Copper vs Silver...MEASURED (surprising)
Mar 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #166 of 206
When it comes to headphone cables, unlike microphones, the impedance is low and there is no gain so RFI pickup, etc is not an issue.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #167 of 206
for single ended RCA coax there is valid reason to use lots of copper in the shield - chassis leakage currents will create a V if they flow in the shield/ground return - the only way to reduce this is to make the resistance lower

Or you can address the chassis leakage current with galvanic isolation. :D

se

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #168 of 206
All else being equal, the resistance will go down and the capacitance will go up. Into higher impedance loads, the cable's capacitance will contribute more to high frequency roll off (into lower impedances inductance will contribute more).

The only concept behind it that I can see is that 8 is a larger number than 4.

se

Hey Steve....

Do you mean that, for instance, 650s might appreciate less high freq roll off with thin or fewer stranded wire, while 880s and T-1s which are on the opposite side, might sound better/smoother with thick or multi-stranded wire?

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #169 of 206
Hey Steve....

Do you mean that, for instance, 650s might appreciate less high freq roll off with thin or fewer stranded wire, while 880s and T-1s which are on the opposite side, might sound better/smoother with thick or multi-stranded wire?

Well, you'd pretty much have to go out of your way to make a cable that had so much capacitance to roll off high frequencies in any meaningful degree in the audio band. So you can't really make any generalizations as to audibility based on what I said.

What I was ultimately saying was that while it's not likely to ever be audible, I can't think of any reason to do it other than as a cynical numbers game. So don't fret. :D

se

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #171 of 206
  I am a bit surprised with this... I wonder what kind of difference silver vs gold will have. Also, is there any material better than gold for a headphone cable?

Nothing will be gained, use copper and be done with it. This has been covered over and over again, read the thread and avoid the voodoo.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #175 of 206
probably platinum would have the best conductivity, or try to build a superconductor from those that are being used by CERN in LHC [large hadron collider]

that can actually translate the electricity with 0 resistance 
basshead.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity

it is worth a good read, but by the time we will be using these with headphones in audiophile systems, probably there will be a thing as such perfect inductance, so no more wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back