Covers better than the originals...
Mar 11, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #61 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You Really Got Me -Van Halen (The Kinks)...

Totally agree on this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidmoose171 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Metallica - Tuesdays Gone...

Gotta' totally disagree with this. Lynyrd Skynyrd's is one of my all-time favs. Metallica's got nothin' on them with this tune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jimi Hendrix - "All Along the Watchtower" is so much better than the Bob Dylan original that Dylan (and everyone else for that matter) now use the Hendrix version as the standard ...

Absolutely. When I learned that it was Dylan's song, I was shocked.

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #63 of 120
How about the version of The Carpenters' "Close to You" done by Iain Ballamy for the Mirrormask soundtrack?

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #64 of 120
Mad World - Gary Jules (Tears for Fears) I like Jules' sparse arrangement.
Money - Easy Star All Stars (Pink Floyd) they only do covers. A fun version.
The Guitar Man - Cake (Bread)
Tobacco Road - Eric Burdon (JD Loudermilk) not really a cover but one of the best versions around.
This is Heaven to Me - Madeleine Peyroux (Billy Holiday) Ms Holiday is incomparable but the newer recording sounds very good.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #65 of 120
The Warmen cover of Somebody's Watching Me is my favorite version, even over the original Rockwell effort. The recent pop version is rubbish.

Try listening to the Warmen version. A nicely mastered song with loads of impact and grunt. A really nice mix of vocals too, for what really is quite a psychotic song
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #66 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Zorn - Batman

In that vein... Danny Gatton - Simpsons

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #67 of 120
Reptilia - The Strokes (covered by Howie Beck)

I think that the production on Room On Fire hurt some of the songs. I didn't realize how awesome this song is when you strip it down. It's sort of the same mood as set on Gary Jules Mad World cover.

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #68 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mad World - Gary Jules (Tears for Fears) I like Jules' sparse arrangement.

First thing that came to mind for me too.

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #69 of 120
Somebody earlier mentioned Bowie's "Pinups". I really love Bowie's glammed-out version of "Let's Spend The Night Together", although the original is pretty sacred.

I will add two others by Rahsaan Roland Kirk: "My Cherie Amour" (Stevie Wonder); and "Ain't No Sunshine" (Bill Whithers)

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #70 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Money - Easy Star All Stars (Pink Floyd) they only do covers. A fun version.

I really like their Radiodread cover of OK Computer as well. I wouldn't call it better than the original but it really shines a different light on the album and shows how good the songs really are. I like when a cover version exposes layers of a song that I hadn't realized were there.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #72 of 120
Chris Cornell - Billie Jean (acoustic live version)

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #74 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the version of The Carpenters' "Close to You" done by Iain Ballamy for the Mirrormask soundtrack?

Here's a link to the clip from the movie if anyone wants to hear what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz8-7JsFD_g

Mirrormask is a fantastic movie by the way, amazing visual style and the soundtrack fits perfectly. Not very well known, but see it if you get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back