Corda Swing
Jan 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #77 of 89
About S/N ratio in Swing.

A few weeks ago i asked Jan Meier about Swing signal to noise ratio, he wrote that for Swing S/N is "Larger then 140 dB More important, due to the concept of the amp noise reduces at lower volume settings. Thus SNR is still very high at low volume settings also".

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmagus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About S/N ratio in Swing.

A few weeks ago i asked Jan Meier about Swing signal to noise ratio, he wrote that for Swing S/N is "Larger then 140 dB More important, due to the concept of the amp noise reduces at lower volume settings. Thus SNR is still very high at low volume settings also".

Hmmmmm...that doesn't sound right. I am going to ask Jan about this.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmmm...that doesn't sound right. I am going to ask Jan about this.

Great - post after all info about this problem.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #80 of 89
So Jan sent me some information about this - and the Swing is indeed capable of 140 db S/N ratio - with NO INPUT. There are some smart things Meier has done to keep the S/N ratio low.

So to a degree, I stand corrected.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

So Jan sent me some information about this - and the Swing is indeed capable of 140 db S/N ratio - with NO INPUT.

And that helps in the real world........?

[EDIT] In retrospect, how do you even measure SNR if you aren't measuring the output of the amp with it actually amplifying a signal? It makes no sense.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that helps in the real world........?

[EDIT] In retrospect, how do you even measure SNR if you aren't measuring the output of the amp with it actually amplifying a signal? It makes no sense.

Yeah, I sort of wondered that myself...I'm not sure I quite understand how the measurement was taken, exactly. But that is what the measurements said.

Perhaps if Jan sees this he can explain it better than I can. He's a much more technically astute person than I am. The scale I got was also "dBr", which is "dB relative", so the whole thing wasn't crystal clear to me.

That said, there are some things Jan does in his designs, which I am not sure it makes sense for me to try to explain, that maximize SNR.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #84 of 89
As a owner I can say ... Swing is great deal for money, and Jan's magic is working in this market segment.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #85 of 89
That I am sure is true. I am about to get the Concerto to review - looking forward to that.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

That I am sure is true. I am about to get the Concerto to review - looking forward to that.

I can't wait to read it. Please use with Concerto some low impedance, low sensitivity headphones during "test drive". Thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugforeva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this be a good amp to drive the denon D5000's?

I have the Corda Swing driving my Denon D2000's and it works great! I'm sure it will work well with the D5000 also since both have almost the same specs.

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #89 of 89
How about the bass on this amp? Would it do fine when paired up with AKG K601, which generally don't have that much bass?

I mostly listen to Trance/Hardcore etc. electronic music and been looking at the Corda Swing as one option for headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back