Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #946 of 5,310
I can vouch for the fact that other CIEM companies have had serious issues with their cable suppliers as well. I don't recall anyone actually running out, but I know of two who came very close. We're talking major companies here. So for Cosmic Ears to stumble in this way is not unexpected, nor unheard of. As a new company they probably didn't have the massive reserve as those other did, so they were easily wiped out. As always I appreciate their honesty about it. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #947 of 5,310
I can vouch for the fact that other CIEM companies have had serious issues with their cable suppliers as well. I don't recall anyone actually running out, but I know of two who came very close. We're talking major companies here. So for Cosmic Ears to stumble in this way is not unexpected, nor unheard of. As a new company they probably didn't have the massive reserve as those other did, so they were easily wiped out. As always I appreciate their honesty about it. 
I really like their honesty and will feel good about giving my business to them because I know they'll treat me right. Can't wait for the BA4! Btw, how much have you guys spent on shipping from the US?

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #949 of 5,310
I wasn't complaining, I like that they have stopped taking orders instead of sitting on peoples' cash :)

If one were to order flush Premium cable IEMs, do you think they would ship them without a cable, and then you could just buy your own cable?

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #950 of 5,310
Quote:
I wasn't complaining, I like that they have stopped taking orders instead of sitting on peoples' cash :)

If one were to order flush Premium cable IEMs, do you think they would ship them without a cable, and then you could just buy your own cable?

I don't suppose it could hurt to ask?
I assume that Cosmic would want to be bloody certain we weren't trying to force incorrectly fitting cables into our swanky new IEMs and then expecting warranty repairs though.
I'm not sure how you'd ensure that some of us wouldn't make that mistake without supplying the correct cables in the first place.
My own ignorance of cables/fittings is such that I'm not certain I'd choose the right type.
And if I chose something that was nearly right I might not recognise the error 'till I'd done damage to the sockets.
Could just be me though
confused_face.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #951 of 5,310
Coincidentally I asked Phil that question about cables this afternoon. The reply (which I'll copy later if interested), basically said that whilst a westone cable SHOULD fit there were no guarantees as the socket size might vary to affect how tight/loose the fit of the cable would be.

Cheers

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #952 of 5,310
Quote:
Coincidentally I asked Phil that question about cables this afternoon. The reply (which I'll copy later if interested), basically said that whilst a westone cable SHOULD fit there were no guarantees as the socket size might vary to affect how tight/loose the fit of the cable would be.
Cheers

I have plugged my "Dark Lord" cable from my UE TF10's into my HY3 without any issues, fits perfectly.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #954 of 5,310
At work now so can't access emails.  When I get home (can't come quick enough!) I'll paste the reply :)

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #955 of 5,310
Here's the email :-

"
It should fit, emphasis on the should. Our cables are Westone type but NOT actual Westone, pin sizes vary slightly amongst manufacturers, only by +/- 0.03 mm but this can effect the fit so the cable could be tight or loose, therefore although the cable would fit we could not guarantee the level of fit."

In other news my impressions  have reached sweden 5 days after being promised it would take 2.  In future I'm using isf for a guaranteed 2 day trackable option!

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #956 of 5,310
It's not such a big deal if it's too big, you can always use sand paper and sand the pins a bit. That's what I did with my Westone cable, I don't know if it's bad but it works. Just make sure you sand evenly so it retains the round shape.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #957 of 5,310
Quote:
It's not such a big deal if it's too big, you can always use sand paper and sand the pins a bit. That's what I did with my Westone cable, I don't know if it's bad but it works. Just make sure you sand evenly so it retains the round shape.

Depending on the type of cable that can be a horrible idea.
In standard electrics the cable surfaces are specially coated to prevent rust and enable good contact. I would think it's similar for headphone cables

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #959 of 5,310
Just an update on the bass levels from the HY3 now that I have had more time with them. As you know, I have the model with the "reduced bass" driver. By "reduced bass" I think what Phil actually means is that it doesn't dominate the mix, because it is certainly deep enough and present enough when called for.

I am just playing the 'Kinetik' album by Phutureprimitive, which is extremely sub-bass heavy and the HY3 has no trouble reaching low and delivering that. Having not heard the HY3XB, I have no idea how much heavier in the bass department that is, but for most people (except really extreme bassheads) I suspect the HY3 is going to provide all the bass they need when it is called for, and not swamp anything else when it is not called for. There is plenty enough bass here for most rational people (playing on a Cowon C2 with the BBE Headphones EQ setting on) 
cool.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #960 of 5,310
Quote:
Just an update on the bass levels from the HY3 now that I have had more time with them. As you know, I have the model with the "reduced bass" driver. By "reduced bass" I think what Phil actually means is that it doesn't dominate the mix, because it is certainly deep enough and present enough when called for.

I am just playing the 'Kinetik' album by Phutureprimitive, which is extremely sub-bass heavy and the HY3 has no trouble reaching low and delivering that. Having not heard the HY3XB, I have no idea how much heavier in the bass department that is, but for most people (except really extreme bassheads) I suspect the HY3 is going to provide all the bass they need when it is called for, and not swamp anything else when it is not called for. There is plenty enough bass here for most rational people (playing on a Cowon C2 with the BBE Headphones EQ setting on) 
cool.gif

And I'm just patiently waiting for CE to start selling them again... 
popcorn.gif

BTW, can you compare the bass quantity and quality to your GR07 MK2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back