Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Feb 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #331 of 548
Quote:
And this is a good thing? Why not care? I try to care about anything in life. What is the point of living if you don't care? There's so much time in the day, you have nothing to do but to fill it with things you care about. Family, entertainment, yourself -- how is there anything wrong with being as interested as you can be in as many things as you can be?

Some people spend their energy caring about things other than headphone, and that is perfectly okay. Life can be worth living without giving two hoots about the small nuances of headphones. So, it isn't really a good thing or a bad thing, most people have very different priorities than audiophiles, and they shouldn't have dirt thrown on them because of it. That is the smugness I am talking about. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #333 of 548
Quote:

Hoooooly crap.
It's obviously clear you aren't reading what I wrote, or anyone else's post for that matter. Go back and re-read, word for word, what I said and maybe you'll realize your little rant is completely irrelevant.

And no, I don't obsess over worthless details of a headphone, nor do I have 6 or 7 headphones lying around the house. I'm just searching for the best possible sound quality that I can afford, so I can enjoy my music more. I'm not trying to feel superior or become a "self-expert" on headphones so I can have a shred of self esteem or whatever story you've likely come up with. Nerdy losers? You're trolling and flamebaiting at this point.

It was a hypothetical, not a troll or a flaimbait. You don't have 6 or 7 headphones lying around any more than the people who enjoy their beats enjoy them because they are uncivilized, uneducated idiots who don't know what sounds good. I was doing to people here, what the people here do to anyone who enjoys their Beats, and you didn't appreciate it, that was my point.

The mainstream sound is where the money is, that is what young people like. If you want a large market share you make what the most people are going to like and buy. If an audiophile signature would have attracted the massive hip hop/rap market, you can bet the farm, that is what they would shoot for. They made an amplified, bass heavy hip hop can for their demographic, and marketed them magnificently. Because of what they accomplished, every step of this industry has benefit ted as a result.

Beats and Monster more than achieved what they set out to accomplish, and for that they get bashed because they didn't produce a product to suit this teeny tiny little audiophile market. No way both of those markets could be simultaneously served well with one product. But because of what they did in their demographic, they made headphones more popular as a whole, and have drawn in way more people. As a result, the amount of products available has grown tremendously in all sound signatures, and you, as a consumer of headphones have more choices than ever. So why bash at all?

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #335 of 548
Quote:
It was a hypothetical, not a troll or a flaimbait. You don't have 6 or 7 headphones lying around any more than the people who enjoy their beats enjoy them because they are uncivilized, uneducated idiots who don't know what sounds good. I was doing to people here, what the people here do to anyone who enjoys their Beats, and you didn't appreciate it, that was my point.

You don't have a point. You're been doing nothing but wasting our time and dragging on this thread around some weird preconception that audiophiles love to be condescending jerks which simply isn't true.

But even if headfi'ers were some of the most vicious beats haters out there, you still wouldn't have a point. Because unlike what you're portraying them to be, beats users aren't your average consumer who just wants to be left alone by sneering audiophiles. No, they're actually the first ones to be condescending towards anyone not using beats.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #336 of 548
Quote:

You don't have a point. You're been doing nothing but wasting our time and dragging on this thread around some weird preconception that audiophiles love to be condescending jerks which simply isn't true.
This is kinda true, example:
Quote:

The bass heads are of the lesser majority and shouldn't even be an influence on something.  Pandering towards the uninformed/inexperienced can't possibly ever be the right approach.  Almost everyone starts out a bass head but it's typically grown out of for many proper reasons.
I know this isn't towards beats users but I've seen similar post pointed at them on more than one occasion.

But even if headfi'ers were some of the most vicious beats haters out there, you still wouldn't have a point. Because unlike what you're portraying them to be, beats users aren't your average consumer who just wants to be left alone by sneering audiophiles. No, they're actually the first ones to be condescending towards anyone not using beats. Door swings both ways, I've seen people step up to people with Beats and tell them they are stupid of liking Beats. Another example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633685/stupid-beats-people

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #337 of 548
So why are you here? I'm really confused... do you just not enjoy learning more about things you like?
Quote:
Some people spend their energy caring about things other than headphone, and that is perfectly okay. Life can be worth living without giving two hoots about the small nuances of headphones. So, it isn't really a good thing or a bad thing, most people have very different priorities than audiophiles, and they shouldn't have dirt thrown on them because of it. That is the smugness I am talking about. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #338 of 548
I hate to break it to the audiophile community, but the audiophile sound is not appreciated by the majority of the people who roam this planet. Beats for all intents and purposes is producing a sound that most people prefer. According to the audiophile crowd, they sound terrible, but according to the masses, which is what any smart company looking to make money would target, they sound great. I would be willing to bet that in a blind test, using popular modern music, 70 to 80 percent of the people would pick the beats over a headphone say, like the ATH M-50, or even an HD-800. I do not think these people are stupid, or have been fooled, this is just what they like. 

