Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Feb 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #301 of 548
Its amazing how polarizing Beats are. I'm 40, and I have never seen audio gear cause so much side picking: "you like Beats? Well, then you're an idiot! " LOL, of course, the older I get the more I realize the truth to the old saying "different strokes for different folks".

Some of the people I work with LOVE them, some absolutely HATE them. The ATs and Sonys in the building dont get that much attention. And of course, attention is what has made Beats a huge business success.

Personally, I own a pair of Studio's, Mixrs and Executives. Of the 3 the Executives are actually pretty neutral, wish they didnt have that noise cancelling hiss. Are they on the same level as my Beyers and Senns? No, of course not, but I still enjoy them quite a bit.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #302 of 548
some people buy beats cause they are mislead to think it sounds good. these guys need help.
some people buy beats simply to put it around their neck and snob around. these guys are free to live their immature teenage glamour.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #303 of 548
Quote:
Its amazing how polarizing Beats are. I'm 40, and I have never seen audio gear cause so much side picking: "you like Beats? Well, then you're an idiot! " LOL, of course, the older I get the more I realize the truth to the old saying "different strokes for different folks".

Some of the people I work with LOVE them, some absolutely HATE them. The ATs and Sonys in the building dont get that much attention. And of course, attention is what has made Beats a huge business success.

Personally, I own a pair of Studio's, Mixrs and Executives. Of the 3 the Executives are actually pretty neutral, wish they didnt have that noise cancelling hiss. Are they on the same level as my Beyers and Senns? No, of course not, but I still enjoy them quite a bit.

Here's the thing - two things set off the people who hate the brand. First, that the people who buy them aren't simply misled as to their sound quality or value, but they can be very aggressive too. It just seems like it's the anti-Beats that are aggressive because this is Head-Fi, or any audiophile forum for that matter, but some of this hate is just ranting coming from offline experiences - kind of like going into an all-(insert elite university here) party, where they'll really say things the way they'd never say them in public. A lot of these people in those other threads have some story about some guy SWAG-ging around with Beats calling their cans "ugly," or maybe some are kinder and say they're "boring" in the sense that they are equated to "the man" because of their business-like appearance in dark colors and are thus touted as somewhat lacking in "soul" and "personality" (if they can even get that articulate) and completely miss the point of 1) serious looks and 2) serious sound (where the real soul is). Some gave them a try, but they think it sounds like crap because Lil Wayne or Lil Jon can't blow their eardrums out with an AKG K701.

Also, expanding further into the looks, if you look at it from a social constructivist standpoint the contention then is how people interpret the meaning behind the headphone choice. Where, as stated above, the stereotypical Beats customer tends to think a reference headphone is like "The (soulles) Man,"  their gravitating to the Beats as trendy status symbols means that si also open to interpretation by others. In this case, even the image of the stereotypical customer whether it factored into the manufacturer's marketing or not plays a part - a teenager screaming "YOLO!" or posting an Instagram image with an idiotic statement like "Who needs condoms when you got SWAG?" and somehow getting associated with Beats (whether they were worn in the photos, or people who dress or think like them that we personally know tend to be the ones who like Beats, etc) sends its own signal to audiophiles. That signal is in simplest terms received as them being all sorts of stupid.

Of course, it doesn't help that it is also associated with rap music in general or at least some parts of it. That is, the people who would think such of Yolo and Swag either don't listen to rap, or they listen to 2Pac or Coolio (particularly the Dangerous Minds movie and soundtrack). That has a very different take on the realities of the origin of hiphop and rap. Where 2Pac or Coolio would decry the realities, maybe calling for change, a good chunk of rap music now either glorifies "bling" over the struggle to get out of the projects, or instead of "struggle" it's about "making it" as a gangsta rapper in the worst way of emulating how 2Pac "made it" in which case success if fully hinged on bling and bravado. Given what happened in Vegas last week, or to 2Pac and Biggie for that matter, gangsta doesn't end with selling enough records to buy Lamborghinis. It all ultimately boils down to a social ideology, even if they're not really aware of it, and the Beats hate only grows with the fear of getting associated with it, which is why they get rabid about not spending money on, or worse, getting caught wearing, Beats. Anyone with younger family members would know that the instinct to make sure the younger ones don't "go astray" or at least don't embarrass you kicks in, so they have good motivation to grind into their age inferiors' heads their own ideas.

So basically, it's not really the headphones but the stereotypical buyer that is the crux of all the negativity.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #304 of 548
Quote:

Wrong-o.  I hate to have to disagree with you, but the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator headphones are actually quite a bit better than all but the Pro line of Beats.  Of course, I would still choose the Audiotechnica ATH-M50s or the Shure SRH840s over these at $150+ dollars, but they aren't that bad.  I am hopeful that now that Tetsuro Oishi is now working for Skullcandy, that the focus will be more on sound quality rather than design alone.  I'm not expecting anything truly audiophile from them, mind you, but Tetsuro said he hoped to have the sound quality up to par with some of the lower-end audiophile type offerings within 3 years.  At any rate, it is good to know that even the mass-consumer manufacturers are trying to improve in the sound quality department.

apparently the hesh 2s aren't that bad check out Tylls graphs http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SkullcandyHesh2.pdf

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #305 of 548
Quote:
some people buy beats cause they are mislead to think it sounds good. these guys need help.
some people buy beats simply to put it around their neck and snob around. these guys are free to live their immature teenage glamour.

