla etc.
This EQ setting provides a good balance of treble and bottom end for guitar driven tunes...

If anyone can come up with a better EQ formula for my setup and listening preferences, please share!

Thanks,

Milan

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #199 of 221
you are better off keeping all the enhancements off, try keeping eq as neutral as possible.otherwise you're losing detail and separation.

re train your ears from listening to over processed/eq'd music to something more neutral. make slight adjustments and listen again. you will be shocked with what you were missing.

remember if you crank the bass you lose the ability to hear the highs accurately .. you then crank highs to make up and youve created a mess. middle of your eq in the positive? its probably making overall volume too loud, also making your bass and highs inadequate. what do you naturally do to fix that? bump the bass and highs of course lol. try putting the middle eq at -1 :)

i used to be in this fight until i learned i was ruining my music. I now have an excellent listening experience every night at work. less is more, I guarantee you'll be happy.

reshelled shure E530

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #200 of 221
you are better off keeping all the enhancements off, try keeping eq as neutral as possible.otherwise you're losing detail and separation.
re train your ears from listening to over processed/eq'd music to something more neutral. make slight adjustments and listen again. you will be shocked with what you were missing.
remember if you crank the bass you lose the ability to hear the highs accurately .. you then crank highs to make up and youve created a mess. middle of your eq in the positive? its probably making overall volume too loud, also making your bass and highs inadequate. what do you naturally do to fix that? bump the bass and highs of course lol. try putting the middle eq at -1 :)
i used to be in this fight until i learned i was ruining my music. I now have an excellent listening experience every night at work. less is more, I guarantee you'll be happy.
reshelled shure E530

It's absolutely true what you're saying, there's EQ settings I was using in this thread from months ago I would never imagine using today. You hit the nail on the head 'less is more' to much just makes the sound crap. People seem to like it because it goes louder with MP Enhance and BBE+ engaged. but you're actually ruining the whole presentation.

Much better of leaving your EQ flat and tinkering with the frequency's, use more volume to compensate if you want to listen loud. I've been a Cowon user for about six months now and your post couldn't speak anymore truth. For those trying to adjust to a flatter sound it takes a few sessions but you can adjust, just lower everything slightly over the course of a few sessions.

Here's what I use these days, and I could still use less BBE as it's still sounding artificial compared to my Colorfly C3.

80: 0 normal
220: 0 normal
1.1: 0 normal
4.1; 0 normal
9: 0 normal

BBE 5
MB3 1
3D off
MP off

SE off
Rev Off

(That's for GR07 MK2 btw)

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #201 of 221
Quote:
 I could still use less BBE as it's still sounding artificial compared to my Colorfly C3.

I knew you'd see things my way sooner or later! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #203 of 221
Quote:
reshelled shure E530

Thank you for this useful information!

Can anyone recommend a good flat setting for the U3MX?
I'm assuming the EQ Pre-set "Normal" is 100% flat?

Milan

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #205 of 221
What are good settings for Shure SE215's listening to Drum and Bass & Acid like Squarepusher?

Try this setting for your SE215.

80Hz: +12 wide
220Hz: +8 normal
1.1KHz: +5 wide
4.1KHz; +7 narrow
9KHz: +10 normal

BBE 10
MB3 10
3D +5
MP on

SE + 4
Rev Off

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #207 of 221
Westone UM2 rc

80hz normal
220hz normal
1.1hz normal
4.1hz normal
9. Hz normal

BBE 6
M3bass 4
3d surround 2
Mp enhance on

Se 1
Reverb off

Mp enhance is to your preference
3d just adds a little more soundstage for personal listening

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #208 of 221
Hello
I'm new here. I have just bought a Cowon C2 and sony XBA-3. I am just wondering what EQ settings to use on C2. The preset BBE VIVA and BBE MP are good but i find that it has less bass.The mach3bass preset has overpowering bass. Does anyone have suggetions for a customized EQ settings?

I listen to a lot of orchestral tracks(mainly film scores) and some pop music.
Any help is highly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #209 of 221
Brainwavz HM5/Fischer Audio FA-003/Digitech/Lindy Premium (Yoga CD-880)

Let me just preface this with saying that these headphones do not sound good with this player no matter what.  These headphones are as revealing as it gets when it comes to reproducing the source you are pairing them with which means that all the EQ settings alone can't compensate as much for the inherent flaws of the design of the components.  There is no way to get these cans sounding anything but bland but the goal here is to obviously get them sounding as little like that as possible (which isn't necessarily an indication of therefore needing to stray away far from a "flat" response). 

EQ-
80 Hz Normal: +2 dB (If your phones are new/not burned in, you can increase it to +3 dB if you'd like - depends really...)
300 Hz Wide: +1 dB 
780 Hz Wide: +1 dB 
3.0 kHz Wide: -1 dB
11.7 kHz Wide: +1 dB

BBE+-
BBE: 5
Mach3Bass: 4
3D Surround: Off
MP Enhance: On

SE-
Stereo Enhance: Off (I don't think it's meant for headphones. Like crossfeed on amps, it really just shrinks the soundstage width.)
Reverb: Off

*Of course anything can be altered to your preference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back