Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Aug 17, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #5,146 of 5,310
Hi all !

First of all, thank you for all the amazing feedbacks. I read almost the whole thread before I ordered the CE6P some time ago. Still waiting for them, I can't wait !

I am considering to make an upgrade with the DAP in a near future, and I would like to ask if anyone tried to pair the CE6P with the Cayin N5 (in SE and / or BAL, as the second one seems to be quite noisy with some sensitive IEMs) ?
I would be interested in a description of the sound, particularly in terms of imaging and soundstage.
I would also be interested by a general description of the sound one hears overall with this set.

From what I read, it seems that the N5 is more on the larger width size but without a big deepness (I do not know for the height) in the soundstage. Someone told me it is very good for not so charged music, but it can sound a little weird with a lot of instruments (but he tried it with Earsonics SM64) without being unpleasant (he told me he got better texturing than with his previous DAP, but he feels the soundstage could be better).

A test with CE6B would be appreciated too, as I believe it may have a similar output compared to the CE6P ? The same goes with the discontinued CE5P I guess.

I am still novice in the HF world, so please forgive me if there is anything wrong with my post.

For details, I had Cowon J3 + Earsonics SM2v2 and I found the sound to be quite lifeless, that is why the N5 catches my interest.
Unfortunately, the SM2v2 are broken now.
I think that if I had to resume what I would like from the music I listen to in one word, I would say "emotional" (I think it is antagonist with "lifeless")

I hope I am clear enough :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #5,149 of 5,310
This is unfortunate. Cosmic Ears used to be really attractive to people because not only were their products absolutely wonderful, but they were more affordable than many other brands.
I wonder how they would justify this sudden rise in prices.

Take Aëdle for example. They started off with the VK-1 at a price that was frankly quite high, but that was because the company was very small at the time and a lot of the manufacturing and assembly was made by hand. A few months back, they put in place a new assembly line and thus reduced the price of the VK-1 by over 100 euros! That's what should happen when a company starts to grow!

I fear Cosmic Ears are taking a wrong turn here.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #5,150 of 5,310
i think the rise in msrp is a really good way to control demand. i bought mine during the 450 age and waited 6 months for it and it has a little flaw in the artwork. i would rather pay more to have a perfect one and sooner. they are really working on a large quantity. and also consider the drop in exchange rate of the pounds.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #5,152 of 5,310
i think the rise in msrp is a really good way to control demand. i bought mine during the 450 age and waited 6 months for it and it has a little flaw in the artwork. i would rather pay more to have a perfect one and sooner. they are really working on a large quantity. and also consider the drop in exchange rate of the pounds.

I think it may be due to the high demand too. They are also in vacation right now so it may make them avoid to accumulate the orders.

I hope mine comes flawless though (and I got it just before the sudden rise but before the drop of £).

As for the exchange rate, it may be true if they import a lot of pieces from outside UK but not for exportation from UK (the final earphones). Moreover, for people who pay in £ it is really more expensive.
However, I read somewhere that almost 50% of the food in the UK come from importation, and that there was a general rise in prices for those products.
Economics is complex and I do not draw any conclusion, but IMHO the main reason is to deter the orders.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #5,154 of 5,310

That's what I heard too

I wonder, pray tell, have the prices on the CE 1, 2 and 3P increased substantially as well? I've literally just started looking into CIEMs, I'd not once pondered buying any more in-ears of any kind at all because of how uncomfortable I felt when I used regular ones to go to school as a kid. Was wondering if the CE2P are worth it at their current price of like 350£ for the customizations and options I want (the CE3P at £450 would be sort of within my comfort zone as well).

I've purchased an AK70 a little over a week ago though so figured I may try some affordable customs to see if I can deal with it or if I need to continue sticking to full sized headphones like the PM-3 and such for portable use, it's gotten to the point where I either manage to get into proper CIEMs or just save up for some Ether Flow Cs and be done with it.

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #5,156 of 5,310
As above if you want something cheap to see if you can cope with CIEMs then Custom Art Music One might be a better bet. I have the CE6P which I rate very highly but I bought them for £450 would I buy them at their current price? Not sure.

It all depends on what you need the CIEMS for, they are good for isolation and discreetness - you can't be discrete with some flows on your head - but if you plan on only using them inside I do not see much of a point in them

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #5,158 of 5,310
Yes you are correct. They seem to have V shape like sound. I am in the process of getting them. I do like V shape sound. I hope they live up to expectations. Had Shure SE 535 molded to custom with 2 added drivers which I unfortunately lost recently.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #5,160 of 5,310
Appreciate the suggestions and clarifications.

It all depends on what you need the CIEMS for, they are good for isolation and discreetness - you can't be discrete with some flows on your head - but if you plan on only using them inside I do not see much of a point in them

Yea you're right, mostly I'd be using it at the office so wearing flows is not a big deal - if I got CIEMs I'd use them whilst commuting on occasion too I guess but that happens rarely so may not be worth it really,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back