Copper vs Silver...MEASURED (surprising)
Feb 20, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #136 of 206
And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's ass hopping.
*sigh*

Ok, let's say you have a headphone cable that is 12 feet long and uses 24 gauge wire.

The round trip resistance if the wire were made of copper will be about 0.6187 ohms. For silver, 0.5798 ohms. For a whopping difference of 0.037 ohms.

Now let's say you're driving a headphone with a 25 ohm impedance. That 0.037 ohm difference means that the copper cable will attenuate the signal by 0.0217 dB compared to the silver cable. And it will be smaller still for higher impedance headphones. You're not going to hear a 0.0217 dB level change even if you're doing instant switching listening to a single tone in the most sensitive range of our hearing, let alone listening to music.

I'm not equating small effects with no effects, I'm equating to meaningless effects.

Let's say I bump the copper wire gauge from 24 to 23. Now that copper cable will have less resistance than the silver cable. And there are any number of headphone cables out there using various gauge wire, some copper, some silver, some of the copper cables will have lower resistance than some silver cables and vice versa. And of course not everyone uses the same length of cable which just adds another variable to the mix.

se

I am in no position to say whether or not your analysis is correct as it goes.  However you are clearly not addressing the issue of dynamics.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #137 of 206
Dynamics are directly related to the dB differences. A difference as small as .0217 dB isn't detectable by any living organism I know of. It's not even within an order of magnitude for human hearing.

SE knows what he's talking about here.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #140 of 206
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #142 of 206
  I am in no position to say whether or not your analysis is correct as it goes. 

Absolutely

However you are clearly not addressing the issue of dynamics.

What issue has Steve not addressed? Are we back to winged frogs? You might try clarifying what you mean by "issue of dynamics" and not simply throw around words.
popcorn.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #145 of 206
I have a fine touch but I can neither tweak a Pot by 0.0217 dB nor can I hear that difference.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #146 of 206
I have a fine touch but I can neither tweak a Pot by 0.0217 dB nor can I hear that difference.

Pretty easy if you've got a 10-turn pot. Don't see many amps with those though.

I wonder what's taking so long for propel to figure out whether or not their amps have volume controls or not. Thought that would be a pretty easy one.

se

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #147 of 206
Pretty easy if you've got a 10-turn pot. Don't see many amps with those though.

I wonder what's taking so long for propel to figure out whether or not their amps have volume controls or not. Thought that would be a pretty easy one.

se

Perhaps he's busy soldering in a 10-turn pot to best my turning skills. I hope it's not a wirewound.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #150 of 206
  Dynamics, I think I've heard about him.
Wasn't he that Marvel villain with those terrible childhood issues brought upon him by his maniacal dad, Dr. Loudness, instigator of the Loudness Wars?

Not everyone read that, I think it was on a limited distribution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back