Cowon D2+ vs. S:Flo2 is it an upgrade?
Sep 15, 2010 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

xPro_MetheuSx

100+ Head-Fier
Hi my dear friends. I have cowon d2+ and I'm using it with BBE+. Although I'm grateful with its sound quality, I'm looking for a new mp3 player. I have read about S:flo2, a lot of people say good things for it. Is it an upgrade from cowon d2+?(sound quality upgrade) Can u compare them only for sound quality? Thank you very much my friends.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 43
Well this question has been asked pretty often in Sflo and T51 threads. I would recommend you to visit those threads. IMO it is an upgrade SQ-wise in every SQ aspect.

Also there are many issues with this player, like low battery time, bad ui (if tags are very important to you),...

You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/461156

One last thing to say: In Head-fi there is always the "either,..or" -thing. IMO if you have the money, why do not own both, especially in the case that you already have the D2+. While listening music very often, I find it very nice that it is possible, if I can choose between more payers that please me SQ wise. It is not boring then. Also you can compare...

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 43
Yeah look into the Telecast T51/Nationite s:flo2 but if you decide it's not for you, I suggest checking out the newer Cowon J3.
I bought a D2+ before the J3 came out, and sold it the moment I found out about the J3. It's a far superior player in my opinion.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 43
SQ wise I have never heard anything best a Cowon except for a good home stereo system,and then it was only when both where set with no EQ whatsoever. Once you use a Cowon EQ, nothing really compares. The Teclast may have a good line output and powerful amp, but if it lacked BBE and JetEffect settings I don't think I could ever be satisfied coming from an S9.

+1 J3, however I think the design of the S9 is better for the sleek incorporation of the buttons.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
+1 J3, however I think the design of the S9 is better for the sleek incorporation of the buttons.

Funny, the buttons have been a recurring thing comparing these two...usually the J3 gets the nod.  Why do you like the S9 buttons more?

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 43
^They protrude from the housing more with the S9, are easier to feel, and are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and hand. It seems like they are an integral part of it. The buttons on the J3 appear to be nearly flush, and to me do not seem to "flow" compared to S9. I have not personally used a J3, But the design of the S9 seems more sleek (also due to the curved back and rounded sides)

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 43
Unless you apply Cowon's good SFX and EQ, you aren't really getting anything different from even a regular iPod with Cowon. That said, if you use earphones, the Cowon players generally begin missing beats: losing resolution in bass or treble, narrowing stereo separation pretty low, and other things. They still sound good for most music, but they can get congested.

The S:Flo2, while touting a rubbish interface and pretty worthless touchscreen, is unaffected by headphones. Plug anything in, even the lowest Ω headphone and it will sound the same or very similar as the unloaded signal. The S:Flo has the most impressively strong headphone out I've used. I am not talking about volume, but about quality. That said, it has a little hiss (about the same as an S9), a constant small ticking in the background, and is a person to update with new music. 

If I had to choose between it and the S9 or J3 for SQ alone, I'd take it hands down. But for a music player where I could enjoy what I am listening to, I'd go Cowon.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 43
What if you add an impedance adapter to the mix for the Cowon? I've always wondered if they would sound better if you add that since it doesn't drive low impedance too well compared to some previous daps that I've had.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 43
Impedance adapters CAN help some players with SOME phones, but they can also screw up the balance. For instance, mulitple balanced armatures can have their crossover networks messed up. This sort of thing happens with external and wrong-fitting cables like TWAG that balance an earphone that isn't meant to be balanced. You can have it still sound good, but it changes the nature of the earphone. 

In the case of the Cowon players, I'd just buy knowing that you have one of the BEST EQ's on the planet, but know that you are losing out in overall drive quality. Impedance adapters are not the way to go. Amps work better, but they are bulky and sometimes not good enough.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 43

Quote:
If I had to choose between it and the S9 or J3 for SQ alone, I'd take it hands down. But for a music player where I could enjoy what I am listening to, I'd go Cowon.

blink.gif
... "it" ?

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 43
sq = s:flo2 (then again you just use mp3, which on some types of music is just fine, and on others, really, really becomes evident). i had s:flo2 but the flaws just killed it for me.

overall = cowon. i have an s9 and the s9 is BY FAR the more usable of the two. from UI to skins to physical buttons. i dont even really need to mess with the eq (much) BBE is nice.

my cousin has a d2. when he compared with s9, he also found that which one he liked would depend on type of music and quality of files. in the end, d2 was good enough.

i'd say just stick with your d2. by all means, demo the s9/j3 and s:flo2 if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back