Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
May 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,961 of 5,310
  My main issue is there's a tiny line across the top left corner of the screen, everything works perfectly but I feel that would drag the price down too much. I bought a set of hd650's again, panam amp, sansa clip+, CE2E and reshelled BA4F in the past few months. I'm meant to be a student.

If I could get £150 never mind 150EUR I'd be very happy

Do you feel the difference in performance is worth the price? I liked the sound of the fiio X5 although I haven't looked into it much, I do prefer the look of the dx line.

I just flashed my DX50 today with a DX90 firmware port that bypasses android sound processing completely and goes straight to the dac, I'll see how the sound change is when I get my BA4

First of all: There is no hiss, which is a huge improvement. And I'm willing to pay just for that.
The dac is definitely better, althoug h I couldnt A-B test it. I did test it againts my audinst hud-mx1 DAC. Both using the LO to the O2.
And the dual Sabres actually seem to do a thing. The DX90s dac actually sounds a bit better than the hud-mx1. Seperation and clarity is slightly better on the DX90, and it's slightly less warm sounding.
The DX50 was plainly cold sounding compared to the hud-mx1. I didn't dislike it, but it sure wasn't better than the hud-mx1. 
DX90's amp also seems to have better dynamics than the DX50. Guess having 7 opamps does pay off.

I'm guessing that you would hear much less difference between the DX50 and DX90 when using good dynamic earphones.
I still think the BA4f is fairly picky of the source.

May 29, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3,962 of 5,310
I've still got my Fiio E17 that I've barely used, if I can get a reasonable amount for that I'll look into getting my DX50 onto ebay too, I totally agree with what you mean about the DX50 being plain and cold sounding, vs my desktop PanAm the sound is good, but it never really impresses me.

May 29, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #3,963 of 5,310
  First of all: There is no hiss, which is a huge improvement. And I'm willing to pay just for that.
The dac is definitely better, althoug h I couldnt A-B test it. I did test it againts my audinst hud-mx1 DAC. Both using the LO to the O2.
And the dual Sabres actually seem to do a thing. The DX90s dac actually sounds a bit better than the hud-mx1. Seperation and clarity is slightly better on the DX90, and it's slightly less warm sounding.
The DX50 was plainly cold sounding compared to the hud-mx1. I didn't dislike it, but it sure wasn't better than the hud-mx1. 
DX90's amp also seems to have better dynamics than the DX50. Guess having 7 opamps does pay off.

I'm guessing that you would hear much less difference between the DX50 and DX90 when using good dynamic earphones.
I still think the BA4f is fairly picky of the source.

The BA4 definitely is picky. Have you tried the rockbox port though? I find that fooling around with EQ fixes the coldness of the player.

May 29, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #3,964 of 5,310
I've always just used my BA4 through lineout with that player, I don't really know what I'm doing with an EQ
I tried the rockbox port a little while back but it would just throwup a system error when trying to play a file. I far prefer using the DX90 port

May 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #3,966 of 5,310
  The BA4 definitely is picky. Have you tried the rockbox port though? I find that fooling around with EQ fixes the coldness of the player.

Nope, I don't own the DX50 anymore. And the DX90 sounds perfect to me!
  I've always just used my BA4 through lineout with that player, I don't really know what I'm doing with an EQ
I tried the rockbox port a little while back but it would just throwup a system error when trying to play a file. I far prefer using the DX90 port

The LO as in, paired with another amp???

And I still use the EQ, but that's just because the BA4f simply has too much bass, and too little treble for my taste.

May 29, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3,970 of 5,310
The new connector truly is fantastic and the cables crazy thin, even after all the pictures I've seen I didn't expect it to be as thin as it is
The cable stay bit for the top half is also a lot better, should be good when running

May 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,973 of 5,310
  I didn't realise in the picture Cosmic Ears put on their facebook, but I thought I should illustrate here, my left side is a gold skeleton and the right has a silver one

I love those skeleton leaf designs and I will probably be asking Phil to do something like it for me. I do prefer though the more random dark lines on the orange/green pair they have on their. Did you ask for something slightly different or they just did something different for you? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back