Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Aug 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,476 of 5,310
Regarding the cable with on/off switch:

I found this switch, its dimensions: (l x w x h) 6,4 x 19,8 x 10 mm.

Do you guys think Phil could sell me an extra cable? I noticed the aftermarket cables are still unavailable. If I could modify a spare cable, this would be considerably easier and cheaper than buying the interconnects etc.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2,477 of 5,310
There are a lot of switches similar to that one. I prefer the sub-mini switches over that one. I had considered using a sub-mini switch and making a small cylindrical enclosure to put it in and run the cable through. Something would small and sleek, but I still imagine it being a bit cumbersome. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,478 of 5,310
Quote:
There are a lot of switches similar to that one. I prefer the sub-mini switches over that one. I had considered using a sub-mini switch and making a small cylindrical enclosure to put it in and run the cable through. Something would small and sleek, but I still imagine it being a bit cumbersome. 

Do you mean the cherry switches: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/submini/ ? I figured the above switch would do nicely due to its large button!

It would be really easy to incorporate these switches in the cable with some shrinking tube.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,479 of 5,310
Quote:
Do you mean the cherry switches: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/submini/ ? I figured the above switch would do nicely due to its large button!

It would be really easy to incorporate these switches in the cable with some shrinking tube.

Basically yes, but in my mind I was picturing a rocker switch for some reason. It would give a nice tactile feel I think. Then again it might be terrible in reality. The ones I've been looking at still aren't quite as small as I'd like them to be. Maybe if there was a sub-sub mini lol. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,480 of 5,310
Quote:

Basically yes, but in my mind I was picturing a rocker switch for some reason. It would give a nice tactile feel I think. Then again it might be terrible in reality. The ones I've been looking at still aren't quite as small as I'd like them to be. Maybe if there was a sub-sub mini lol. 

I guess the way they are incorporated are very important too. I think I'm just going to buy one or two of those switches and see how they feel etc. A shop in my town might have them, so that might be worth checking out first.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #2,483 of 5,310
Quote:
Just had a email from Phil to say my ma1's should be shipping tomorrow :)

Congrats!

I have some good news too:

1. I picked up a small toggling switch, and incorporated it into the apple earbuds cable succesfully.
2. Phil was being awesome, and decided to sponsor my little project with some old cables! Very happy about this!

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,484 of 5,310
Would you be able to post the switch you used?

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,488 of 5,310
Quote:
Nice! Now you just need to work on making it pretty enough to sell :)

Well I don't think I'll sell them! They would simply get too expensive. I'd have to buy the actual cable, and looks like I'd have to order them from plussounds from the us. Then after paying a lot of import taxes and shipping fees I would have to braid them or get them braided. Then I would need to buy the westone connectors from Asia somewhere, which would be pretty expensive too. So unless I can buy some good 2,3 channel cables, and buy the westone connectors in bulk somewhere inside the EU, it would just get too expensive.

The aftermarket cables from cosmic ears are €15 which is very, very cheap. I wouldn't mind putting a switch in it for a couple of bucks, and send it back to the user though!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,489 of 5,310
As for pretty goes I think I'll use this switch:

I like how it has a large lever that falls to the side. 

Phil has sent me some old cables, including a cable with a remote which works on blackberry and apple devices. I'll see what I can do with these cables, and if I'm done with them I can send them to other users. Cable remotes are so handy, I don't understand why audiophile daps don't use them. That's one thing I truly dislike from the audiophile community, so much expensive dacs/amps/cables that do very little for the sound, but no useful utility. However, brands like fiio do a great job, I have hope for the future!  

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2,490 of 5,310
I would love to try Phil's remote cable. I know he wasn't happy with them and went back to the drawing board, but I'm sure they would work just fine, just not up to his high standards 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back