Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,238 of 5,310
Project86, I've read your review on the BA4 on innerfidelity numerous times. But there as some additional questions I'd like to ask. I'm not sure if anyone has asked them already, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions.

The most lacking feature of my current IEMs (tdk BA200) has to be the treble, or the lack thereof. It doesn't extend very well in the high end, and the audible treble does not have the greatest resolution.
Did your BA4 have good treble extension and resolution? And the other side of the spectrum, did the bass extend well enough?
I've noticed you found the BA4s sound a bit splashy and nasal, so are they noticably sibilant, or are they just revealing? And did they have a big upper mid bump like the etymotic er4s?

Last question: You wrote they had very good imaging capabilities, did you also found them to have good seperation and detail/resolution/clarity?

A bunch of question I know, but I think it will clarify a lot on these CIEMs, and future buyers will definitely benefit from your impressions.

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,239 of 5,310
Quote:
Does anyone know if Cosmic Ears will reshell things other than the TF10? I would be really interested in a dynamic driver reshell.

Ok so I got a response from Phil (fast response time as usual with CE), and below is his answer. In short, they won't do reshells for dynamics (I was thinking about reshelling the JVC Ha-FXZ200's myself):

Hi

One type of driver we don't re-shell is any dynamic driver IEM. There are a number of problems with them the most notable being that dynamics can be quite big 13-14mm sometimes and this makes fitting it difficult and also most dynamics need a vent to breath and all our shells will be closed so the performance of the dynamic driver will be compromised.

I will only re-shell IEMs that are relatively robust and easy, this is why the TF10 is one of them. Anything that uses a TWFK driver I will not touch for various reasons.

Hope that helps
Phil

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,240 of 5,310
Quote:
Project86, I've read your review on the BA4 on innerfidelity numerous times. But there as some additional questions I'd like to ask. I'm not sure if anyone has asked them already, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating questions.

The most lacking feature of my current IEMs (tdk BA200) has to be the treble, or the lack thereof. It doesn't extend very well in the high end, and the audible treble does not have the greatest resolution.
Did your BA4 have good treble extension and resolution? And the other side of the spectrum, did the bass extend well enough?
I've noticed you found the BA4s sound a bit splashy and nasal, so are they noticably sibilant, or are they just revealing? And did they have a big upper mid bump like the etymotic er4s?

Last question: You wrote they had very good imaging capabilities, did you also found them to have good seperation and detail/resolution/clarity?

A bunch of question I know, but I think it will clarify a lot on these CIEMs, and future buyers will definitely benefit from your impressions.

Hi

Not project, but a couple of pointers.

a)On the Ba4 front Project reviewed the "original".  Since then CE have announced they will be doing a revised ba4, details of which are on the cosmic ears facebook site.  Projects also mentioned he should be getting the revised version sometime this week.

b)Impressions.  Good luck with yours today however I will say this.  Depending on how they turn out size wize I think it would be a good idea to email Phil a photo of them when they are done.  That way he' can see if they'll be big enough for something like a 4.  Don't want to rain on your parade but sometimes some peoples ears are too small to accommodate drivers.  For example I had to have an ma1 as the new ma2 was too big for my shells.  It's worth having a chat with Phil just to see what he recommends.

Cheers

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,241 of 5,310
Quote:
Hi

Not project, but a couple of pointers.

a)On the Ba4 front Project reviewed the "original".  Since then CE have announced they will be doing a revised ba4, details of which are on the cosmic ears facebook site.  Projects also mentioned he should be getting the revised version sometime this week.

b)Impressions.  Good luck with yours today however I will say this.  Depending on how they turn out size wize I think it would be a good idea to email Phil a photo of them when they are done.  That way he' can see if they'll be big enough for something like a 4.  Don't want to rain on your parade but sometimes some peoples ears are too small to accommodate drivers.  For example I had to have an ma1 as the new ma2 was too big for my shells.  It's worth having a chat with Phil just to see what he recommends.

Cheers

A: I was well aware of that, but I thought the new BA4 would change only in bass quantity? Correct me if I'm wrong please!

B: Thanks! Have to leave the house in a couple of minutes. I will definitely email phil my impressions. Although I already sent him photographs of some home made molds. Also, if you can't fit two drivers, that means you have really really small ears?
I have really, really small ears too :frowning2:

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #2,242 of 5,310
biggrin.gif

Quote:
A: I was well aware of that, but I thought the new BA4 would change only in bass quantity? Correct me if I'm wrong please!

B: Thanks! Have to leave the house in a couple of minutes. I will definitely email phil my impressions. Although I already sent him photographs of some home made molds. Also, if you can't fit two drivers, that means you have really really small ears?

Thanks!