My idea of glamour + portability 
images
    also known as fischer audio fa-003 or lindy premium hifi headphones

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #306 of 548
also because it's a beats thread I've got to say this, it's a long story but the reason I'm an audiophile is because of Beats, it's a very long story so please read the full post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640808/why-have-we-become-audiophiles/15#post_8986187 post in your own reasons as well!

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #307 of 548
Isn't quite insane that people here pick on Beats for selling over-priced headphones, but not "audiophile" companies who sell amps and sources costing far more, which can't prove any extra value over cheap ones in blind testing or lab tests? And often the people who find "subjective" excuses for the $1000 DAP, DAC or amp are the ones most ready to condemn the Beats. What people are really saying is that they have a right to a subjective opinion - usually because of supposed "audiophile" expertise that professional sound engineers and audio equipment designers think is mostly insane -

..but that the people who buy Beats have no such right. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #308 of 548
Quote:
Isn't quite insane that people here pick on Beats for selling over-priced headphones, but not "audiophile" companies who sell amps and sources costing far more, which can't prove any extra value over cheap ones in blind testing or lab tests? And often the people who find "subjective" excuses for the $1000 DAP, DAC or amp are the ones most ready to condemn the Beats. What people are really saying is that they have a right to a subjective opinion - usually because of supposed "audiophile" expertise that professional sound engineers and audio equipment designers think is mostly insane -

As I posted previously, part of this is because of the venue, which is Head-Fi, but conversely there will be venues (online or physical) where the reverse is happening. Go through what threads haven't been deleted and there will always be some story by a guy in an M50 being told his headphones were ugly or his K701's sound like crap by some guy with Beats.

Besides, not every audiophile is a fan of outrageously-priced equipment, if anything he might be a critic of it when it has "audiophile" associated with it. For every handful of people here bashing Beats there's somebody getting banned for posting objective measurements about how overpriced equipment "measure(s) like crap, and they're making use of your ignorance to make money." (And that's putting it mildly)

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #309 of 548

That's a big generalization to suggest that people that condemn Beats predominantly fall into the category of those who buy into the SQ value of "$1000 DAP, DAC, or amp."

And no, it's not surprising that people on Head-Fi pick on Beats over audiophile companies. Picking on audiophile companies is discouraged by the administrators of Head-Fi since those audiophile companies pay for this website. (I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it's also not a conversation to have in this thread.)

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #310 of 548
Quote:

No, I see this everywhere."Who would spend $900 on a pair of headphones (referring to the HE-500)? Just buy a $300 pair of Beats and be done with it."

I don't think the vast majority of the beats-embracing public understand the hypocrisy. To them audiophilia is some fairytale world of $10000+ audio equipment that don't necessarily sound better than Beats.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #311 of 548
Quote:

My brother's a perfect example of buying beats purely as a fashion accessory (like most teenagers I imagine). I gave him my old HD25-1 ii which he uses all the time around the house and openly states are far superior to his Beats. But when he's getting ready to leave the house he takes those off and puts his Beats around his neck.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #312 of 548
Quote:
My brother's a perfect example of buying beats purely as a fashion accessory (like most teenagers I imagine). I gave him my old HD25-1 ii which he uses all the time around the house and openly states are far superior to his Beats. But when he's getting ready to leave the house he takes those off and puts his Beats around his neck.

i guess it boosts his confidence and self esteem when he does that. though hopefully one day he will grow out of the beats hype

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #313 of 548
I hate to break it to the audiophile community, but the audiophile sound is not appreciated by the majority of the people who roam this planet. Beats for all intents and purposes is producing a sound that most people prefer. According to the audiophile crowd, they sound terrible, but according to the masses, which is what any smart company looking to make money would target, they sound great. I would be willing to bet that in a blind test, using popular modern music, 70 to 80 percent of the people would pick the beats over a headphone say, like the ATH M-50, or even an HD-800. I do not think these people are stupid, or have been fooled, this is just what they like. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #314 of 548
Quote:

They're focusing more on the ones who want status symbol and want to flaunt how much more they have over the ones with status symbols - like Nicholas Cage's lines in Gone in 60 Seconds when he was in the Ferrari dealership talking about the F355 that everyone will drive to the restaurant, vs the classic (I think the classic California spyder, not sure) that he's looking for. In a similar fashion you don't need to be close to Adolf Hitler at a time when having blonde children in the Hitler Youth (or basically, not being French, Slavic or Jewish) was a status symbol already.

Having blond haired children was not a status symbol it was a philosophy of the perfect human created by the Nazi's because they thought they were an example to the rest of the world of what a perfect human being is.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #315 of 548
Quote:
I hate to break it to the audiophile community, but the audiophile sound is not appreciated by the majority of the people who roam this planet. Beats for all intents and purposes is producing a sound that most people prefer. According to the audiophile crowd, they sound terrible, but according to the masses, which is what any smart company looking to make money would target, they sound great. I would be willing to bet that in a blind test, using popular modern music, 70 to 80 percent of the people would pick the beats over a headphone say, like the ATH M-50, or even an HD-800. I do not think these people are stupid, or have been fooled, this is just what they like. 

their world is easy and one dimentional.... more bass = better performance. if only our lives were so simple...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back