Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #16 of 548
I'm pro-beats because of what they accomplished. The beats have brought hundreds, if not thousands of people to Head-Fi in the last few years. The beats brought mainstream attention to our wonderful niche.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #17 of 548
Quote:
You can't say everyone here has not heard them. I've used the solos, studios and pros and I felt they were all pretty bad, especially the solos. The pros were very uncomfortable and clamped too tight. I found the impact weak and it was just very boomy and muddy with recessed treble. Overall the sound was fairly grainy too. I got to use it with my own device with my own equalizers for a decent audition. I feel comfortable bashing them.

Where exactly did you use them?

As my experience is limited with the pro, don't you think the clamping could have something to do with the size of your head? I had no issue with them whatsoever.

Again, I'm not saying they're HD800 level, but stop bashing. I personally don't think the Shure SE535 is worth $500, but you'll never see me react with the kind of vigor that beat haters have.

It's as if there's this hatred and jealousy because the headphones they bought aren't popular.

The point is to educate, like the OP said. Show them what they can get for the money. That's what I've been doing.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #18 of 548
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that half of you bashing the beats have never even heard them, or if you have it was probably in some loud Best Buy with pairs that have had their drivers rattled out by hundreds of teenagers every single day.

The Beats are NOT BAD sounding headphones. In my opinion, they sound pretty decent. Separation is decent, mids and highs are decent, and the fact that they look cool is a plus. I listened to a friend's Studios and compared them to another friend's M50. They are quite omparable in SQ. This brings up the true issue with the Beats: They are overpriced. The fact that they are comparable to $150 headphones belies their $400 price tag.

Beats are not s**t, unlike most would want you to believe. Next time you see someone walking around with the Studios or Pros, ask them for a quick listen. Until then, hold your tongue.

You're making an assumption like that on a website dedicated to people who obsessively use headphones. Of course more than half of us have heard the Beats, and yes they are a BAD sounding headphone. The bass is so muddy and exaggerated. It's not a good experience. And the M50 are far and away better, whether the Beats are $400 or $50.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #19 of 548
Quote:
You're making an assumption like that on a website dedicated to people who obsessively use headphones. Of course more than half of us have heard the Beats, and yes they are a BAD sounding headphone. The bass is so muddy and exaggerated. It's not a good experience. And the M50 are far and away better, whether the Beats are $400 or $50.

If they are so horrible, why are people queuing up to buy them. Human beings aren't complete idiots like some imply.

BTW, the M50 is a different signature. Go listen to them side by side.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 548
Quote:

If they are so horrible, why are people queuing up to buy them. Human beings aren't complete idiots like some imply.

People are ******* stupid.

Case in point: The lipid hypothesis, and everything the american government bases off this, CSPI, The FDA, the drug/pharmacutical companies, the paper industry. I can go on.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 548
Quote:
Case in point: The lipid hypothesis, and everything the american government bases off this, CSPI, The FDA, the drug/pharmacutical companies, the paper industry. I can go on.

Are you in the Health Science field?

I'm a couple years away from being a Doctor (of pharmacy). Experiments I've done since freshman year have verified that lipid buildup in the blood does cause heart disease.

Now let's get back on topic and talk about trivial headphones...

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #23 of 548
Quote:

That is easily one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard and I'm seriously not trying to be mean. Are you literally asking the question "why does advertising work?" or "why are humans actually sheep?" or "why are people easily influenced?"

And whoever I replied to brought up the M50, not me. I personally don't like the M50 and it's still better than the Beats.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #24 of 548
Quote:

Are you in the Health Science field?

I'm a couple years away from being a Doctor (of pharmacy). Experiments I've done since freshman year have verified that lipid buildup in the blood does cause heart disease.

Now let's get back on topic and talk about trivial headphones...

I'm in school to become a registered dietician. Also experiments dating over the past 50 years have proven constantly, over, and over, and over that they don't.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #25 of 548
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that half of you bashing the beats have never even heard them, or if you have it was probably in some loud Best Buy with pairs that have had their drivers rattled out by hundreds of teenagers every single day.

I have heard several models in many surroundings.  At one point, I actually owned a pair of Studios, and a pair of SoloHDs.  So I can assure that you what I am about to say is based on having burned them in and given then a decent audition:

I do not find Beats to be good sounding headphones - especially not at the prices they're being offered at.  They make decent fashion accessories though.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #26 of 548
I can respect people who enjoy the Beats, but the headphones gave me a headache, literally. I can see how the subwoofer-like vibration could be a cool sensation, but I think it was what made my head pound. I also didn't like that the mids had little detail, and the treble sounded "static-y" to me. The overall sound was very collapsed and one-dimensional, giving me the illusion that I needed to pop my ears as if I were on an airplane. I kept waiting for the pop to happen so that I would be able to hear clearer, but obviously it didn't happen.

However, I can't even call the Beats line overpriced, because there will always be a lot of people who would prefer them even once they heard all the hi-fi champions.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 548
My experience with Beats by Dre is limited to the Solo's and the Studios. I don't own either however.

Pros:
-Comfortable (However long uses can get sweaty for me)
-Nice design

Cons:
-Too much bass (However this is because I dislike bass focused headphones, I'm like the opposite of a bass-head)
-Plastic exterior (Even though many consumers know the cost of Beats by Dre headphones, to me it feels cheap)
-Buzzing noise from the Studios (I'm not sure if it's the particular headphones I tried from my friend, but I hear a buzzing noise in the background of the music, which ruins my experience)
-Price point (Obviously Monster/or it's subdivision Beats have set out to control ignorant consumers using it's advertising campaigns)

All in all I don't hate Beats headphones, I guess they're just not for me.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 548
What is worse than beats is the fanboys. When creating a constructive argument, they come on with their horrible vocabulary skills and support the beats as if they where their only child.

"OMG U SOK!!1!!11! beets rawk and ur jus jel0s u cnt afford thm cuz ur a sad ulgy prson that lives in their prnts bassment and whr paid to tlk shat abut beets!!!11!!11!!!!!111111"

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #29 of 548
In my opinion, the main problem with Beats headphones is that they are designed specifically for one genre of music (hip/hop), and are thus equalized for people primarily interested in the bass.  Sadly, however, the bass is incredibly boomy, diffused and uncontrolled, while at the same time so overpowering that it completely muffles the highs and mids.  Honestly, I do listen to a lot of hip hop myself, and the thing that really depresses me about Beats is that they encourage the trend of having music just be background noise, rather than something that demands attention and appreciation.  In spite of the way hip hop is represented in the mainstream, some of the best lyricists today are rappers (both in the mainstream and the underground).  Hence, it is very sad to me that a product that is supposed to be tailored to a crowd of listeners to this specific genre actually eclipses a good part of what this genre is about by overemphasizing the low-frequency end of the sound spectrum.  Beats attempts to be a good basshead headphone, but it actually fails pretty badly even at that.  I still wouldn't consider them terrible, however, if they cost about a third of what they do, but at their high prices, I have to say that they are nothing more than a ripoff.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 548
I've listen to Beats in Best Buy, and the Solo/Solo HD's are horrid. The Studio's and Pros would be alright headphones if the Studio's were say $50 to $100 and the Pros were $100 to $150. While I think the marketing behind them is very deceptive, and they are overpriced for their sound and build quality, the one great thing about the Beats is that they made On-Ear and Over-Ear headphones acceptable by the mainstream, and have probably lead at least a few people over to Head-Fi to learn more about audio and headphones. Now I'm not saying that every can or should be an audiophile and buy $300 headphones, but it is nice to see people accepting that better sound quality exists beyond iBuds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back