Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #46 of 548
A few days back i was asked a question by a friend: Hey! My dad is offering me 2 choices, The Beats Solo, or the Sennheiser HD800, which one should i get? The Solo's sound better right? the Sennheiser's look like ****. 

Now why do I have so much trouble believing this?

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #48 of 548
Quote:
"OMG U SOK!!1!!11! beets rawk and ur jus jel0s u cnt afford thm cuz ur a sad ulgy prson that lives in their prnts bassment and whr paid to tlk shat abut beets!!!11!!11!!!!!111111"

As poorly articulated as that is, I can still make out what they are trying to get across... though the ad hominem obviously robs the argument of any merit.  As for myself, hilarity ensues when non-audiophiles attempt to sound like audiophiles.  I guess a little knowledge really can be a dangerous thing:

"Studios are great headphones because they got lots of hertz and really great base.  Plus they got great design and great style and sound really great when you wear them.  And the rubber headband feels great because I just let my Beats hang on my neck a lot of the time.  Oh yeah I especially like the way the red ones sound."

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #49 of 548
If I needed any confirmation that humanity is doomed, surely its around the number of Beats-related threads on Head-Fi. I assume its coming out of the US, as I'm not aware of any particular fascination with the brand here in Oz - overpriced and gaudy - but allow me to offer this. Pre-Beats, Skullcandy was the Head-Fi whipping boy, and occasionally some unfortunate would mention the brand, get flamed and that would be end-of-story. We would go back to expending energy on kit from people who know how to make headphones. 

Move to sources/amps and something similar happens with Bose. In neither case do I recall 15-20 10-page+ threads on either Skullcandy or Bose on the opening forum pages on Head-Fi - what the hell, people ? Monster must rub their hands together everytime someone does a search on 'Beats' and gets diirected to Head-Fi. Free marketing - wheeeeeeee ................

- someone gives you a pair of headphones you dont like, sell them and buy something you do

- someone criticises your choice of cans/shorts/dinner jacket, tell them to get a life

- this is Head-Fi, not Hipster-Fi - nuff said

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #50 of 548
Quote:
Just read this top comment from youtube, "I know alot of people who hate on the beats and they keep talking **** because they can't afford them. In fact, almost all the people trolling haven't even tried the beats and just repeat what they hear on some ******** youtube comment. Please, try them and give them a chance. I have them and they are GREAT (and I'm not some guy who has no idea about music&sound). They're a bit overpriced, but when u put together the sound quality and SWAG quality they are worth it. Dre wouldnt lie about sound."

Dre wouldn't lie about sound. #SWAG

*faith in the teenage community lowered by another notch*

I'd love to see him keep that argument against some of the high rated $1000+ headphones on this website.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #52 of 548
Beats are not as bad as people think. I own them (Beats Studio) and use them on occasion when I travel. I find their noise cancellation circuitry decent and moderately effective. While the Beats cannot be said to be good sounding headphones, they do not offend my ears with nasty treble peaks like the ED8 or HD700. Yes, the Beats are a rip-off, but so are many other headphones. The Beats have their purposes.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #54 of 548
I tried the studio's in target and they sounded alright, kind of like the bose tp1. I still prefer my M50's, but they're a little less portable. The beats look like crap though in my opinion. On a side note, does anyone here have any experience with the JBL Reference 420? I have a pair and I really think they're a fun sounding headphone! They're also supremely comfortable!

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #55 of 548
Quote:
I tried the studio's in target and they sounded alright, kind of like the bose tp1. I still prefer my M50's, but they're a little less portable. The beats look like crap though in my opinion. On a side note, does anyone here have any experience with the JBL Reference 420? I have a pair and I really think they're a fun sounding headphone! They're also supremely comfortable!

They are definitely putting some serious engineering talent into the new range over at JBL   
biggrin.gif

Seriously, JBL is under-rated, but that seems to go with a Harman takeover. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #56 of 548
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #59 of 548
The M50s are much better than the Beats no matter how you slide them up, down, forward, or back.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #60 of 548
The M50's definitely are better. I was just messing around with them and I noticed that it brings out the mids when they're positioned further back on the ear. I actually prefer the SR80's because they're open (and of course bec they sound amazing!). I only listen to closed cans when I get in the mood for some really punchy loud music. Are there any grados with the 3.5mm plug that have even more bass than the SR80's? The SR80i's look like they would have more bass due to the increased housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back