Convince me to buy a tube amp
Sep 26, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the mg head otl 3 and others like the little dot compete with something like the millet max?

the millet max is a hybrid IIRC. so its not gonna sound the same as a full tube amp

and yes, get something better then a Little Dot if you can spend $500

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #32 of 67
I do believe I remember many old posters (found upon search), saying there was definite synergy with the Grados and the Mapletree, which was also my conclusion when I owned the RS-2s... The MAD also is particularly well synergistic with my K-701s...

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do believe I remember many old posters (found upon search), saying there was definite synergy with the Grados and the Mapletree, which was also my conclusion when I owned the RS-2s... The MAD also is particularly well synergistic with my K-701s...

I've never heard a MAD sound anything but very good. I think it's synergy with Grados is somewhat overblown, it's just one of the few affordable tube amps that happens to drive them very well.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd rank Voodoochile's custom MAD as one of the top 5 single ended amps I've heard, of course it was being fed by a top notch source as well which I think is equally important but it certainly wasn't the weak link in the chain.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the ways that a tube amp can be a pain?

I can think of two, off the top of my head: heat and having to replace potentially expensive tubes. Any others? (Wet cat noses? Kids? Etc.)

I've got a tube amp coming and want to be forewarned of what to expect, both good and bad.......
600smile.gif

Tubes typically have extremely long lives in the thousands of hours. In 20 years I've had very few tubes go bad on me. Heat can be an issue but I've owned a few solid state space heaters as well a dynahi runs hot as heck as do the first watts

Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If SS amps is a realism painting, a tube amp is an impressionism painting..

It really depends on what you like.. Neither is better than the other, they are just different.. Auditioning is your best bet to find out what you like..

these generatlies are often off base I have heard very detailed and fast tube amps and slow solid state amps, it's all in the design

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really the main issue is tubes going bad. That, and some tubes will hum for no apparent reason. But still, I love Thermionics!

again fairly rare
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at the point where the op is at rolling with SS on the Grados is more natural. now the 650's on the other hand..then give them the tube amps!

this is the exact opposite of my general impressionalthough it's tough to say, in a well designed tube amp that uses high quality components you should be hearing the tube and some tubes are fast and detailed and some are warmer and slower

at the end of the day you live in the Bay Area no? There must be 100 tube headphone amps in the area.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #35 of 67
I hear JP has a tube amp.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 67
Why would you or anyone buy a tube amp?

For the warmer presentation that tubes generally afford, with a rounder sound and a more coherent sound than S.S. in general...

As always it seems, the higher price one pays, usually this too affords its own degree of higher resolution with Headamps in general, in my experience.

For instance, in comparison to the Heed Canamp, which had more raw power than my Corda Headfive as well as better low end extention and promenance of bass notes, the mapletree showed the Heed to be glassy and cold especially in its midrange. Whereas, the strenth of tubes and the MAD in particular was having the same drive and power(gain), while this amp produces an expansive soundstage and life-like vocal presentations.

Experimenting with the power tubes to change the sonic signature of tube amps provides a direct influance on tone control, dialing up the bass or bringing the midrange into even more promenance. This is both utilitarian and interesting to change up the sound, or to better match a particular headphone, or even treat the music, which in my opinion, only 50% of which is well mixed and mastered anyway and tubes do tend to hide the digital nastys of these sources. Yes, its coloration, but it sounds so very right when applied to particular recordings, allowing for their further enjoyment with a more analogue toned sound, IMO...

I had to step up to the Opera to find an amp that could replace my listening preferance of the Mapletree...

Anyways, these are some of the reasons folks upon hearing and comparisons, choose to listen thru tube amps, IMO...

Hope this helps your understanding somewhat, without the advantage of auditions...

Of course, buying used is the best way to long term audition a piece for evaluation, IMHO
wink.gif

Good luck~

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #37 of 67
I'm very impressed with the woo audio 3+ and the antique sound mg head DT/OTL MK III. Which is better for my setup would you guys say?

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
_B0Z0849-Alt-700.jpg

They sound even better than they look.

X2. However, listening to a tube amp is probably the only thing that can really convince you to get one. If you can get to a meet (or shop that has one), do it.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #39 of 67
I might be a bit biased, but I like the MG Head MkIII better because of the switchable nature between DT and OTL - best of both worlds of tube amps, you might say.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Experimenting with the power tubes to change the sonic signature of tube amps provides a direct influance on tone control, dialing up the bass or bringing the midrange into even more promenance. This is both utilitarian and interesting to change up the sound, or to better match a particular headphone, or even treat the music, which in my opinion, only 50% of which is well mixed and mastered anyway and tubes do tend to hide the digital nastys of these sources. Yes, its coloration, but it sounds so very right when applied to particular recordings, allowing for their further enjoyment with a more analogue toned sound, IMO...

x2

Tube sound is not for everybody. It needs a good design and industrial strength power supply, This is usually why the better sounding tube amps cost so much. Tube use forgives poor recording quality (which is most) and warms digital sources. Budgeting and tube amps are mutually exclusive with rare exceptions. You do need to listen to price points to determine budget. Buying based on available or limited funds may prove disappointing compared to ss amps of similar price.

I love my amp and am trying to find the tubes that sound best to me. It is much more involving than turning on the power.

ps

Man that woo is pretty.

Sep 27, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #42 of 67
looks nice with lights off

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #43 of 67
Well yes, I meant to say, they make for great night lights too, lol

My God, I'm talking myself into keeping my Mapletree.....

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #44 of 67
Umm, hope I am not raining on any parades here, but tube amps CAN sound slightly warmer and fuller than solid state, but then again there are warm solid state amps and bright tubes. But even then, these differences are SUBTLE. It's not an OMG NIGHT AND DAY (not even close) difference between a well designed tube amp and a well designed solid state amp. Trust me, I use a tube amp AND a tube dac, I would know
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, I'm not being sarcastic, I am serious. I think a lot of the replies in this thread are being exaggerated.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #45 of 67
Maybe "warm" isn't the right word. But you know what we mean. Tubes do, generally, have a quality to the midrange that generally seems to elude SS amps.

The reason the Blue Circle Audio SBH is my favorite headphone amp is it has that midrange magic that tube amps have, in spite of it being a SS amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back