Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #31 of 548
Quote:
I go to a private cegep and yes, the majority of people wear beats. I walk in with my t5p and they're just like "What are those?"

lol yea, i get the same reaction at school in Virginia when i wear my Portapros. because i think im the only one rocking a portapro in a radius of 100 meters...?
because everyone claims to say they want to look different, when he/she has the same colour and pair of Beats as the other kid.

im glad i know some people and students that have a reasonable taste in disliking Beats, and like other headphones. but apparently they arent too interested to actually get a pair of "good" headphones

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #32 of 548
one issue about the uneducated public/ consumers that impulsely buy a pair of beats instead of searching for "TRUE" research like in Headfi, and not in Biased reviews like in Bestbuy, cnet, etc

because i DID see quite a few kids rating headphone by the amount of Bass each have. and i always contradict them saying "you need to find a nice balanced headphone that suits your needs thats either easily driven from an iPod or an Amp"

i really dont see why my classmates dont know whats worth the price.
Skullcandy Hesh(muffled, muddy bass)-50$
vs
Sennheiser HD201(balanced sound, little bass)-20-30$

with the BIG price difference, the General uneducated public thinks "you get what you pay for" which Monster(Beats), Skullcandy, Etc does great at doing with all the (possibly bribed) biased reviews stating "ITS THE BEST HEADPHONE AROUND" or "LilWayne and Dr.Dre uses them; Which suddenly means theyre the best!" and even "Heres a pair of Beats Monsters, priced about the same as an Actual Audiophile headphone, when its not even on par with the Sennheiser HD295"

as always, i am trying to educate the interested public secondhandedly, if they want to try out my pair of headphones. they can. like another poster wrote: The OP is trying to state how you can get better sound at the same or lower the Price of the Fad headphones.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #33 of 548
Quote:
one issue about the uneducated public/ consumers that impulsely buy a pair of beats instead of searching for "TRUE" research like in Headfi, and not in Biased reviews like in Bestbuy, cnet, etc

because i DID see quite a few kids rating headphone by the amount of Bass each have. and i always contradict them saying "you need to find a nice balanced headphone that suits your needs thats either easily driven from an iPod or an Amp"

i really dont see why my classmates dont know whats worth the price.
Skullcandy Hesh(muffled, muddy bass)-50$
vs
Sennheiser HD201(balanced sound, little bass)-20-30$

with the BIG price difference, the General uneducated public thinks "you get what you pay for" which Monster(Beats), Skullcandy, Etc does great at doing with all the (possibly bribed) biased reviews stating "ITS THE BEST HEADPHONE AROUND" or "LilWayne and Dr.Dre uses them; Which suddenly means theyre the best!" and even "Heres a pair of Beats Monsters, priced about the same as an Actual Audiophile headphone, when its not even on par with the Sennheiser HD295"

as always, i am trying to educate the interested public secondhandedly, if they want to try out my pair of headphones. they can. like another poster wrote: The OP is trying to state how you can get better sound at the same or lower the Price of the Fad headphones.

For what it's worth, I'm willing to bet that the newer lower-end Skullcandies, like the Hesh 2.0, will beat the Sennheiser HD201s.

This is not knock against Sennheisers, it's just that Skullcandy seems to be on a roll with decent headphones (see Aviators, Hesh 2.0). Tyll at InnerFidelity believed that they were better bass-head headphones than the Sony XB500s. 

Second, the HD201 is not balanced. It's flat out mid-centric and bass-light. There are low-end balanced headphones, such as the JVC HARX series, but the low-end Sennheisers are not balanced. I never suggest the Sennheiser HD201 or HD202 anymore, because they both have significant issues. Not to mention, they're uncomfortable. They're a step up from the typical iPod bud listening, but they're pretty bad still.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #34 of 548
Quote:
Here at UCLA it seems like >80% of the students I see wearing headphones have some variety of Beats. Is the rest of the world like that?
I do see a lot of Sennheiser and Audio-Technica headphones, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently living in NY, I can verify some of that... literally every single time I'm on the bus, train, or even just walking down the block, there will be at least 1 person I see wearing some kind of Beats.  And it's not just one demographic either, I've seen people ranging from the ages of around 16 - 50 rocking a pair of beats. The only other brand I see more often then Beats are the stock white buds you get from apple.  There's no doubt the millions they've dumped into advertisement has worked wonders selling bad-average headphones at heavily inflated prices.

Personally I feel my 50$ Skullcandy Titans sound much better then the Solo's : / ..... can't wait for my pro550s to arrive.... I miss having great cans.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #35 of 548
lol yea, i get the same reaction at school in Virginia when i wear my Portapros. because i think im the only one rocking a portapro in a radius of 100 meters...?
because everyone claims to say they want to look different, when he/she has the same colour and pair of Beats as the other kid.

im glad i know some people and students that have a reasonable taste in disliking Beats, and like other headphones. but apparently they arent too interested to actually get a pair of "good" headphones

There's one guy I became friends with a guy in my class that owns the hfi780 and we talked a lot. Unfortunately besides beats, those were the highest end pair I've seen at my school since last year...

