Converting a 'Hi-fier' to 'head-fier' (Recommendation needed!)
Nov 6, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 31
Unless the OP wants to clarify further ~ the budget to spend is $1000USD.

That means no flagship.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 31
Nov 6, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Bright for the most part due to their revealing nature ~ certainly the DT880, DT990 and even the flagship T1 will not tolerate a bad recording.

The build quality though is top of the heap, general house sound is very neutral. If your old man is a typical audiophile in that he loves
neutral, flat sound then he might like them.

However without a serious head amp ~ most of them will under deliver big time.

Any thoughts on Headamps? My arrogant dad is really proud of his "nothing-made-in-china" collection of equipment. Although I am really thinking of getting one of those impressive china brands. Little dot or darkvoice. Tested some models for both and i was really impressed. Really affordable too.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 31

Quote:

Any thoughts on Headamps? My arrogant dad is really proud of his "nothing-made-in-china" collection of equipment. Although I am really thinking of getting one of those impressive china brands. Little dot or darkvoice. Tested some models for both and i was really impressed. Really affordable too.

If he wants a German, made in Bavaria with a tonne of grunt I recommend Violectric.

Meier is also very good ~ Concerto or Symphony models.

Little Dot is great but you have to get him over his prejudice! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #23 of 31
How about... 2 phones?
If he listen long hours, on classical / symphony, K702 will be a great phone under 300 dollars and made in Austria!

I had a Marrantz DAC/Pre-amp last time and they seem to give a warm sound so they worked out great for K702, not sure about your player though.

I'm not sure about the other phone though... Probably a close phone, like D2000/7000 (depending on your budget)? I head they have beautiful lows.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #24 of 31
Grado, made in Brooklyn for cryin' out loud.  PS500 is not as bright as the other Grados.  If uncomfortable, add G-Cushions.  Don't need an amp, he can play that game later if he's really an equipment nut.  I'm old and listen to jazz and classical.  I've had big hi-fi, too.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 31
Hi, I have a question. Would it be possible to use the headphone on his Hi-Fi amplifiier?

There is no headphone jack, but i could get a rca-3.5mm convertor. Probably will lose a bit of quality. But what im curious about, is whether a hi-fi amplifier can be use on headphones.?

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Hi, I have a question. Would it be possible to use the headphone on his Hi-Fi amplifiier?

There is no headphone jack, but i could get a rca-3.5mm convertor. Probably will lose a bit of quality. But what im curious about, is whether a hi-fi amplifier can be use on headphones.?

I think the question is more which headphones can be used with hi-fi amplifiers.  You'd be able to hook an orthodynamic like the LCD-2 or HE-6/HE-500 directly up to the amp, but that would probably destroy most other headphones unless you listen to them at an extremely low volume.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
I think the question is more which headphones can be used with hi-fi amplifiers.  You'd be able to hook an orthodynamic like the LCD-2 or HE-6/HE-500 directly up to the amp, but that would probably destroy most other headphones unless you listen to them at an extremely low volume.

How about hooking up to the preamp?

I read somewhere that headphone amps can be used as preamps. does it work the other way around too?

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #28 of 31
What you need is some quality headphone amps for your dad's preamps. The tiny amps will bring down the signal for headphones. Headphones amps when used as preamps, most of the amp work is done in speaker amps.

Ask him about his journey in Hi-Fi, whether he experimented with gear in a variety of quality or he went straight to the best. I think some learning through trial and error would do him great. Buy some mid-tier cans for him to check out and move upward based on his feedback.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #29 of 31
SR325is, great sounding headphones for the price. a few steps up from the sr60/80 as well.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
HD650 was definitely my first guess.

The 650's sound perfect for him, he obviously likes the sennheiser house sound and these once flagship phones are fantastic for the money. They are great with Jazz (I'm listening to Bill Evans right now with them) and they are very smooth, laid back, detailed, highly resovling and non fatiguing for extended listening. They also have a big soundstage which he should appreciate after years of listening to speakers.  Should also leave plenty of change for a decent headphone amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back