I doubt 70 to 80 percent would pick them over Ultrasones. LOL

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #339 of 548
It has been my impression that people generally have the idea that headphones are headphones and they will sound like they should.  The reason brands like Beats and Bose excel is that they are presented as premium headphones for the consumer.  They are also (usually) extremely comfortable.
They may be over-priced in terms of sound quality, but they are obviously worth it to the people who buy it.  I don't think head-fi members are their target market.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #340 of 548
Quote:

But even if headfi'ers were some of the most vicious beats haters out there, you still wouldn't have a point. Because unlike what you're portraying them to be, beats users aren't your average consumer who just wants to be left alone by sneering audiophiles. No, they're actually the first ones to be condescending towards anyone not using beats.

"But they started it"  This is you admitting you are acting in a childish manner, justifying your rhetoric with a grade school level of reasoning. You and others are a being  condescending jerks, and you act like you are above being called on it. The very existence of a thread designed to bash a certain product and the people that buy it is all the proof you need that audiophiles sometimes love to be condescending jerks. And I don't even like beats, not my cup of tea. My brother on the other hand has been exposed to all  my stuff, and wait for it, he prefers his Beats. And he is not uneducated, uncivilized, foolish, or any of the other condescending insinuations thrown around here at these folks because they like a mainstream heavy bass oriented kind of sound and music.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #341 of 548
Quote:

By the way, that 'stupid beats' thread was started by the same guy who, if I recall, also created a series of "Beats are better than X" threads then later admitted he was just trolling. Not someone to take seriously. (I hope he's not reading this post)

Please note that Billyjoe started off by criticizing certain posts as being condescending when they clearly were not. I wasn't arguing for the rest of the audiophile community that they don't look down on beats users. How should I know? They very well may be.

I was simply pointing out that Billyjoe's assumption that they are is an unjust one, especially considering the particular posts he criticized showed no signs of such attitudes.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #342 of 548
Quote:
"But they started it"  This is you admitting you are acting in a childish manner, justifying your rhetoric with a grade school level of reasoning. You and others are a being  condescending jerks, and you act like you are above being called on it. And I don't even like beats, not my cup of tea. My brother on the other hand has been exposed to all  my stuff, and wait for it, he prefers his Beats. And he is not uneducated, uncivilized, foolish, or any of the other condescending insinuations thrown around here at these folks because they like a mainstream heavy bass oriented kind of sound and music.

You would have a marvelous point, if we actually were arguing that beats users are stupid.

And no, I wasn't justifying anything based on "they started it." I was just pointing out a glaring hole in your logic.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #343 of 548
"But they started it"  This is you admitting you are acting in a childish manner, justifying your rhetoric with a grade school level of reasoning. You and others are a being  condescending jerks, and you act like you are above being called on it. The very existence of a thread designed to bash a certain product and the people that buy it is all the proof you need that audiophiles sometimes love to be condescending jerks. And I don't even like beats, not my cup of tea. My brother on the other hand has been exposed to all  my stuff, and wait for it, he prefers his Beats. And he is not uneducated, uncivilized, foolish, or any of the other condescending insinuations thrown around here at these folks because they like a mainstream heavy bass oriented kind of sound and music.

What website have you been hanging out on? Doesn't sound like Head-Fi. There are tons of bass fanatics on this forum, and lots of people who like EDM, hip hip, rap, dubstep, etc. So I don't know where you would get the idea this is about the music that people like and listen to. And the bass fanatics, too, find Beats to be overpriced.

And that's the point. If you could buy Beats Studios for $150, they'd be OK. But there are other phones that can complete with them at roughly half the price.

As for your brother, exactly which headphones did you let him listen to? If you weren't exposing him to phones popular among the Head-Fi bass fanatics, then you haven't proven anything.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #344 of 548
anything can topple the beats in sound at half its price. the only sole reason anyone experienced would get beats over the other headphones is that he wants the 'b' logo on it and the styling .
also we sit quietly in our homes listening to music while beats users who primarily wear their beats around the neck in public to show off their 'high end audio gear' to the people they go around with and state that anyone else's gear is bad.(aka snobbing around) it's this kind of user bashing that gets the audiophiles annoyed and causes all the hate. (if lets say an audiophile bashes a beats user who had bashed him. who is wrong? both should not bash each other btw)

also i like EDM. so my solution to the bass is the eq, simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back