Covers better than the originals...
Mar 13, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #78 of 120
Cant say they are "better" than the originals, but very cool versions

both U2 covers

P.O.D - Bullet the Blue Sky (The Fundemental elements of Southtown)

Pillar - Sunday Bloody Sunday (In the name of Love; Artists United for Africa)

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #79 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah ( Cohen )

Rufus Wainwright- Hallelujah

DEVO- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #80 of 120
Channel 40 on XM Radio (called "Deep Tracks") sometimes does a segment for several hours in the evenings that is exclusively covers. It's pretty cool, and I'd recommend checking it out for any XM'ers out there.

BTW, this is the same channel that Dylan does his radio show on. Tomorrow morning's segment will be dedicated to train inspired songs, which should be interesting. He's always got something to say. It's usually a little out there, but still somewhat within the reach of normality. Bob's a character, that's for sure.

BTW take 2. I heard a cover of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" earlier this evening which was excellent and very true to the original, but I wasn't able to catch which band it was. Any idea?

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #81 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possible sacrilege, but:
"King of the Road," Randy Travis

Well, that's not quite sacrilege but the original Roger Miller version is one of my favorite songs.

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #84 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's not quite sacrilege but the original Roger Miller version is one of my favorite songs.

Boxcar Willie also did a version. Good song by all.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #85 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW take 2. I heard a cover of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" earlier this evening which was excellent and very true to the original, but I wasn't able to catch which band it was. Any idea?

The band Heavy Fuel has a album out that is called A Tribute To Pink Floyd. It's all Floyd covers and done very tastefully and sounds great.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #86 of 120
Someone mentioned Pat Boone earlier in the thread, but didn't mention the awesome big band version of Enter Sandman, which is at least as good as his Stairway to Heaven. Pity he wasn't let loose on the music in the Darkest Desires thread - Pat Boone covering doom metal would be something to die for.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #88 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The band Heavy Fuel has a album out that is called A Tribute To Pink Floyd. It's all Floyd covers and done very tastefully and sounds great.
rs1smile.gif

Beautiful. That might be the one I'm looking for!

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #89 of 120
Jennifer Warnes "First We Take Manhattan" (Leonard Cohen)
Siouxsie and the Banshees "This Wheel's On Fire" (Bob Dylan)
This Mortal Coil "Song to the Siren" (Tim Buckley)
Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Prince)
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band "Next" (Jacques Brel)
Rickie Lee Jones "Coming Back to Me" (Jefferson Airplane)

and

Tori Amos "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana) (Sorry!)

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #90 of 120
Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest cover) is the only cover song I have heard that was better than the original that an artist I am familiar with has done.

The closest comer would be..

Opeth - Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple cover)

and I am still waiting on my "Tribute to Skepticism" CD, as I have a feeling there might be one on there.

White Zombie's version of Black Sabbath's Children of the Grave was good, but they really didn't do much with it, except for that awesome outro.

Silent Stream of Godless Elegy tried to cover White Zombie's Blood Milk and Sky, and failed miserably
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back