Convince me to buy a tube amp
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until now I've been using primarily a solid state amp (ppav2). I usually listen on sennheisers with the microdac, but for the last month I've been using a NOS dac (monica) while I'm waiting for my new headroom ultra micro dac. What I've noticed with the monica is that it lends itself way better to my grados than my sennheisers. They have way more synergy. All of this temporary grado listening makes me wonder if maybe I should split off my components so I have two seperate systems. This would include my primary system:

Ultra MicroDac > PPAv2 > HD650s

my other system would be:

Monica 2 USB NOS Dac > tube amp? > SR80

What kind of tube amp should i buy? Why should I buy a tube amp? What do they really sound like?

Don't buy a tube amp. Tube amps suck. Any equipment that uses tubes suck.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm, hope I am not raining on any parades here, but tube amps CAN sound slightly warmer and fuller than solid state, but then again there are warm solid state amps and bright tubes. But even then, these differences are SUBTLE. It's not an OMG NIGHT AND DAY (not even close) difference between a well designed tube amp and a well designed solid state amp. Trust me, I use a tube amp AND a tube dac, I would know
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, I'm not being sarcastic, I am serious. I think a lot of the replies in this thread are being exaggerated.

But he's asking to be sold on a tube amp. Most salespeople embellish.
biggrin.gif

And why do you use a tube amp and dac?
(I do too)

Because it sounds good?

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #48 of 67
I just got my first Tube Amp today, a little dot II+. In my main system I use a META42 (remember these?) but I've heard a lot of other solid state amps. My headphones are a set of Grado SR-125's and a set of Senn HD600 (which I went back to after owning the 650's).

I think I just had my first real eargasm with these. The stock tubes are pretty 'meh' but the seller included a pair of Muller 4015's which just make me happy. I really don't have a better description until I get some more time on them.

In other words, I got pretty lucky. Without those tubes it would probably be right back in the FS forum, because the increased noise floor just wouldn't be worth it with the stock tubes since I mainly listen at the computer.

That being said, I can't say there isn't a SS amp out there that would do the same to me, but I can defiantly see the appeal now. I just wish I knew if the noise floor was because of the inherent nature of tubes or if a better amp would remove it. This might just be a SS/Tube compromise that you have to deal with
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

I just wish I knew if the noise floor was because of the inherent nature of tubes or if a better amp would remove it

My Woo is dead silent. So I'm guessing the noise floor is dependent on the amp and its associated tube.

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Woo is dead silent. So I'm guessing the noise floor is dependent on the amp and its associated tube.

My wallet hates you.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wish I knew if the noise floor was because of the inherent nature of tubes or if a better amp would remove it. This might just be a SS/Tube compromise that you have to deal with
frown.gif

My MPX3 is also dead silent -- even with the volume all the way up.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And why do you use a tube amp and dac?
(I do too)

Because it sounds good?

To improve the crappy digital thin sound coming out of the dac.

Get a really good source and you won't need a tube amp to sweeten the mids and highs....

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #53 of 67
Oh tubes. I was moving back towards SS after the Darkvoice 336i and then I came around full swing, with a Monarchy M24 feeding a Yamamoto HA-02. I agree with 003 that the difference is neither night and day nor a hard and fast rule. I've heard several SS amps/DACs that were warmer than any of the tube equipment I have experience with. What tubes seem to do easily (but to varying degrees) that eludes some SS is create lifelike texture that penetrates the entire note. Warmth in SS tends to mimic this quality but I've never heard it quite duplicate it before, even with the tubiest of SS. Sometimes tubes can go too far and that lifelike texture just sounds like tube texture. I always thought too tubey was equivalent to too warm, but they aren't really the same thing.

I believe the Monica 2 probably wants a tube amp that has subtle tube flavor. The Monica brings enough organic musical warmth to the table that over-tubing it would probably detract from what the Monica wants to show you.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #54 of 67
In a world where you could close your eyes and pick the amp that sounds best to your ears after A/Bing all them- you'd probably pick a tube based amp if you value timbre and overall musicality. If you value the "jump" factor, and perfect balance- you'd probably end up picking a SS (or hybrid). Of course there are many exceptions to this.

Anyone that tells you all tubes are noisy are inexperienced in the fine art of modern tube gear. Anyone that tells you SS amps are sterile have simply not heard a good one. There are exceptional examples of each. I once owned an EDGE amp that you'd SWEAR was tube. I got rid of it because it didn't sound like a great solid state. I had tube amps that did what it was trying to do- only the tube amps did it way better.

There are a lot of great amps out there SS, tube, and hybrid and it would be silly to put yourself into one camp and deny yourself the pleasure of listening to other things.

My personal journey started with tubes, then I got into SS gear heavily (I worshipped at the Nelson Pass alter), and then back into tubes again. I keep good examples of both around. If I could convince my wife to let me have several complete rigs in the house- I'd have SS and tube based systems tailored to the genre. Heaven. Yet, if only one rig is allowed, I find a mixture of tubes and solid state gear makes for the best synergy.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #55 of 67
Word....! As the SS and tube amps get very good, the differences between them get very small...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a world where you could close your eyes and pick the amp that sounds best to your ears after A/Bing all them- you'd probably pick a tube based amp if you value timbre and overall musicality. If you value the "jump" factor, and perfect balance- you'd probably end up picking a SS (or hybrid). Of course there are many exceptions to this.

Anyone that tells you all tubes are noisy are inexperienced in the fine art of modern tube gear. Anyone that tells you SS amps are sterile have simply not heard a good one. There are exceptional examples of each. I once owned an EDGE amp that you'd SWEAR was tube. I got rid of it because it didn't sound like a great solid state. I had tube amps that did what it was trying to do- only the tube amps did it way better.

There are a lot of great amps out there SS, tube, and hybrid and it would be silly to put yourself into one camp and deny yourself the pleasure of listening to other things.

My personal journey started with tubes, then I got into SS gear heavily (I worshipped at the Nelson Pass alter), and then back into tubes again. I keep good examples of both around. If I could convince my wife to let me have several complete rigs in the house- I'd have SS and tube based systems tailored to the genre. Heaven. Yet, if only one rig is allowed, I find a mixture of tubes and solid state gear makes for the best synergy.

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word....! As the SS and tube amps get very good, the differences between them get very small...

true dat

but tubes look cool

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #57 of 67
OK. you guys thoroughly convinced me to buy a tube amp. Especially the fact that they will smooth over poor recordings. This has been a major issue as I listen to a lot of lo fi that ends up sounding terrible on my high fi system.

I'm focused on getting that woo 3+ or woo 6. Those look great.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #58 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. you guys thoroughly convinced me to buy a tube amp. Especially the fact that they will smooth over poor recordings. This has been a major issue as I listen to a lot of lo fi that ends up sounding terrible on my high fi system.

I'm focused on getting that woo 3+ or woo 6. Those look great.

they dont really smooth out bad recordings, unless you get a really bad amp where its all muddy, then you can call it smooth, since everything sounds the same

wink.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #59 of 67
I'm curious, as much as I love my new tube amp, I find the sound oddly fatiguing. I listen about 5-6 hours a day while working, and after 2-3 hours I just can't listen anymore.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, as much as I love my new tube amp, I find the sound oddly fatiguing. I listen about 5-6 hours a day while working, and after 2-3 hours I just can't listen anymore.

Lemme guess, it's a 12AU(X)7 (or 5751) type....
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back