Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #256 of 548
Quote:
A few days back i was asked a question by a friend: Hey! My dad is offering me 2 choices, The Beats Solo, or the Sennheiser HD800, which one should i get? The Solo's sound better right? the Sennheiser's look like ****. 

Wait, so his dad has heard of the HD 800 which means he knows good headphones, but he's still offering him beats?

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #258 of 548
Quote:
lol 50%-200%

I'm pretty sure the solos cost 6 times as much as they should and the studios/pros cost 4.

yeah the Solos wound worse than the HD201 and HD202, but are more expensive than the HD598
rolleyes.gif

The studios are worthless to me since they give me an instant headache lol

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #259 of 548
Hmmm, I find it odd;
There is not a single advertisement for Beats in my country and Ive never seen anyone wear them here, at all.
And im subscribed on my email to various mayor shop's newsletters in my country aswell, the first time Ive ever seen them in person was in Austria.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #260 of 548
For I have a novel idea!

Let's just not talk about it. We've been down this road many times before. If somebody likes a pair of beats, LET THEM ENJOY THEM AND STOP TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO ENJOY THEIR MUSIC. 

Remember at the end of the day this all comes down to one thing, sound. Whether we enjoy audio through Apple Ear-buds, an HD650 with a full size rig, or a pair of beats headphones...it doesn't matter. If somebody is happy with what they have and like what they own then let them be.

This forum exists for people "seeking"  a deeper audio experience through headphone/equipment etc. Their tastes are different than yours, so what?

TL;DR Version: Who Cares?

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #261 of 548
As a general question in cases when someone wants to buy something and asks you for your advice or opinion on it - be it a pair of headphones or speakers or whatever - how far can you advocate your recommendation (that differs from theirs in this case) before you become overbearing or imposing? 

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #262 of 548
Advocating a recommendation is a small challenge to the question bearer to research themselves. It's very much like giving directions on how to get to the city, but what they do once they get there is up to them. 

Example:

Fake-Question: "Just got some birthday money and I want some new headphones. Looking at the beats studios or bose around ears, but I'm not sure what's better. I listen to a lot of rock on my iPod."

Neutral response: The beats studios would be a better option. Lot of bass, some like it some don't, but they're pretty comfy and sound pretty good. The Bose sounds really good as well, but they don't have noise-cancelling and the extra bass like the beats.

Good Recommendation: Another option to look into is the audio-technica M50. It's a more studio-reference style headphone, but it's built really well and only goes for about $120. Maybe want to look into it

Bad Recommendation: Beats suck, they sound like garbage. You can better sets for cheaper, try sennheiser or audio-techincas.

Difference being is to actually answer the question originally asked and then OFFER a recommendation. Telling people their choices are stupid accomplishes nothing. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #264 of 548
Quote:
For I have a novel idea!

Let's just not talk about it. We've been down this road many times before. If somebody likes a pair of beats, LET THEM ENJOY THEM AND STOP TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO ENJOY THEIR MUSIC. 

Remember at the end of the day this all comes down to one thing, sound. Whether we enjoy audio through Apple Ear-buds, an HD650 with a full size rig, or a pair of beats headphones...it doesn't matter. If somebody is happy with what they have and like what they own then let them be.

This forum exists for people "seeking"  a deeper audio experience through headphone/equipment etc. Their tastes are different than yours, so what?

TL;DR Version: Who Cares?

its those are seeking good sound but are lost in a sea of confusion and have been mislead by the mystifying voice of dr.dre. for those reasons we have a reason to tell them that they have been mislead into this terrible scam.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #265 of 548
Well then. I've noticed a trend here. Many of you are being nice and helpful and recommend people headphones that they can get for half the price, which are comparable to Beats in sound quality. Which is commendable. However, what do you tell people who already own them? What should they upgrade to? I haven't seen any recommendation in this regard.

You see, there's a big difference between recommending something they should've taken instead of beats and recommending something they should switch them for. I'm one of theose poor bastards who boght them and I regret it a lot. But you see, it's hard to justify getting a pair of headphones I should've gotten in the first place, now that the damage is done. Why don't you throw out some recommendations for people who are, like myself, willing to get a significantly better set suitable for similar use? 

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #266 of 548
^

For what the Beats Studios cost? I haven't heard them, but the Ultrasone Pro 900s are considered bass nirvana for that price range.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #267 of 548
For those who had paid the price... maybe the BEATs can be modded...? 
change cables, pads...
i havent read those that often, if any....

=======

but its easier to just sell it, n buy the pro900.
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #268 of 548
Quote:
For those who had paid the price... maybe the BEATs can be modded...? 
change cables, pads...
i havent read those that often, if any....

=======

but its easier to just sell it, n buy the pro900.
beerchug.gif

I tried to mod a pair of Beats Solo without success. The driver is almost hanging and there's not enough space for damping material.  I wanted to transplant drivers from a T50rp to the beats but I did not want to destroy both pairs in the process.  

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #269 of 548
Say, how do Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro stack up? I visited this retailer and tried them out (along with Denon D1100- bass was even stronger than on beats, overal sound quality felt a lot better but I've grown sick of bass overpowering everything else by now) and I thought they were in a completely different league. Are they really that good or did I just think that because I've been stuck with Beats for almost a year?

Also, I summed up my opinion on Beats Studio in here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beats-studio-by-dr-dre-hi-def-noise-canceling-over-ear-headphones/reviews/8214

Just in case anyone's interested

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #270 of 548
Quote:
Say, how do Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro stack up? I visited this retailer and tried them out (along with Denon D1100- bass was even stronger than on beats, overal sound quality felt a lot better but I've grown sick of bass overpowering everything else by now) and I thought they were in a completely different league. Are they really that good or did I just think that because I've been stuck with Beats for almost a year?

Also, I summed up my opinion on Beats Studio in here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beats-studio-by-dr-dre-hi-def-noise-canceling-over-ear-headphones/reviews/8214

Just in case anyone's interested

No, they're really that good. The vent slider allows users to go from an accurate headphone with little bass, all the way to a bass monster. 
Beats are really not that good whatsoever. Beats sound like $50 headphones to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back