Covers better than the originals...
Mar 26, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #109 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Natalie Merchant - Space Oddity (originally by David Bowie)

B00002MZ2G.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ditto

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #110 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You Really Got Me -Van Halen (The Kinks)

No way... Kinks version is way better. Of course I always hated Van Halen
rolleyes.gif

Same with Limp Bizkit's version of Behind Blue Eyes... not bad, but not better than the Who original.

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #113 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure. When I hear it, I forget it's a cover it's so good. Really, it sounds like an extra track from "Bitter Tears".

Muse - House of the Rising Sun is an excellent cover, if not a bit brief.
Pixies - Head On. Better than the original by miles. One of my favorite Pixies songs.
Ryan Adams - Wonderwall. Why is it the brothers Gallagher don't get the song as much as Ryan Adams? I had no idea what the song was about until I heard this version. It's amazing.

Are you kidding me? Pixies 'Head On' is a good cover, but does not deserve inclusion in this thread. J & MC's version is one of my all-time favorite songs from that period of music...

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #114 of 120
I Fought the Law by the Clash (Bobby Fuller Four)
Hang on to Your Ego by Frank Black (Beach Boys)
Ceremony by New Order (Joy Division)- sort of a cover...

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #115 of 120
Surprised no one has mentioned this one...

Kiss by Art Of Noise with Tom Jones (Prince)

Also, Duran Duran did an album called "Thank You" full of covers. I don't know if they're better than the originals, but some are quite good. I particularly liked their "White Lines" and "Watching The Detectives".

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #118 of 120
What, noone's going to mention Bill Shatner's cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?

Oh right, fair enough then.

A few years back the UK Telegraph had a great list of 50 best cover songs of all time. Worth a look for inspiration.

Personally I like Nomeansno's accapella version of the DK's "Forward to Death". And Faith No More's "Easy". And Faith No More's "War Pigs". And any of Senor Coconut's stellar work.

Do remixes count? Hardfloor did a killer version of "Blue Monday".

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #119 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by one-eyed-xander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, noone's going to mention Bill Shatner's cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"?

Oh right, fair enough then.

No, I am not going to mention that. I've never heard the whole thing. There was always too many gales of laughter.

He has a whole CD of covers. A friend bought it as a joke. I can't say we really liked the music, but it made us all laugh. A lot.

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #120 of 120
I was blown away when I heard Camper Van Beethoven's version of Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive. Never thought someone could do a better job at Pink Floyd than Pink Floyd, but I prefer the CVB version.

Another CVB cover is one of Black Flag's Wasted, not better, but fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back