Convince me to buy a tube amp
Sep 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #61 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, as much as I love my new tube amp, I find the sound oddly fatiguing. I listen about 5-6 hours a day while working, and after 2-3 hours I just can't listen anymore.

Lemme guess, it's a 12AU(X)7 (5751) type.....
rolleyes.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #62 of 67
There are non-fatiguing 12AX7's. Amperex Bugle Boys, GE 5-Star 5751's...

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are non-fatiguing 12AX7's. Amperex Bugle Boys, GE 5-Star 5751's...

I agree. I just find most 12ax(u)7's (and 5751's) combine terribly with electrolytics (of course this varies with the topology). Perhaps 'fatigue' may not be the most operable word here, but they do cast a strange "sound" that, once identified, becomes distracting and a trial to listen to. I believe Eric Barbour once called them "wire like"? That's pretty close to my impression.

I prefer the linearity and even-handed neutrality of a 6/12sn7 for can amps (and pre's). When I go back to a 12ax(u)7, I can't stand it. I know some people absolutely love them, but not me. I guess that's why there are so many designs out there- something for everyone....

I will add that, when integrated into a power amp, a 12ax(u)7 type tube has less of a negative effect (IMO)> It's only when you strap on headphones or use them alone that their signature becomes obvious.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lemme guess, it's a 12AU(X)7 (5751) type.....
rolleyes.gif

I have absolutely no clue what this means. According to the seller though the tubes are Mullard CV4015 & Svetlana 6C19П-B.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #65 of 67
Bluetick I also agree with that - I prefer the "sound" of 6SN7 over 12AX7's, in general.

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #66 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, as much as I love my new tube amp, I find the sound oddly fatiguing. I listen about 5-6 hours a day while working, and after 2-3 hours I just can't listen anymore.

8 hours a day headphone listening, partially done with Grados, I wouldn't first suspect the tube choice, although of course there maybe generally regarded better tubes; I would first think to suspect their implementation by design in the little dot II+ along with fore mentioned hours of headtime and volume played as variables...

But if ace says a certain tube sux, so be it, and I'll laugh
wink.gif

BTW, no one was speaking in terms of night and day differences , of ALL implementations at higher end price points with regards to Tube amp vs. S.S. in absolute terms... Sheesh.......

EDIT: Upon rereading, are you saying you cannot listen for more than 2 or 3 hours ?

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #67 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Upon rereading, are you saying you cannot listen for more than 2 or 3 hours ?

I need to update my profile. My system has remained pretty much unchanged for 2 years, using a META42/HD600 and listening about 6 hours a day.

Now I just find listening for more then 2-3 incredibly fatiguing after switching amps, even though I really love the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back