Cost efficient but not underpowered amp for HE-500
Dec 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
To the OP.  How are you liking the PSII with the HE-500s?

Unfortunately they have not arrived yet! They seem to be stuck in LA (final destination Finland). Not manufacturers problem but delivery company (USPS). Very irritating as I will on travels without the amp for the next month. Will do a write-up in this thread once I eventually get them.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 15
O2 and ODAC is probs the best COST EFFECTIVE combo, but I am curious about the new Schiits out... The HE-500 sounds fabulous with the EF-5, very mellow, midly warm, and awesome synergy. I like it the best together than any other Amp under $1000. I use a Calyx Coffee DAC. I don't exactly recommend high-end DACs as something like the ODAC and Calyx Coffee is more than enough while something like the Bifrost at something around $400~ doesn't really separate much from the price difference.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 15
waiting your impression on Sunrise II? 

anyway, NFB-15.32 is really a good deal for $260 for amp/dac. Powerful enough, almost 3 watt at ohm level of the HE-500. it drives it with ease. it improves soundstage a lot compared with ef-5, which i returned after 2 weeks of use. i like the optical input in NFB-15.32. it helps to use many headphone features out of my Xonar ST including dolby headphone without the use of the card's headphone jack. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
waiting your impression on Sunrise II? 

anyway, NFB-15.32 is a really a good deal for $260 for amp/dac. Powerful enough, almost 3 watt at ohm level of the HE-500. it drives it with ease. it improves soundstage a lot compared with ef-5, which i returned after 2 weeks of use. i like the optical input in NFB-15.32. it helps to use many features out of my Xonar ST including dolby headphone.  

Yes, I am taking about the Sunrise II. It's interesting to me because there is the option for DIY at only $200.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 15
Just build my Sunrise II ,  this thing with a nice 12v tube kicks.
I feel depending on tubes you  have in the Lyr (sub 200$ tubes)
the Sunrise is just as good and drives my T50rp Maddogs beautifully.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 15
Any final reviews? I just built and have been listening to my PSii for several days. I'm feeding it right off of a laptop soundcard, so I'd love to hear what you think of it with a DAC as well as which DAC you'd recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back