Convince me to buy a tube amp
Sep 26, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados mesh with SS better then tubes any day anytime. 650's mesh better with tubes any day anytime. Grados are harder to drive on tubes then the 650's and to get any real good sound will take a better amp (higher priced) or better grados...well both actually.

Using sr80's I would not waste the money into a low end tube amp being the headphones won't gain much, the tubes don't go with the headphones, the quality of the tube amp won't be worth the price at this level...

I would invest in a better source or headphones then the amp..at least when thinking along the lines of sr80's.

if your going the tube route Run the 650's with a good amp and a good source.

I have no trouble driving either the Grado SR80 or SR325i on my MAD + Purist Custom or Darkvoice THA 336i and they are both tube amps.

I prefer the SR80 over the SR325i and subsequently sold the SR325i because I couldn't listen to them comfortably after 45mins due to the strident/shrill highs on them, even after over 500hours of use/break in. When I used the Grado SR325i on the Stello HP100 a solid state headphone amp, the highs were even more ear piercing and I wouldn't be able listen for more than 10 to 15mins.

At the end of the day, there are good & bad tube amps and the same goes for solid state. In addition to the good and the bad, there's also synergy between components ( ie. between source, amp and cans ), but when you strike the right mix, you'll never look back !

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful with statements like that. The best Senn amps I've heard are tube amps. Granted, they're all higher-end amps, but tube amps nonetheless. There is zero veil with my amp, and bass is fast and tight. I agree that Senns sound veiled on some set-ups, but that includes most ss amps I've heard.

I have run my Sennheiser HD600 and 650's on my MAD Ear + Purist Custom and Darkvoice THA 336i and there was NO VEIL !

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #18 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until now I've been using primarily a solid state amp (ppav2). I usually listen on sennheisers with the microdac, but for the last month I've been using a NOS dac (monica) while I'm waiting for my new headroom ultra micro dac. What I've noticed with the monica is that it lends itself way better to my grados than my sennheisers. They have way more synergy. All of this temporary grado listening makes me wonder if maybe I should split off my components so I have two seperate systems. This would include my primary system:

Ultra MicroDac > PPAv2 > HD650s

my other system would be:

Monica 2 USB NOS Dac > tube amp? > SR80

What kind of tube amp should i buy? Why should I buy a tube amp? What do they really sound like?

If you are going the tube route with grados get yourself a pair of sr225's. They sound awesome on my SOHA. My sr80's not as much.In other words. I am not impressed with the sr80's and my SOHA. Of course a MAD EAR+ could be a totally different story.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the ways that a tube amp can be a pain?

I can think of two, off the top of my head: heat and having to replace potentially expensive tubes. Any others? (Wet cat noses? Kids? Etc.)

I've got a tube amp coming and want to be forewarned of what to expect, both good and bad.......
600smile.gif

Really the main issue is tubes going bad. That, and some tubes will hum for no apparent reason. But still, I love Thermionics!

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 67
you'll have to convince yourself that tubes are the way to go. you do that by going to listen.

tubes just feel right to me.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweArt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no trouble driving either the Grado SR80 or SR325i on my MAD + Purist Custom or Darkvoice THA 336i and they are both tube amps.

!

I never said one would have trouble driving Grados with a tube amp. Low imp cans like solid state, let's call it a natural synergy between components..
wink.gif

at the point where the op is at rolling with SS on the Grados is more natural. now the 650's on the other hand..then give them the tube amps!

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #22 of 67
A tube hybrid definitely does not have any problems driving grados. Just look at the Millett hybrid, SOHA, and Melos amps. They all work great with low impedance(grados) headphones.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

I never said one would have trouble driving Grados with a tube amp. Low imp cans like solid state, let's call it a natural synergy between components..
wink.gif

at the point where the op is at rolling with SS on the Grados is more natural. now the 650's on the other hand..then give them the tube amps!

really? I think I tried a lot of budget amps and from my experiences and tastes, grados sound a lot better with tube amps (little dot 2+,++ and the DV) then with SS (glite, ckkIII, various portable amps)

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? I think I tried a lot of budget amps and from my experiences and tastes, grados sound a lot better with tube amps (little dot 2+,++ and the DV) then with SS (glite, ckkIII, various portable amps)

Grados Sound good out of a ipod headphone out or a high end amp with a better source. they have a difference but their difference is not as great as the 600/650's will show. hook up 600/650's to a ipod or a receiver and then listen to them on a highend amp and source..the sound can seem night and day. of course hp series grados or ps1/gs1k can make bigger sonic change from setup to setup but still not as great as the 600/650's.