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #36 of 548
this is my problem with alot of people on headfi, when people sing praises of a headphone or outright bash it, they rarely ever tell you what music they were listening to on it before they formed their opinion

in my eyes, it feels like alot of people are listening to the boston philaharmonic on beats and then turning around and trashing it because they cant hear the wind chimes or something, before you walk into listening to beats, im pretty sure every single person alive that is even peripherally aware of them knows their main intended purpose is to listen  to bass heavy music mostly in the vain of hip hop & house/dubstep

if you bought beats to listen to the beatles or something and came out dissappointed, its your own fault :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #37 of 548
IMO needing radically different headphones for different genres is silly.  A good transducer should sound good with pretty much whatever you throw at it.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #38 of 548
Beats' bass isn't even that good though. 

The way I see it, their principle problems are the cheap plastic enclosures sans dampening or any real stiffness and low-quality ANC implementation.  What about either of those qualities makes them well-suited for hip-hop?

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #40 of 548
Quote:
IMO needing radically different headphones for different genres is silly.  A good transducer should sound good with pretty much whatever you throw at it.

then you prefer the jack of all trades master of none route, nothing wrong with that but i personally listen to a dumb amount of music from basically every genre under the sun and its nice to have the variety of different cans that each specialize in 1 particular type of sound so that i can get the most out of a particular genre

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #41 of 548
A few days back i was asked a question by a friend: Hey! My dad is offering me 2 choices, The Beats Solo, or the Sennheiser HD800, which one should i get? The Solo's sound better right? the Sennheiser's look like ****. 

I had a coma after that....

Firstly, i hate how beats sounds and their dirty lies to fool the uninformed, my local newspaper even says the beats WIPE THE COMPETITION AT THE PRICE RANGE , which would be the Sennheiser HD598,Hd600,Hd650, Shure Srh940,Srh 1440, Srh1840, Bayerdynamic Dt770, T5,T70, the list goes on and on. even the headphones from the lower price ranges thrash the beats (like the Sony XB-500)

Secondly, he compares a Solo, which sound pathetic in my opinion, to a HD800, which rank as among the top few world's best headphones.

Thirdly, he has a Solo for the last 2 years, and the he only knows he wants another solo, because his pair had a volume offset after 2 years of usage. (beats quality) 

Fourthly, and most annoyingly, he rated their purely performance based on styling of the headphones. That's stupid

We can see the devastation that the beats has done to the uninformed. so i told him to read up and he chose the hd800 under my persistant and firm reccomendation. (he still wasn't 100% after listening to the truth about beats for 2 hours)

And yes i will bash beats, its just THAT BAD. their dirty marketing schemes and tactics are worse.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #42 of 548
Just read this top comment from youtube, "I know alot of people who hate on the beats and they keep talking **** because they can't afford them. In fact, almost all the people trolling haven't even tried the beats and just repeat what they hear on some ******** youtube comment. Please, try them and give them a chance. I have them and they are GREAT (and I'm not some guy who has no idea about music&sound). They're a bit overpriced, but when u put together the sound quality and SWAG quality they are worth it. Dre wouldnt lie about sound."

Dre wouldn't lie about sound. #SWAG

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #43 of 548
Quote:
Just read this top comment from youtube, "I know alot of people who hate on the beats and they keep talking **** because they can't afford them. In fact, almost all the people trolling haven't even tried the beats and just repeat what they hear on some ******** youtube comment. Please, try them and give them a chance. I have them and they are GREAT (and I'm not some guy who has no idea about music&sound). They're a bit overpriced, but when u put together the sound quality and SWAG quality they are worth it. Dre wouldnt lie about sound."

he obviously rated it's sound by its styling and #SWAG

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #44 of 548
Quote:
then you prefer the jack of all trades master of none route, nothing wrong with that but i personally listen to a dumb amount of music from basically every genre under the sun and its nice to have the variety of different cans that each specialize in 1 particular type of sound so that i can get the most out of a particular genre

No, not really.  I like and dislike pretty much the same things about a headphone regardless of what genre of music I'm listening to whether it's classical, rap, rock, metal, or even video game remixes primarily featuring NES or SID synths.  I don't tolerate murky mids or grainy highs in my MC Hawking any more than my Mozart...

I really only prefer something different for playing games or watching movies and that's mostly because you're obviously not paying as much attention to the sound as when you're only listening to the music.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #45 of 548
^^^to each his own, i can see where you're coming from with your taste, as long as it sounds good to you, you win i guess lol, personally when i listen to 80's to 90's rap i prefer strong mids and ever so slightly rolled off yet still powerful thumping bass, when i listen to modern day rap i only care about bass, overbearingly powerful car trunk subwoofer bass that makes me want to double over gripping my stomach from the vibrations lol, i dont really care what the hell else is going on in the music i just care about the energy behind it, but when i listen to stuff like the killers, natalie imbruglia or radiohead, obviously that much bass or any bass past neutral imo is overkill,i'd look for something a little brighter and also more midcentric thats why i like to have a couple of different sets to bring out the best in what i look for in different types of music

Quote:

LMAO ohhhhhhh sh%t! lol thank you for that! i really needed that today

edit: to add to that tho, in the sense of fairness, i do kind of see where he's coming from as far as looks go, how often to people spend double the money on a car that offers nothing really above a lower cost model outside of just the name and styling? its a lifestyle choice, when you wear beats out in public you're making a statement, usually the same one as people who bring macbooks to coffee shops and type by a window "i'm a d#$%bag"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back