Convince me to buy a tube amp
Sep 26, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

n4k33n

100+ Head-Fier
Until now I've been using primarily a solid state amp (ppav2). I usually listen on sennheisers with the microdac, but for the last month I've been using a NOS dac (monica) while I'm waiting for my new headroom ultra micro dac. What I've noticed with the monica is that it lends itself way better to my grados than my sennheisers. They have way more synergy. All of this temporary grado listening makes me wonder if maybe I should split off my components so I have two seperate systems. This would include my primary system:

Ultra MicroDac > PPAv2 > HD650s

my other system would be:

Monica 2 USB NOS Dac > tube amp? > SR80

What kind of tube amp should i buy? Why should I buy a tube amp? What do they really sound like?

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 67
My eye opener for tube amps was with a guitarist friend, who played some riffs and successively jacked his guitar on a tube amp and a SS amp. The output of both amps was directed to an effect rack then to a headphone, so i could directly compared both sounds. Even with an untrained ear (at the time) i was shocked by the difference.
For heaphone amps, the difference may be not as marked, and some still prefer the SS sound. If you dont know how tubes sound, i'd advise you to get your favorite headphones and albums to a meet or to someone who can let you plug in on their amp and listen to it.
The tubes gives a "texture" to the sound, and behave very nicely when overdriven. Usually they sound warmer than solid state. It's my favorite sound for voices, and for string instruments, but your mileage may vary !
Try them first...

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 67
I was looking at the Little Dot MK IV SE. It looks pretty nice. Anyone have it?

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 67
With the 650s I'd highly recommend something like, uh, well a Wheatfield HA-2 if you could find one.
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 67
Tube amps are COOL. There's just no doubt about it. They can also be a giant pain in the ass. But I've owned at least one piece of tube gear for the last 25 years, and I always want to have at least one. I need that fix of tube sound periodically. It's just sooooooo niiiiiiceeeee...

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the 650s I'd highly recommend something like, uh, well a Wheatfield HA-2 if you could find one.
wink.gif

<grrrrrrr> - Solid advice, but futile... bad Nate.

If $ is an issue, also look into a Millett Max, as it will be way cheaper on tube rolling (with safer and easier biasing) until you see if it is fior you. The additional harmonics in any tube amp are delicious, but you still have to pick the flavor.

Oh, you asked to be convinced - just get to a meet, and listen to one.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 67
No need to be convinced that you don't need tubes, if you listen to a Dynamite or Beta
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 67
Get yourself a MAD ( Mapletree Audio Design ) + HD1 and you'll be in heaven !

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 67
What are the ways that a tube amp can be a pain?

I can think of two, off the top of my head: heat and having to replace potentially expensive tubes. Any others? (Wet cat noses? Kids? Etc.)

I've got a tube amp coming and want to be forewarned of what to expect, both good and bad.......
600smile.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 67
If SS amps is a realism painting, a tube amp is an impressionism painting..

It really depends on what you like.. Neither is better than the other, they are just different.. Auditioning is your best bet to find out what you like..

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 67
Grados mesh with SS better then tubes any day anytime. 650's mesh better with tubes any day anytime. Grados are harder to drive on tubes then the 650's and to get any real good sound will take a better amp (higher priced) or better grados...well both actually.

Using sr80's I would not waste the money into a low end tube amp being the headphones won't gain much, the tubes don't go with the headphones, the quality of the tube amp won't be worth the price at this level...

I would invest in a better source or headphones then the amp..at least when thinking along the lines of sr80's.

if your going the tube route Run the 650's with a good amp and a good source.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados mesh with SS better then tubes any day anytime. 650's mesh better with tubes any day anytime. Grados are harder to drive on tubes then the 650's and to get any real good sound will take a better amp (higher priced) or better grados...well both actually.

Using sr80's I would not waste the money into a low end tube amp being the headphones won't gain much, the tubes don't go with the headphones, the quality of the tube amp won't be worth the price at this level...

I would invest in a better source or headphones then the amp..at least when thinking along the lines of sr80's.

if your going the tube route Run the 650's with a good amp and a good source.

I found out that Grado sounded awesome with my Melos SHA-1 and the Senns with the XP amp (SS amp). With the tubes, Senns are veiled

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the tubes, Senns are veiled

Careful with statements like that. The best Senn amps I've heard are tube amps. Granted, they're all higher-end amps, but tube amps nonetheless. There is zero veil with my amp, and bass is fast and tight. I agree that Senns sound veiled on some set-ups, but that includes most ss amps I've heard.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 67
Quote:

Convince me to buy a tube amp

Buy a tube amp or I'll send Tony "The Nose" Labruzo and Vinnie "The Big Friggin Shotgun" Calzone to fit some concrete shoes on you and send you to sleep with the fishes....
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back