Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #271 of 5,310
Quote:
Any views on the relative merits of the three shell sizes?

I understand that the micro offers less isolation (not a problem for me), but was wondering which is likely to be best for comfort out of the three?

Not yet, but my micro-shelled Flex with the twin driver is shipping tomorrow. So I'll have that soon. I assume the dynamic driver model would be the most dependent on shell size, where the BA models would not change much between them. 

As far as comfort - I find the medium shell nice and quick for insertion/removal. It might be more comfy for some ears, but a good fitting full shell would probably be just as comfy (and more secure for workouts or things like that).

I have a different custom in a micro-shell, and it is supremely comfortable. That one is silicone but I suspect acrylic will be similarly nice. Since it only goes into the canal, you can get a deep insertion. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #273 of 5,310
Including shipping and impressions, the flex twin will be much more expensive than the R-50. Even if it is worth the extra, you might want to wait until more reviews are out so taht you know that it will have the sound you are looking for. Better safe than stuck with a $200 iem that you don't use.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #276 of 5,310
Quote:
On the flex order form, can someone explain me what a dual hybrid and triple hybrid are? 

Thanks

Dual hybrid = One Balanced Armature driver (mids and highs) + One Dynamic driver (lows)

Triple hybrid = One Twin Balanced Armature driver (separate units for highs and mids with integrated crossover) + One Dynamic driver (lows)

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #278 of 5,310
Quote:
Not yet, but my micro-shelled Flex with the twin driver is shipping tomorrow. So I'll have that soon. I assume the dynamic driver model would be the most dependent on shell size, where the BA models would not change much between them. 

As far as comfort - I find the medium shell nice and quick for insertion/removal. It might be more comfy for some ears, but a good fitting full shell would probably be just as comfy (and more secure for workouts or things like that).

I have a different custom in a micro-shell, and it is supremely comfortable. That one is silicone but I suspect acrylic will be similarly nice. Since it only goes into the canal, you can get a deep insertion. 

That's another big question for me, as I'm aiming for the hybrid models. I never had CIEM's before, so I don't know the advantages/disadavantages of the different shell sizes (apart from the obvious size diference)...

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #279 of 5,310
Quote:
I ordered the Flex Twin BA earlier today. I am eagerly awaiting my impression kit so I can get this as soon as possible!  I need something good after interactions with Kozee.

I can basically guarantee that the Cosmic Ears experience will be superior to the Kozee experience. 

Quote:
Thanks! 

Sorry for the dumb question, but how does that set up generally affect the sound?

More drivers tend to equate to better sound overall. Each driver gets to focus on a more specific frequency range, and combined they cover a wider spectrum.

Think of it like a speaker - a big floorstanding model with an 8" driver, a 4" midrange, and a 1" tweeter, has more potential to play loudly and cleanly than a smaller bookshelf speaker that only has a 5" driver and 1" tweeter. This assumes of course that both are quality designs using quality parts... each can sound good, but the larger speaker can theoretically play louder and deeper. 

Quote:

That's another big question for me, as I'm aiming for the hybrid models. I never had CIEM's before, so I don't know the advantages/disadavantages of the different shell sizes (apart from the obvious size diference)...

The medium shell is easier to insert/remove than a full size shell. It might be more comfy for people who are not used to customs. And it is probably easier to get a good fit, as the top portion of the full size custom is often a trouble spot. In exchange, it offers slightly less isolation (but not by much) and is not as secure if you were being extremely active. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #280 of 5,310
Not too sure on more driver generally equals better. More potential that you early is more or less accurate but if they are used wrong and not using a good crossover then who cares to be honest. So yes there u more potential but you can't guarntee better but will be different. I'd take a single BA ortofon EQ5 over a triple BA Shure se535 or a single dynamic Sony Ex1000 over any dual dynamic I have heard for example.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #281 of 5,310
Quote:
The medium shell is easier to insert/remove than a full size shell. It might be more comfy for people who are not used to customs. And it is probably easier to get a good fit, as the top portion of the full size custom is often a trouble spot. In exchange, it offers slightly less isolation (but not by much) and is not as secure if you were being extremely active. 

Thanks!  I got my impressions from Tripp Hearing in Oxford yesterday (excellent btw) and ordered Twin BA with fixed premium cable in a medium shell and the limited Ice Blue colour from the Facebook page.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #282 of 5,310
I want these, but it sucks since i'm a teenager and have to get them reshelled when the get too small.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #283 of 5,310
I am fairly interested in getting a pair, I have a couple of questions. Know that I am on a budget here.

1) What will I gain with the single balanced armature upgrade? (Worth 15 pounds)
2) What is the difference between stock Pure and stock Flex? (Same price)
3) For 20Pounds I can upgrade the Pure package to Plus "Plus package includes balanced armature driver for enhanced clarity and premium fixed cable."
Would this be the same as Flex with BA and Premium Cable?
4) What are the benefit of detachable cables? Top exit mean the cable will go around your ear?
5) On those DIY impression kits, is shipping back included? If not how much from the UK?

Thanks in advance for some clarifications.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #284 of 5,310
Not too sure on more driver generally equals better. More potential that you early is more or less accurate but if they are used wrong and not using a good crossover then who cares to be honest. So yes there u more potential but you can't guarntee better but will be different. I'd take a single BA ortofon EQ5 over a triple BA Shure se535 or a single dynamic Sony Ex1000 over any dual dynamic I have heard for example.

Well yeah, there are always exceptions to this "rule". It's just that generally speaking, the model with higher driver count will usually be more expensive and usually considered superior. But not always of course.

For example - most custom IEM companies start with a single or dual driver design for a cheaper price, and work their way up to the flagship offering, which is most expensive and supposedly the best. But within that hierarchy there can be models that don't fit the plan - like some people prefer the 5 driver UM Merlin over the 6 driver Miracle. Or if you wanted heavy bass, the JH11 might be better for you than the JH13, despite having two less drivers per side. And of course UE has their 3 driver UERM model positioned as equal to their UE18 with twice the drivers.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #285 of 5,310
Quote:
I am fairly interested in getting a pair, I have a couple of questions. Know that I am on a budget here.

1) What will I gain with the single balanced armature upgrade? (Worth 15 pounds)
2) What is the difference between stock Pure and stock Flex? (Same price)
3) For 20Pounds I can upgrade the Pure package to Plus "Plus package includes balanced armature driver for enhanced clarity and premium fixed cable."
Would this be the same as Flex with BA and Premium Cable?
4) What are the benefit of detachable cables? Top exit mean the cable will go around your ear?
5) On those DIY impression kits, is shipping back included? If not how much from the UK?

Thanks in advance for some clarifications.

1) Preference i guess. BA vs. Dynamic driver.
2) Don't think there is a difference
3) Yes
4) You can replace the cable if (when) it breaks. Ability to replace the original cable with heavy duty aftermarket cables. Top exit -> Over ear.
5) Shipping back is not included (If it is i missed something and spent 10$ extra in vein :D )

I'd recommend you to shoot Phil at Cosmic Ears an e-mail. He is extremely helpful and will answer all your questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back