Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Oct 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #21 of 43
For pure SQ definitely sflo2, everything else the cowon beats it upside down. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 43
The S:Flo's bass is much better than the D2's bass - if you use low Ω headphones. Using my DT880 600Ω, I find very little if any difference between my portables for bass - when at the same, non-distortive volume levels. 

What IS different and immediately noticeable is treble roll off. The first thing I commented on (or one of the first) was how 'smooth' the S:Flo sounds. Later, after really spending some time, I found it too smooth, as if someone turned down the high frequency detail knob. Well, eventually I tested it and lo and behold, the highs are pretty well rolled off - some have no problem with it, but I don't know why. 

The S:Flo still has a little less hiss than the D2 and drives low Ω earphones, that roll off sometimes severely anyway in the upper frequencies, very well. The problem of course, is that the T51/S:Flo2 is really really a piss-poor player in other ways in comparison to the D2. From navigation to overall use to size, to good EQ, the S:Flo2 lags behind.

For earphones, though, I wouldn't bother with the D2 and that is why I sold it.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
The S:Flo's bass is much better than the D2's bass - if you use low Ω headphones. Using my DT880 600Ω, I find very little if any difference between my portables for bass - when at the same, non-distortive volume levels. 

What IS different and immediately noticeable is treble roll off. The first thing I commented on (or one of the first) was how 'smooth' the S:Flo sounds. Later, after really spending some time, I found it too smooth, as if someone turned down the high frequency detail knob. Well, eventually I tested it and lo and behold, the highs are pretty well rolled off - some have no problem with it, but I don't know why. 

The S:Flo still has a little less hiss than the D2 and drives low Ω earphones, that roll off sometimes severely anyway in the upper frequencies, very well. The problem of course, is that the T51/S:Flo2 is really really a piss-poor player in other ways in comparison to the D2. From navigation to overall use to size, to good EQ, the S:Flo2 lags behind.

For earphones, though, I wouldn't bother with the D2 and that is why I sold it.

You hear treble roll off after firmware 2.3??  Btw, I still don't hear the screen clicking phenomena others do since 2.3 either.  Not sure if having it set to 'User' w/ flat settings has anything to do w/ that.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #26 of 43
Oct 16, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #28 of 43

Quote:
For earphones you wouldn't bother with the D2? How else would you use it? As part of a home rig?

Just use higher impedance headphones than IEM's and it should be fine.

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 43
So rather than create a new thread I thought I'd bump this one.

I'm looking at purchasing a dedicated audio player that is decent enough to use as part of a home rig. I'm pretty much deciding between Cowon D2 and S:flo2, (16gb versions) with the D2 being somewhat more expensive. I've dug up pretty much all the info I can about each respective player, but I know I'll never have all the info without asking people about their experience with sound quality. 

So the things I'm looking for are:

1. Sound Quality -- I'm hearing that the S:flo2 is 'amazing'. Is the difference particularly substantial? I'll be looking at using the player primarily with the ath-m50, hd668b, and possibly the hd25-II. I've heard that the equalizer is great on the D2, but the S:flo2 is better at driving phones. If I don't want to purchase a portable headphone amp will the D2 amp be sufficient, or should I go with the S:flo2?

2. Line Out -- S:flo2 seems to win, though I've heard you can get a digital signal (line out) on the D2 with a small usb to 3.5 adaptor. 

3. Capacity -- both players are maxed at 16 + 16gb

4. Battery -- D2 wins by a long shot. Still 10 hours playback on the S:flo2 is substantial (though not optimal) 

5. Form Factor, extra features (etc)  -- Kinda like the D2, but this is the last category in my preferences. The equalizer on the D2 is probably its biggest point of redemption, but I tend to be pretty bad at finding good EQ settings. 

I already have a 16gb iphone 4 which follows me everything, so the whole purpose of dealing with the bulk of another player is to improve SQ (ie, while studying at home or at the uni library) and to avoid filling up my iphone to the brim with music, which would hamper its functionality. I'd also like to get something with a good amp to avoid buying and carrying around another device if possible. 

I'm leaning towards the S:flo2, but if anyone can give me other points of consideration or an analysis of the SQ on either player it would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 43
So...
 I don't know about the flo but I have a d2+ and it sounds better with my grado rs1i(really qite good indeed) than my cowon j3 or iriver k1 hd or my wife's ipad for that matter.It was rather weak when I ran it through my old home system though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back