Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Oct 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #31 of 43
@ Leee

D2 can handle 32 gb SDHC, not sure about S:Flo2... pretty sure that s:flo2 uses micro sdhc.

Again, not too sure about s:flo2, but on D2 there's file limit, can't remember the exact limit... it's something like 4k from internal and another 4k from external... or something like that.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #32 of 43
Thanks for the reply.
Main concern is that the sflo2 apparently has superior sq, also importantly the fact that it can apparently beat most 100 dollar amps, which I don't ideally want to pay for and lug around.

How does the D2 tend to drive generally low impedance cups (ie ath-m50)?

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #33 of 43
@Leee - I heard the iPhone 4 is one of the best DAPs out there - source: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-602 (I know it's a review of the HiFiMan 602 but there are comparisons with the iPhone 4)

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 43

stevenswall said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

^They protrude from the housing more with the S9, are easier to feel, and are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and hand. It seems like they are an integral part of it. The buttons on the J3 appear to be nearly flush, and to me do not seem to "flow" compared to S9. I have not personally used a J3, But the design of the S9 seems more sleek (also due to the curved back and rounded sides)

I got more deep understanding about this part, Thanks for your analysis! It's comprehensive, It helps me out of the problem.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #35 of 43
Alright so I want to listen to FLAC without using the EQ only on Westone 3 earphones. Which player will give me better audio quality?
I don't need the driving power of the S:flo2's internal amplifier, and I won't use the EQ enhancements of the J3.

Also, how much of a difference will there be in audio quality? Is it like "oh this sounds a bit better" or "wow my music is more alive!"?
I'm assuming the S:flo2 would sound better but I want to know the degree of improvement it is over the J3/S9. Because if its a really close thing, I want the J3 for the UI, battery life, and added capacity. But if its a very noticable difference, I can live with all of the hassles.

Thanks 

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 43

Quote:
So rather than create a new thread I thought I'd bump this one.

I'm looking at purchasing a dedicated audio player that is decent enough to use as part of a home rig. I'm pretty much deciding between Cowon D2 and S:flo2, (16gb versions) with the D2 being somewhat more expensive. I've dug up pretty much all the info I can about each respective player, but I know I'll never have all the info without asking people about their experience with sound quality. 

So the things I'm looking for are:

1. Sound Quality -- I'm hearing that the S:flo2 is 'amazing'. Is the difference particularly substantial? I'll be looking at using the player primarily with the ath-m50, hd668b, and possibly the hd25-II. I've heard that the equalizer is great on the D2, but the S:flo2 is better at driving phones. If I don't want to purchase a portable headphone amp will the D2 amp be sufficient, or should I go with the S:flo2?

2. Line Out -- S:flo2 seems to win, though I've heard you can get a digital signal (line out) on the D2 with a small usb to 3.5 adaptor. 

3. Capacity -- both players are maxed at 16 + 16gb

4. Battery -- D2 wins by a long shot. Still 10 hours playback on the S:flo2 is substantial (though not optimal) 

5. Form Factor, extra features (etc)  -- Kinda like the D2, but this is the last category in my preferences. The equalizer on the D2 is probably its biggest point of redemption, but I tend to be pretty bad at finding good EQ settings. 

I already have a 16gb iphone 4 which follows me everything, so the whole purpose of dealing with the bulk of another player is to improve SQ (ie, while studying at home or at the uni library) and to avoid filling up my iphone to the brim with music, which would hamper its functionality. I'd also like to get something with a good amp to avoid buying and carrying around another device if possible. 

I'm leaning towards the S:flo2, but if anyone can give me other points of consideration or an analysis of the SQ on either player it would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Dont forget the D2 supports Rockbox the S:flo2 doesn't.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #37 of 43
Too late. I'm pretty confident I made the right choice with the S:flo2. I wouldn't want to carry around a DAP unless it was exceedingly better than my iphone 4. I'm hearing that the sflo manages to rival $200 amps, while being able to play FLAC, in a small form factor for only $170 shipped.

To me that's pretty amazing

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #38 of 43
Just going to say I went for the J3 for ease of use and reliability. I bricked my S9 by being a dumbass and cowon sent me a brand new replacement, so I have faith in the company.

Leee - I'd like to read your impressions when it arrives. I've been toying with the idea of getting one to do a comparison but $170 is a lot for a whim. But there is this nagging suspicion that I'm missing out on something

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #39 of 43
Hello Leee and  budgetboy, sorry to revive the thread, any conclusion on which one is better (or at least a slight difference in sq?). I'm chossing between these 2 now, unless there is a batter player out there than these 2.

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #40 of 43
I have the Cowon J3, which I think is a great compromise in terms of capacity, size, battery life, ui, and sound quality. I have not tried the S:flo2, but from what I've read, most listeners place it in a category above any mainstream players, like cowons. I am still very interested to compare my J3 with an S:flo2 though, as flac through the J3 sounds great to me.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #41 of 43

Quote:
Hello Leee and  budgetboy, sorry to revive the thread, any conclusion on which one is better (or at least a slight difference in sq?). I'm chossing between these 2 now, unless there is a batter player out there than these 2.

Not really sure what to say about the S:flo2.
Most reviews are pretty accurate; the sound is among the best of any portable player at a very affordable price.

I just find that after having the Fiio e9, nothing really compares to a dedicated desktop amp/DAC. 

Still the Sflo has a really nice crystal clear sound.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #42 of 43
I sold the d2 on hearing the  slo2 ,sort of wish i had kept it as a work player,the sflo is amazing i have one of the first , it never locks up ,its responsive and simple to use . battery life errr im not sure as i use it as a home player with the charger connected ,i use it via a neco soundlabs amp (with op amp upgrade) and ultrasone hfi780s ,since getting the neco im hardly ever on headfi as ive found the sound i wanted and invested my upgrade money in a new plasma and blu-ray instead!
heres a pic of the sflo with some competition ,well no not really as it destroys them

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #43 of 43

What DAC are you using with your Fiio E9 amp. I must agree with you that the Fiio E9 amp is amazingly good for its price and I think underrated. The Fiio E7 DAC is the bottleneck to this amp, not the E9. I use a DACport LX with it and its superb. Using this combo with my Dennon AHD 5000's and Sennheiser IE8 recabled/ IE7's. I've also found the Sflo2 connected to the E9 via the Line out sounds really good as well.
Quote:
Not really sure what to say about the S:flo2.
Most reviews are pretty accurate; the sound is among the best of any portable player at a very affordable price.

I just find that after having the Fiio e9, nothing really compares to a dedicated desktop amp/DAC. 

Still the Sflo has a really nice crystal clear sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back