Low imped headphones like Solid state cause SS has the balls to power low ohm headphones, tubes on the other hand dont like to see Low imped headphones cause now they have to work harder or some just can not go down while giving you a equality great sonic. this is why Grados sound great with any portable.

the setup could sound good to someone but you'll never have the synergy as you would between SS and grados. all depends on your experience with other systems of other types. also depends on what else is in the line and what sound you prefer. when i listen to any of the Grados on my hd25 amp it sounds great, but when i plug the same headphones into a solid state its just more natural, like the sonics flow more easily and flawless..
hd25 is an amazing amp for low imped headphones but Grados will always mesh better with solid state.

but there are Hybrid's that can give you the tube flavor with the solid state mesh, these DIY guys and gals are doing some really great stuff with the Millet.

also remember the op is using sr80's. to me they benefit from an amp but the sonics of tube type may not be what in budget or worth while to travel down that path..

did any of this make sense? i dont think it did...
blink.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 67
Quote:

Grados Sound good out of a ipod headphone out or a high end amp with a better source. they have a difference but their difference is not as great as the 600/650's will show. hook up 600/650's to a ipod or a receiver and then listen to them on a highend amp and source..the sound can seem night and day. of course hp series grados or ps1/gs1k can make bigger sonic change from setup to setup but still not as great as the 600/650's.

Low imped headphones like Solid state cause SS has the balls to power low ohm headphones, tubes on the other hand dont like to see Low imped headphones cause now they have to work harder or some just can not go down while giving you a equality great sonic. this is why Grados sound great with any portable.

the setup could sound good to someone but you'll never have the synergy as you would between SS and grados. all depends on your experience with other systems of other types. also depends on what else is in the line and what sound you prefer. when i listen to any of the Grados on my hd25 amp it sounds great, but when i plug the same headphones into a solid state its just more natural, like the sonics flow more easily and flawless..
hd25 is an amazing amp for low imped headphones but Grados will always mesh better with solid state.

but there are Hybrid's that can give you the tube flavor with the solid state mesh, these DIY guys and gals are doing some really great stuff with the Millet.

also remember the op is using sr80's. to me they benefit from an amp but the sonics of tube type may not be what in budget or worth while to travel down that path..

did any of this make sense? i dont think it did...
blink.gif

so youre saying that tubes dont give enough current compared to SS amps? and senns scale better then grados.

all true! but I still like my cheap chinese tube amp over the sonically and technically better SS amp with my 225s
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 67
OK. So what I'm gathering, is that I should be looking for a tube amp for my sennheisers instead of my grados. I can live with that. Either way, I want a tube amp :). I could just pair my sr-80s with my ppav2 and monica and call it a day.

So, that would beg the question. What would be a nice tube amp to drive my hd650s combined with the yet unreleased headroom ultra micro dac? I am willing to spend maybe $500 max. I have to admit, I like the look of the Little Dot MKIV SE more than any other one ive seen, just purely aesthetically. However, I don't know how it sounds or compares to others in its price range, so I beg the help of bluelight with this.

Help me find a good tube amp for my 650s, please!

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 67
In that price range, there is a WIDE selection of options.

The Little Dots are decent, but I don't think they're the best sounding ones available out there. I'd say the MAD EAR+ Purist (or the other one, the HD2) in the Amp FS forum right now would be a better choice, a Singlepower PPX3 (used) would be great, an ASL MG Head (MkIII would be best choice due to revised hardware), a Doge 6210 or Bada PH-12... lots of other stuff out there.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #28 of 67
Indeed, an ASL MG Head OTL III is an incredible bargain for the price.

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #29 of 67
How does the mg head otl 3 and others like the little dot compete with something like the millet max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back