Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #902 of 5,310
Quote:

There's a link to a video, under the text and the price is in the video. The whole announcement is somewhat less than obviously advertised tbh :)

Ah now I see it :)  What is interesting is premium cable with or without memory cable.  As I regard memory cable as the spawn of evil (seriously, what's the point?) hopefully this will be available on some of the other options.

Cheers

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #903 of 5,310
I thi I the overall package is very nice. I have also seem the carbon fibre that he hopes to use and it looks great. However I won't post in case that changes. I will obviously compare with my 4.Ai and UE900 so you can see if it for you.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #904 of 5,310
Quote:
Ah now I see it :)  What is interesting is premium cable with or without memory cable.  As I regard memory cable as the spawn of evil (seriously, what's the point?) hopefully this will be available on some of the other options.

Cheers

To be precise, it is "with or without memory WIRE" :)

My HY3 premium cable has a clear sleeve that runs for about 5cm from the plug down the cable, and within that sleeve is clearly visible a silver wire like a straightened out paper clip, that acts as the memory wire. You may just be able to see it in the pictures of the HY3 I posted. 

Personally, I find this wire quite effective for over the ear monitors like this with a top exiting cable, and if it wasn't there, I would be using those silicon, cable guides. The premium cable is very light and flexible, but I would still want to route it by some method that helped keep it in place. I guess it depends how much moving about you do too as to whether cable guides or memory wire are effective.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #905 of 5,310
Quote:
Now this is interesting! Hope the 4BA will pair reasonably with the Colorfly C3.

The C3 is a fickle beast. Pairs beautifully with my Vsonic GR07 Mk.II and does not like my CE HY3 one bit. It's the strangest thing and I have no reasonable explanation for it, the HY3 is not hard to drive.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #906 of 5,310
Quote:

The C3 is a fickle beast. Pairs beautifully with my Vsonic GR07 Mk.II and does not like my CE HY3 one bit. It's the strangest thing and I have no reasonable explanation for it, the HY3 is not hard to drive.

I'm guessing it's an impedance mismatch. The C3 (if I recall correctly) has a somewhat high output impedance. The GR07 is rated at 50 ohms and like most dynamic drivers it likely has a fairly smooth impedance curve. 

Phil hasn't released the specs of his products but I suspect the HY3 has a far more difficult impedance curve that drops down quite low at times. The UM Merlin certainly does. And multi-BA designs in general tend to have variations in impedance, meaning they are best paired with a player or amp that has a low output impedance - ideally less than 1 ohm. 

Since the C3 has a higher output z it probably causes dips and peaks in the frequency response while playing the HY3. The GR07 is easy and thus doesn't cause interactions. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #909 of 5,310
Quote:

I'm guessing it's an impedance mismatch. . [snip]

Thanks very much for that explanation, that makes perfect sense. I had only been thinking of the impedance of the IEM and how hard or otherwise it would be to drive. All my IEM's with the exception of the TF10 are dynamics, and most have a low impedance and are driven well by anything they are connected to. I will try the HY3 through my Fiio E7 connected to the C3 and see what effect that has.

I live and learn :) Thanks Project86.

Nov 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #910 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing it's an impedance mismatch. . [snip]

Thanks very much for that explanation, that makes perfect sense. I had only been thinking of the impedance of the IEM and how hard or otherwise it would be to drive. All my IEM's with the exception of the TF10 are dynamics, and most have a low impedance and are driven well by anything they are connected to. I will try the HY3 through my Fiio E7 connected to the C3 and see what effect that has.

I live and learn :) Thanks Project86.

It surprises me that it would have such a high output impedance. I've been using all of my IEMs with one of these:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553094/continued-sidetrack-discussion-from-tiniest-portable-amp-i-can-build-nikongod-microtransformer-based-impedance-step-down-box
It doesn't necessarily drop the output impedance (it is by default at 8z), but you can really give it some juice, it drops the voltage by 20x, and ups the current by 20x. Even low-impedance IEMs tend to be happy. If you can get 8 transformers from Radio Shack (it took a little while for me), the result is pretty impressive, might work wonders with a BA.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #912 of 5,310
Here are some pictures of mine.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #914 of 5,310
I've e-mailed Phil about my disaster and he's responded really quickly.
Sadly he doesn't think the components can be built into a new Flex hybrid (apparently BA's are just too delicate to survive this kind of treatment).
But he's going to help me out anyway!

Cosmic have no reason to do anything other than add me to the end of the purchase queue and re-charge me full price for everything, yet they've offered to do a rush job at no extra cost to me, re-use my impressions to save some cost there, and even reduce the cost of the replacements a little.
This will mean I can even return a little of the money given to me for replacements ( which is just as well, given the look of horror my friend adopted when I told him what I'd spent on mere headphones, I'm still not sure he entirely believes me ).

This kind of above and beyond customer service is the sort of treatment which gives purchasers ( and prospective purchasers ) a warm glow, and is surely a huge incentive to consider a company's products over others.
It's rare to encounter this sort of consideration and I value it highly.

Congrat's are also due to Cosmic on the announcement of the new BA4's!
These have me sitting on the edge of my seat again.
Given that they're only a few quid more than I paid for my Flex hybrid, I predict a lot of people will have a great deal of trouble choosing between these two models, I know I will if they're an option for me, TWO flagships?, bugger.

I've asked Phil which dynamic driver model he'd fitted to my Flex's, but I suspect it was the straight 'non extra bass' version, we'll see.
Whichever it was I was growing to like the sound a lot, but they'd not broken in yet.
I'm afraid I don't know what the BA driver is, I didn't see any identifying marks, and I can't bear to look again :frowning2:

Thanks again to Cosmic, I had considered going with several other companies before I'd heard of them.
I thought that saving all that money would possibly result in a slightly inferior product or service, but that's simply not the case, quite the opposite it would seem :)

I hope we see some pic's and reviews of the BA4's soon!!!

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #915 of 5,310
Quote:
Already sold my shure too fund customs
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you oscar by any chance??

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back