Hey dude, did you go to your audiologist? Even I came from my exam you should already have done it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,243 of 5,310
Quote:

Not a problem. The InnerFidelity review was inherently limited due to the format - there's just no way we could write super-lengthy reviews of each IEM. The article would be a hundred pages long! So it required a bit of summarizing which sometimes was not clear enough. Apologies.

The BA4 has very well extended treble. Perhaps not on the same level as a Miracle or JH13FP, but quite good nonetheless. It is airy, and highly resolving of microdetails. I have absolutely no issues with it in that respect. And it's well controlled too - not overly harsh, sibilant, grating, etc. What's there is clean and mostly grain free. It's very well done. But of course system matching is required to make the most of them. My iPad sounds pretty sharp at times with the BA4, while my higher end home gear allows them to show their true nature. Same with recording quality - if it's not well done, the BA4 will let you know, and it might not be pretty.

The bass extension was the part I had issue with. It just didn't have much volume to it. Bass drums didn't have the proper weight or impact. Yes, you can hear what's happening in the low frequency region, but it never really convinced me that it sounded like a real drum. If that makes sense. But I can see how a singer or maybe guitarist would love this presentation - they could clearly hear what they are doing without as much distraction.

This should hopefully be fixed (for us "normal" users anyway) with the redone version. Mine should hopefully arrive in the next week or so. If it keeps the resolution and clarity of the original, but adds some oomph down low, it will be an amazing IEM. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,244 of 5,310
Quote:

Thanks!

Not so much small as not standard size if that makes sense!  Apparantly I hold some sort of record for refits right now!  Hopefully for the rest of you that will never be broken (meaning you all don't have issues).

Off my ma's go to have the cable fixed. ces't la vie.  Was quite funny watching the post office staff member trying to type the swedish address in :)

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,245 of 5,310
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Hey dude, did you go to your audiologist? Even I came from my exam you should already have done it 
biggrin.gif

IT IS DONE, my eardrum virginity has been taken away! Ok, so I've been freaking out for nothing. Things Can go past my second bend. My ear canal actually goes up, instead of to the back.

I'll take some photo's of my impressions and I'll post them here.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,247 of 5,310
Quote:
IT IS DONE, my eardrum virginity has been taken away! Ok, so I've been freaking out for nothing. Things Can go past my second bend. My ear canal actually goes up, instead of to the back.

I'll take some photo's of my impressions and I'll post them here.

Sounds like we have similar issues then :)

Cheers

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,249 of 5,310
LOL 
biggrin.gif
 Marley you are one great guy. Please post your photos here too I am darn curious and I am happy for you since a real audiologist can pass the second bend of your ear canal. Seeing a professional is always the best way 
wink.gif

Project86, I have a little question for you but your answer maybe long. So you stated due to limited word count you couldn't write extended review as you normally would do. I must say I am actually incredibly curious about Westone ES5 and here in Belgium and I can get them quite easy they have a distributor and all, one of the easiest ciem to get in Belgium I don't even have to send my impressions somewhere.

Will you write an "extended" review of Westone ES5? From the ciems you labeled as stuff we like only ES5 could get my heart. Even though I have some other ciems in my mind for a while, it could be good to read your long review and it can help me decide. As a master student I had been saving money so long and I finally have some amount for high end ciems and when I buy my first high end ciem, the second will come very late (probably after I finish the master and get a job 
happy_face1.gif
). So my first purchase will be my only friend for a long time.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,250 of 5,310
Quote:
LOL 
biggrin.gif
 Marley you are one great guy. Please post your photos here too I am darn curious and I am happy for you since a real audiologist can pass the second bend of your ear canal. Seeing a professional is always the best way 
wink.gif

Project86, I have a little question for you but your answer maybe long. So you stated due to limited word count you couldn't write extended review as you normally would do. I must say I am actually incredibly curious about Westone ES5 and here in Belgium and I can get them quite easy they have a distributor and all, one of the easiest ciem to get in Belgium I don't even have to send my impressions somewhere.

Will you write an "extended" review of Westone ES5? From the ciems you labeled as stuff we like only ES5 could get my heart. Even though I have some other ciems in my mind for a while, it could be good to read your long review and it can help me decide. As a master student I had been saving money so long and I finally have some amount for high end ciems and when I buy my first high end ciem, the second will come very late (probably after I finish the master and get a job 
happy_face1.gif
). So my first purchase will be my only friend for a long time.

Thanks man, you're a great guy too! :D

So here are my impressions, they look rather large. I can not imagine that it would not fit the BA4s. 
It felt really strange, and a little painful to get those cottons in my eardrum :0 But the cold silicone squirted into my brain felt kinda nice actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back