Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 9, 2012 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 548

PinoyPogiman

100+ Head-Fier
i can understand how many people dislike and Even Hate Beats headphones by Dr.Dre and Monster.

i too have gone a phase where i really wanted to show how much i hated Beats headphones.
but really we should all understand that no headphone is too perfect... jk.

i still DONT like beats headphones, i would not waste my money on a pair, and i wouldnt like to wear them or listen.

they are still not that bad of headphones, after all. they are still better than any Skullcandy pair.

Beats headphones arent bad, they are just overpriced and not worth your ears or money.
they make good DJ headphones for Hip Hop and Rap music. but not for other layers of sound.

i know how Beats chomp up a steep pricetag of 200-400$ when they are not even Audiophile headphones.
because in my opinion; they should cost around 90-120$ because even the AudioTechnica is better than Beats by 150$...

im just adressing some knowledge against Beats headphones so people can take some consideration arguing with someone with Beats.
because alot of Destructive comments goes to people with Beats.
instead of Destructive comments, recommend Constructive Comments by showing the uneducated consumers how real good SQ would sound.
for example, you can let them wear your pair of hifi, Audiophile, or good pair of cans so they can feel how well the sound is compared to their beats or skullcandies.

Talk to them and recommend them to Headfi.org or some audiophile website so THEY too can do some Consumer research.

Recommend them some good cans at a reasonable price.

I never joked someone who was wearing beats, i only just disliked it. but you should take consideration and spread knowledge to the uneducated consumers

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 548
I have your anti-Beats argument right here.

Now, I'm not against the headphones. I'm against the company for setting their unreasonable prices and coming up with marketing ******** just to justify their pricetag.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 548
Quote:

they are still not that bad of headphones, after all. they are still better than any Skullcandy pair.

Wrong-o.  I hate to have to disagree with you, but the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator headphones are actually quite a bit better than all but the Pro line of Beats.  Of course, I would still choose the Audiotechnica ATH-M50s or the Shure SRH840s over these at $150+ dollars, but they aren't that bad.  I am hopeful that now that Tetsuro Oishi is now working for Skullcandy, that the focus will be more on sound quality rather than design alone.  I'm not expecting anything truly audiophile from them, mind you, but Tetsuro said he hoped to have the sound quality up to par with some of the lower-end audiophile type offerings within 3 years.  At any rate, it is good to know that even the mass-consumer manufacturers are trying to improve in the sound quality department.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 548
It's also that beats are promoted as the best SQ. If they were just being marketed as 'a cool pair of cans' I wouldn't have a problem with it. Though, they lie to the consumer and say they're the best, the consumer believes they're the best and ends up with a warped sense of good sound quality. Though, I always give recommendations on better pairs at the same or lower price ranges to people buying or that have beats. I've never refused anyone who wanted to listen to my beyer t5p.
On a side note, I felt the koss portapros + my fiio amp sounded better than beats. A nice rich, warm, consumer friendly sound.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 548
Quote:

It's hard for trends to die out in audio, so I don't think so. As long as Beats continue their advertising campaign, the "fad" will never disappear. 

I guess you are right, and they always introduce snazzy new designs and stuff to keep the folks interested still.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 548
Quote:

I guess you are right, and they always introduce snazzy new designs and stuff to keep the folks interested still.

For better or for worse, it is impossible to ignore the fact that Beats has changed the way that people view headphones as not just a tool for musical reproduction, but also as a fashion accessory.  Even Denon's new line of hi-end headphones is taking a more rapper-can inspired look, much to my chagrin.  Personally, I think we should be steering people away not just from the sound of the Beats-type headphones, but also from the poor build quality and cheap plasticky design.

(P.S.  I would probably still buy the new Denon headphones, however, if they really sound as good as Steve Guttenberg claims, but I still far prefer the older look for the Denons).

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 548
Here at UCLA it seems like >80% of the students I see wearing headphones have some variety of Beats. Is the rest of the world like that?

I do see a lot of Sennheiser and Audio-Technica headphones, though. :)

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 548
Here at UCLA it seems like >80% of the students I see wearing headphones have some variety of Beats. Is the rest of the world like that?
I do see a lot of Sennheiser and Audio-Technica headphones, though. :)

I go to a private cegep and yes, the majority of people wear beats. I walk in with my t5p and they're just like "What are those?"

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 548
Quote:
__________________________________ List of facts to address:

Beats headphones arent bad, they are just overpriced and not worth your ears or money.
they make good DJ headphones for Hip Hop and Rap music. but not for other layers of sound.

Maybe the Mixers and Pros, if you want to hit on teenage girls, but nothing about the Studios, or worse, the Solos are fit for professional use.  They don't even isolate particularly well.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #13 of 548
They are not better than the Skullcandy Aviators or the Skullcandy Mix Master. They are not at all fit for DJ or studio use. The only thing they're good for is rattling your skull - you know those idiots who drive through your neighborhood trying to rattle houses with their car speakers? And you just know they can't even hear music anymore inside that sonic death trap? Yeah. That's how the Beats are to a lesser degree. What's so weird about them is they COULD be a bit better. They COULD, using the technology that is IN THEM RIGHT NOW ... actually tune that bass to the point where it's not this muddy, disgusting mess. But instead they just do the equivalent of turning a knob up to 11 and calling them professional. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 548
I'm willing to bet that half of you bashing the beats have never even heard them, or if you have it was probably in some loud Best Buy with pairs that have had their drivers rattled out by hundreds of teenagers every single day.

The Beats are NOT BAD sounding headphones. In my opinion, they sound pretty decent. Separation is decent, mids and highs are decent, and the fact that they look cool is a plus. I listened to a friend's Studios and compared them to another friend's M50. They are quite omparable in SQ. This brings up the true issue with the Beats: They are overpriced. The fact that they are comparable to $150 headphones belies their $400 price tag.

Beats are not s**t, unlike most would want you to believe. Next time you see someone walking around with the Studios or Pros, ask them for a quick listen. Until then, hold your tongue.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 548
I'm willing to bet that half of you bashing the beats have never even heard them, or if you have it was probably in some loud Best Buy with pairs that have had their drivers rattled out by hundreds of teenagers every single day.

The Beats are NOT BAD sounding headphones. In my opinion, they sound pretty decent. Separation is decent, mids and highs are decent, and the fact that they look cool is a plus. I listened to a friend's Studios and compared them to another friend's M50. They are quite omparable in SQ. This brings up the true issue with the Beats: They are overpriced. The fact that they are comparable to $150 headphones belies their $400 price tag.

Beats are not s**t, unlike most would want you to believe. Next time you see someone walking around with the Studios or Pros, ask them for a quick listen. Until then, hold your tongue.

You can't say everyone here has not heard them. I've used the solos, studios and pros and I felt they were all pretty bad, especially the solos. The pros were very uncomfortable and clamped too tight. I found the impact weak and it was just very boomy and muddy with recessed treble. Overall the sound was fairly grainy too. I got to use it with my own device with my own equalizers for a decent audition. I feel comfortable bashing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back