Corda Symphony info and impressions
Jan 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #301 of 428
I'm not sure what actual sales have been like, but there is no doubt that *especially* in the current economic climate, the market for $1300 headphone amps is pretty small. When the Opera was launched, the world was in a very good economy. I'm not sure how much impact this has, but I have to imagine it has some.

By all accounts, the Symphony is a better amp than the Opera, which I thought was a terrific amp.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #303 of 428
I wish I could afford symphony...
(I realy need a good DAC for my Squeezebox)
I would like to change my iBasso D3 cause it doesen't play with my Squeezebox at all. There is sth. with synergy with them cause separately they do good job but together sound awful (lot of distortion).
I've changed Squeezebox PSU for much beter linear one - sound is much better but there are still distortions when loudnes is > half position.
I'm thinking about Arietta. I was told (Mr. Meier) than Cantate is more expensive but it has better amp.
I don't need another USB DAC I just need good amp for my SB so I'm not sure if 2x more EUR for Cantate is worth for? (I will still need DAC for SB which lacks USB out)

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #304 of 428
Lovely looking piece of equipment. Is this one of the better SS amps around? Phew! 1700$ is costly

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #305 of 428
In reality the price is [size=x-small]$1310 [/size](..as appear in the page...). But it is better than getting overpriced headphones/cables (which is ridiculous) for almost the same price. And yes, they look very beautiful, and have a lot of funtions...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lovely looking piece of equipment. Is this one of the better SS amps around? Phew! 1700$ is costly

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #306 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In reality the price is [size=x-small]$1310 [/size](..as appear in the page...). But it is better than getting overpriced headphones/cables (which is ridiculous) for almost the same price. And yes, they look very beautiful, and have a lot of funtions...

I totally agree. I cannot understand why those cables are so expensive.

Jan 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #307 of 428
Why not? There are esoteric speaker cables out there that cost $10,000.00. What's sad is that there are actually people out there that will pay that price for a length of copper and silver wire. What's even sadder though is that I can't afford that even if I wanted to.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #308 of 428
Any issues using the Symphony with the Wadia iTransport? Anyone using the Corda Symphony as a Pre-Amp?

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #309 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree. I cannot understand why those cables are so expensive.

I did agree with this statement before I got the proper setups that can show the difference of cables.

However, I don't want to spend much money on it too.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #310 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any issues using the Symphony with the Wadia iTransport? Anyone using the Corda Symphony as a Pre-Amp?

My Wadia iTransport is currently for some modifications at Audiocom. Before I used the Symphony quite often as a DAC for the iTransport. To my feeling he does a very good job.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #311 of 428
Can someone share the listening difference between different DAC mode , and the Album that can show the difference ?

My symphony is now running for 2 weeks. It's a great AMP. Just I can't tell the difference during blind test for the DAC modes.

I just use the black power cable comes with Sympohny. Should I upgrade my power connection ?

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #312 of 428
You should probably upgrade your headphones.
With both switches on the lowermost position you get the most detailed and transparent (but also a tad thin, digital and aggresive to my ears) sound the DAC is capable of. The middle position for both switches probably offers the best balance between warmth, full body and resolution. Still, the lowermost setting is a bit more transparent and revealing. I never use the uppermost setting as it trades too much detail and air for warmth.
Lately I am using quite often the middle position for the left switch and the lowermost position for the right. It's just a bit fuller, bass-wise, for my GS1000, than the middle setting for both.
Of course, it is all a question of music, headphones and, especially, ears involved. What seems thin and aggresive to me using GS1000 might sound like the warmest, fullest sound someone else can get from HD650 or any other headphone. One thing is for sure though: although I wouldn't call it a night and day difference, the different settings do make a change.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #313 of 428
Regarding a previous question, I wouldn't say iTransport is the best source money can buy for Symphony, or for any high end DAC for that matter. While providing more than decent SPDIF output for decent midrange gear, it's by no means in the same league with Symphony in terms of build and sound quality. I'd rather call it the best thing ever happened to Ipod. If you absolutely want the best sound, money being no issue, from an Ipod, this is the only way to get it. Plus an upgraded PSU, plus further optional upgrades. But if you are simply interested in the best source SQ-wise, a dedicated transport or a RME soundcard are better choices. Just my opinion.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #314 of 428
Thanks 'revenge' 's sharing.
I'm using K701 with Symphony. I'll try to give my ears more training.
smily_headphones1.gif
, or get an GSK to test on my system.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #315 of 428
The A/B blind test is not always the best way to do it. Forget about purists and objective, definitive methods of assessment. You are human and, as such, it takes time to evaluate, time to love, time to hate, especially if you are inexperienced. So I would rather advise you to go for a setting (and, to make things easier, I would suggest the extremes, either the upermost, or the lowermost position), use it for a few days until you get very well used to the sound, and then go through the same music using the opposite setting. Thus the changes in sound should become apparent. For me they are instantly obvious, although, I have to give you that, subtle, on both GS1000 and AH-D7000. Because you've mentioned the cables, some people spend a lot of money on cables for less...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back