Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,407 of 5,310
  What did you edit and why?

Mainly my opinion on the treble and bass. In the first iteration, I stated that the bass was only boosted by about 3-4 db. That might be so, but only compared to the already warm-ish mackie monitors. So I removed that part. After spending some time with the AKG K702 annies, going back to the BA4f makes it clear that the treble is the weakest link in the BA4f. So I also added that bit.
In short, the review is a little harsher and more honest now!

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,408 of 5,310
After using my repaired BA4F in trasportation, my PROS/CONS (compared to my previous Klipsch) :

PROS :
- Sound : Huge sound, exactly what I was looking for. Not too much bass, just the correct amount for my needs.
- Cable : can be changed, before with my previous IEM, I had to change it every year due to cable issues
- Fit : Once you put it in you don't feelt it

CONS :
- Isolation : I thought that the isolation should be better with CIEM but not. It was better with the Klipsch.
- Fit : Due to loose fit, isolation is not perfect
- Smarphone Mic & Remote : Unfortunately, no remote cable at this time for the Cosmic Ears CIEM

I'm a bit disappointed because now the sound is perfect butto solve the problem it needed to break the previous shell and built a new one. But the fit of the new shell  is worst than the previous one that was perfect.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #3,409 of 5,310
Looks like you should get it modified because the isolation is great when the fit is correct. Bbviously you're having a problem in that area as you say yourself.
Not only does it influence the isolation, it also influences the sound, and bass mostly.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #3,410 of 5,310
Mainly my opinion on the treble and bass. In the first iteration, I stated that the bass was only boosted by about 3-4 db. That might be so, but only compared to the already warm-ish mackie monitors. So I removed that part. After spending some time with the AKG K702 annies, going back to the BA4f makes it clear that the treble is the weakest link in the BA4f. So I also added that bit.
In short, the review is a little harsher and more honest now!

Funny, when I read your review I feel like you are describing my monitors, but you have F version and I have R version:confused_face(1):

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #3,411 of 5,310
Funny, when I read your review I feel like you are describing my monitors, but you have F version and I have R version:confused_face(1):

Well, the only difference is a slight boost in bass in the BA4f model. And I EQ the bass down. So it's pretty much the same thing we're hearing 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #3,412 of 5,310
Not exactly. I will try to explain this more precise.

Let us assume that I have R version and you have F version and that F version have 3 db boost in the bass in comparison to R version.
Then, if you were saying that in your F version you have to lower the bass by 3db and I would do nothing with my R version then I would agree with your statement that we are hearing the same thing.
But, please note that I'm also lowering the bass by 3 db and we both do this in order to have more balanced/clearer sound. So, either I mistakenly have F version (but Phil told me that according their measurement I should have R version) or you ears tolerate more bass by around 3 db.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #3,413 of 5,310
Not exactly. I will try to explain this more precise.

Let us assume that I have R version and you have F version and that F version have 3 db boost in the bass in comparison to R version.
Then, if you were saying that in your F version you have to lower the bass by 3db and I would do nothing with my R version then I would agree with your statement that we are hearing the same thing.
But, please note that I'm also lowering the bass by 3 db and we both do this in order to have more balanced/clearer sound. So, either I mistakenly have F version (but Phil told me that according their measurement I should have R version) or you ears tolerate more bass by around 3 db.

If Phil says you have the reference version, you have the reference version.
I think your ears got used to the bright sound of the etymotics. And I came to terms with the slightly softer treble :) (I also turn the treble up a bit in the EQ)

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #3,414 of 5,310

I'm a bit disappointed because now the sound is perfect butto solve the problem it needed to break the previous shell and built a new one. But the fit of the new shell  is worst than the previous one that was perfect.

Please get back in touch with Phil. He has a record of going to extended lengths in order to ensure his customers are happy.

Nov 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #3,415 of 5,310
If Phil says you have the reference version, you have the reference version.
I think your ears got used to the bright sound of the etymotics. And I came to terms with the slightly softer treble :) (I also turn the treble up a bit in the EQ)

Maybe you are right. But I will ask Phil to double check my monitors once I send them to him for the refit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back