Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jun 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,251 of 5,310
Quote:

Thanks man, you're a great guy too! :D

So here are my impressions, they look rather large. I can not imagine that it would not fit the BA4s. 
It felt really strange, and a little painful to get those cottons in my eardrum :0 But the cold silicone squirted into my brain felt kinda nice actually.

I think they are quite nice. It seems there is enough space for 4 Balanced Armatures but of course let the professionals decide this.

Do you think you will get addicted to it? LOL cold silicone squirted into the brain and feels nice 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,252 of 5,310
Quote:

Project86, I have a little question for you but your answer maybe long. So you stated due to limited word count you couldn't write extended review as you normally would do. I must say I am actually incredibly curious about Westone ES5 and here in Belgium and I can get them quite easy they have a distributor and all, one of the easiest ciem to get in Belgium I don't even have to send my impressions somewhere.

Will you write an "extended" review of Westone ES5? From the ciems you labeled as stuff we like only ES5 could get my heart. Even though I have some other ciems in my mind for a while, it could be good to read your long review and it can help me decide. As a master student I had been saving money so long and I finally have some amount for high end ciems and when I buy my first high end ciem, the second will come very late (probably after I finish the master and get a job 
happy_face1.gif
). So my first purchase will be my only friend for a long time.

Probably not, only because many reviews of the ES5 already exist, and I tend to agree with most of them. It's not one of those contentious headphones/IEMs where everybody seems to have a different opinion about it. I think most people hear it the same way I do - somewhat large bass (but not too large!) that is very capable in terms of texture and articulation, magical mids that really stand out for their clarity, and a slightly smooth treble presentation that has good extension but isn't the most aggressive or sparkly thing you'll ever hear. Most reviews I've read of the ES5 basically describe those same characteristics. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2,253 of 5,310
Quote:

Probably not, only because many reviews of the ES5 already exist, and I tend to agree with most of them. It's not one of those contentious headphones/IEMs where everybody seems to have a different opinion about it. I think most people hear it the same way I do - somewhat large bass (but not too large!) that is very capable in terms of texture and articulation, magical mids that really stand out for their clarity, and a slightly smooth treble presentation that has good extension but isn't the most aggressive or sparkly thing you'll ever hear. Most reviews I've read of the ES5 basically describe those same characteristics. 

Well, I can't choose then 
biggrin.gif
 Don't get me wrong not because of you, I am one of your followers and read anything you wrote but there are many nice ciems and not enough money to buy them and all even I reduced to list only 3, I still can't go further than that. Before this summer ends I am going to put on of them in my ears but I still don't know which one. Anyway thank you very much for all the help answers, I will of course keep on reading your reviews 
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,254 of 5,310
Quote:

Thanks man, you're a great guy too! :D

So here are my impressions, they look rather large. I can not imagine that it would not fit the BA4s. 
It felt really strange, and a little painful to get those cottons in my eardrum :0 But the cold silicone squirted into my brain felt kinda nice actually.

They look great.  That's quite a vertical rise you have going on the left there (mine looks normal considering).  My problem ear was the right, and whilst it went up (It actually looked like it was giving the finger to someone!) it's not as bad as yours!  Just imagine trying to poke an iem in that, no wonder you were having fit issues.

Anyway best of luck with them, hope they do well :)

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,255 of 5,310
Quote:
They look great.  That's quite a vertical rise you have going on the left there (mine looks normal considering).  My problem ear was the right, and whilst it went up (It actually looked like it was giving the finger to someone!) it's not as bad as yours!  Just imagine trying to poke an iem in that, no wonder you were having fit issues.

Anyway best of luck with them, hope they do well :)

I'm quite glad with how they turned out. But I do think it will take some practice for me to insert the CIEMs. 
I just got a message from phil, saying he's not 100% if the ba4 will fit. So I'm going to send him my impressions, before pay anything.

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,256 of 5,310
Quote:
Well, I can't choose then 
biggrin.gif
 Don't get me wrong not because of you, I am one of your followers and read anything you wrote but there are many nice ciems and not enough money to buy them and all even I reduced to list only 3, I still can't go further than that. Before this summer ends I am going to put on of them in my ears but I still don't know which one. Anyway thank you very much for all the help answers, I will of course keep on reading your reviews 
wink.gif

Nobody should ever buy a CIEM (or anything else really) just because I like it. I try to lay out the best description I can and let people decide if it sounds right for them. My goal is never to make you buy the product, and I'm just as happy to hear someone say "that doesn't sound like my style". So while certain CIEMs like ES5 fit well with my specific signature that I prefer, I realize that they might be poor matches for others. And there's nothing wrong with that!

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,259 of 5,310
Have anybody here tried the BA5?
I have emailed Phil asking abaut the BA5's but no answere so far....

Is a V shaped sound good to listen to rock?

I had the HY3 but they got lost or stolen..... So now I am in the market for a new monitor.
I was happy with the HY3, but I want a "better" monitor this time.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,260 of 5,310
Quote:

I had the HY3 but they got lost or stolen..... So now I am in the market for a new monitor.

They are not released yet, so nobody here has heard them.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,261 of 5,310

BA5 is planned but hasn't actually been produced yet, so no one has heard them (except maybe Phil himself).  
Judging from the shape of most "Rock" EQ presets, I would say yes, V-shaped is good for rock. But neutral would be more versatile if you listen to other genres as well.  
If you want a higher-end sounding monitor, maybe you could consider the BA4 (new version). Being purely BA-based though it probably won't have the sub-bass impact of an HY3. There will also be an HY5 coming out either the end of this year or early next year, which should be the best of both worlds. I will stick with HY3 though, for budget reasons.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,262 of 5,310
Probably just slammed with them, not responded yet to mine. :)  (unless his keyboards broken and needs a new one :) )

Cheers

Hmm the first of the three was sent on June 2 and that was stating my decision to order an HY3. The follow ups were June 6 and 23. I think some people who contacted him after June 2 have heard back? I dunno.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,263 of 5,310
Quote:

Hmm the first of the three was sent on June 2 and that was stating my decision to order an HY3. The follow ups were June 6 and 23. I think some people who contacted him after June 2 have heard back? I dunno.

It may be that he's out of the office again and email contact get's patchy.  I've not had any response in the last couple of days, where as before it was pretty much same day response.

Cheers

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,265 of 5,310
Quote:
Welps, he just responded 8 minutes ago. Quote: "we are slowly catching up but the BA4 is not helping matters :)" For those of you who have ordered and are waiting in line, he will probably get to yours by mid-July.

Yeah just got a response as well.  My ma's have gone back for the cable fix and a possible touch up on the right side of the base area.  I got a cheap laugh watching the poor post office staff member type the address in two finger styleeee.

Oh and apparantley they are having a well earned break around the start of july.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back