Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,942 of 5,310
I just listened to Girls' Generation- all my love is for you and my god, I couldn't even listen to the whole song. It sounds very harsh from the get go (don't know what it is but all I hear is a sharp "ssssss" sound in the upper parts and this is the sound that bothers me in almost all the songs I've heard so far but it was particularly bad in the song mentioned above), I don't think my audio file is bad quality cause its lossless straight from the CD. If you don't mind marleybob, could you perhaps try to listen to this song with the BA4F demo and see if you hear the same thing?

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,944 of 5,310
I just listened to Girls' Generation- all my love is for you and my god, I couldn't even listen to the whole song. It sounds very harsh from the get go (don't know what it is but all I hear is a sharp "ssssss" sound in the upper parts and this is the sound that bothers me in almost all the songs I've heard so far but it was particularly bad in the song mentioned above), I don't think my audio file is bad quality cause its lossless straight from the CD. If you don't mind marleybob, could you perhaps try to listen to this song with the BA4F demo and see if you hear the same thing?

First of all, you will not get any sibilance from a bad quality file. It's either there in the recording or it isn't. I first tried it with my gmp 8.35D (closed headphone, bright sounding), yeah there is sibilance. 

But, with the BA4F, I actually don't hear any sibilance. I can hear the s sounds very clearly, but it's not sharp at all. I also tried the BA4R, the voices were bright sounding, slightly shrill, but still no real sibilance. Btw, I used a 320kbps file.

What is your reference for sibilance, for instance have you ever listened to the beyerdynamic dt770 pro, or the hifiman HE400?

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,945 of 5,310

Good impressions, thanks! Off the top of my head, I'd guess the demo models are both giving you slightly less bass than their universal counterparts would, just based on seal. If I take your impressions and add a slight bass boost on each, they line up (more or less) with my own. 

I do think both models - but especially the BA4R - really demand a good source and quality amplification. The BA4R is never a bass monster but it's extra thin and wispy with a Sansa Clip+ or similar caliber player. 

Well, as I was testing the BA4 for infamoussteven, I went and tried a bass boost. I found that the BA4R with a very generous bass boost of about 6db still lacked body for me. With a bass boost of about 3-4db the BA4F was definitely bass heavy, but on most songs it was fine. I reckon the 3-4db boost is a bit much though. I also tried manually holding the demo models in the optimal position (really pushing them in hurts like hell) and the added bass was also accompanied by added treble, which in both cases couldn't have been more than a singular db.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2,946 of 5,310
First of all, you will not get any sibilance from a bad quality file. It's either there in the recording or it isn't. I first tried it with my gmp 8.35D (closed headphone, bright sounding), yeah there is sibilance.   
But, with the BA4F, I actually don't hear any sibilance. I can hear the s sounds very clearly, but it's not sharp at all. I also tried the BA4R, the voices were bright sounding, slightly shrill, but still no real sibilance. Btw, I used a 320kbps file.

What is your reference for sibilance, for instance have you ever listened to the beyerdynamic dt770 pro, or the hifiman HE400?

Thanks for testing for me. I gave the song a listen again and I agree on all your points, the s sound is present but it isn't sharp at all. I've never really heard a strong presence of that s sound with my other headphones/earphones so I thought something were wrong with my BA4F but now that I listen more, I know there's nothing wrong. I've given the BA4F a bit more of listening and I must say, these are really an amazing set of monitors. The bass is just right to me and I can clearly hear the separation between instruments.

This song amazed me the most through the BA4F. The bass is deep and present but not overpowering. I always heard the harmonizing behind the singer's voice but today I heard harmonizing in parts of the song that I didn't know was previously there, it was definitely new to me.

I hope my descriptions make sense, I'm not really good at explaining sounds.

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,947 of 5,310
  Thanks for testing for me. I gave the song a listen again and I agree on all your points, the s sound is present but it isn't sharp at all. I've never really heard a strong presence of that s sound with my other headphones/earphones so I thought something were wrong with my BA4F but now that I listen more, I know there's nothing wrong. I've given the BA4F a bit more of listening and I must say, these are really an amazing set of monitors. The bass is just right to me and I can clearly hear the separation between instruments.

This song amazed me the most through the BA4F. The bass is deep and present but not overpowering. I always heard the harmonizing behind the singer's voice but today I heard harmonizing in parts of the song that I didn't know was previously there, it was definitely new to me.

I hope my descriptions make sense, I'm not really good at explaining sounds.

That's really good to hear! Phil was just telling me that people are often shocked by a full armature sound.
But trust me, if there is anyone that hates sibilance, it's me. I'm quite sensitive for it, but the BA4F (and R) don't have this distortion at all.
When I was listening to that song, I also noticed that the BA4 models actually sound better than my full sized gmp 8.35D. So I agree, they are quite amazing.

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,948 of 5,310

hmmm thats weird i mean i've heard that song quite a few times too, except its on my iphone4 and westone um1's. even then i didnt hear that much sibilance from it...and its pn 320 kbps, cos i dont think the um1's could differentiate between that and lossless anyways

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2,952 of 5,310

Yep! Phil said that it was definitely the small bore size that caused my problems. Other people just never disliked it :p
My new shells have the normal bore sizes btw.

So they find a way to build it special for your tiny tiny miny ear canals
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #2,955 of 5,310

Phil said: keep them as a gift :$ 

Such a nice ceo :D

- * a merciful god * -

Yeah :p I guess the canals are slightly more prone to breaking now.

I am an idiot, i forgot to include the silicone tips when I returned the demo models :s

lol
biggrin.gif
I am sure he is an awesome guy to do business. He definitely tries to solve every problem and he doesn't let customers go until they are fully satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back