Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 17, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #106 of 548
And that's why its nearly impossible to have a constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion.  Its like trying to find the upside of evil . . . just not gonna happen.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #107 of 548
warrenpchi, your display picture and statement, it made my day, thank you

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #108 of 548
Quote:
Working in corporate america has shown me that there are very few companies out there that won't market their products like monster does. No one is going to admit their product isn't the best..I just think there's enough flexibility in the minds of the majority of consumers in the audio industry (i.e. non-audiophiles) that most audio marketing can be stretched a little more and people can still get away with it.

Monster; Beats has the nerve and cockyness to actually state their product is the best. of course other companies have a more sane mind admitting its not the best virtually.

because you would expect people to make jokes about Beats since they state they made the uttermost best headphone in the entire world!
highly exaggerated, i cant tell if Monster actually states that sarcastically, prideful, or just flatout ignorant.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #109 of 548
Quote:

You ripped Discovery in 320-ish VBR? I recently acquired all three of their major albums, ripped them in FLAC, and have been going to town on some of the best music of the past 15 years! Daft Punk are without a doubt some of the best producers alive, and judging by your picture, sig, and post content, I think you'd agree. 

Yeah. I mean, regardless of what the advertisements say, Beats by Dre is not a line that was made for awesome sound quality. It was made for convenience, aesthetic appearance, and portability. The advertising is really misleading though. If they were marketed as what they are, bass-heavy headphones designed to work with Hip-Hop/Electronic music, things would be a lot easier. However, I find it peculiar that some companies that Head-Fi likes are just as misleading, yet this seems to get swept under the rug.

yea, still. im studying how to convert my CD's to the best SQ i can get from my 5.5gen Ipod Classic.
i plan to get Homework, Musique, Human After All, and Alive2007, including any other album i can get my hands on legally.

but on to topic, If Beats didnt exaggerate their advertisements. then i guess people wouldnt find a reason to joke it.
I went to English class one morning and somehow started a discussion about Headphones with 2 other peeps. one was a Beats Conformist who does not own a pair, and the other person whom sees the truth against beats.
the other says "comon dude, they are the best in the world"
^^ i can see how Advertisement and crowd conformity really gets in the mind of the uneducated consumer.
because in my School, which is in Coastal Virginia. the only Headphone i actually see are of a generic kind of Beats, mostly SoloHD's and Pros.

im the only one in school who walks around in Portapros, and students look at me asking "wth are those, they look weird-cool?"

of course, i dislike the whole Beats headphones, as much as i dont like the Smugness and ego of some people. Its only the egotistical people im against, not the people who actually likes beats out of their own preference(in which i would recommend them better pairs in good faith)

one other reason why Beats are still around.
is the convenience and product distribution.
Beats are easily sold in: Bestbuy, Radioshack, Gamestop(lol), Walmart, FYE, Brookstone, Mall trend stores, and even in Headphone.com
**^ when is the last time you saw a pair of Grado SR80's, Sennheiser HD800, or even a Denon D7000 being highly accessible to the store a few blocks away?

its also about Accessibility people, you wouldnt expect the public to actually do a deep through search on a good pair if they didnt pay as much appreciation in audio quality like the rest of us do.

... i really want to get my ears inbetween a Sennheiser HD800... i know i wont be able to afford it in a few years or so.
the only way to truly test a Headphone, is by listening with one...

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #110 of 548
Quote:
Monster; Beats has the nerve and cockyness to actually state their product is the best. of course other companies have a more sane mind admitting its not the best virtually.

because you would expect people to make jokes about Beats since they state they made the uttermost best headphone in the entire world!
highly exaggerated, i cant tell if Monster actually states that sarcastically, prideful, or just flatout ignorant.

I would say its plain prideful, cocky, and ignorant. they sure are doing their bragging right since a lot of people fell for it. they do introduce people with enough brains and $$$ to the audiophile world, which benefits the whole industry as a total.

Beat's never targeted audio quality, they were just making a bridge between the mainstream fashion and the expensive headphone world. which the audio informed spit on due to their price, marketing lies and more lies.

so its our job to pull these people away from the beats trap if they want good audio quality,but if they only want the style and celebrity endorsement, leave them be

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #111 of 548
Quote:
Well, Beats just twists words too, let me show you how.

"Never before seen driver technology."- Well, no other headphone manufacturer has the lack of common decency to make these drivers, so of course it's never before seen.

"Smashes all headphones in their price range."- Duh! The bass on these is so loud that it damages all other headphones in a 3 mile radius.

"The most incredible headphone speaker ever."- Compared to everything else on Head-Fi, credibility is not their strong suit.

"First choice for audiophiles."- They are definitely my go-to headphone...for making me feel good about myself when I start getting can-envy. (ex. "I wish I had a pair of Sennheisser HD800s, better than these bloated ATH-M50s. Oh well, at least mine are better than Beats.")

In all seriousness, Beats aren't bad. Considering their feature set and target demographic, they're not even bad at their asking price. But that marketing is unethical.

hahahahah i didn't think of that XD 

but what did you mean in the explanation for "First choice for audiophiles" ?

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #112 of 548
@StreetDragon (my tablet gets wonky with the Quote button) Whenever audiophiles get jealous of other people's rig, they simply say, "At least it's better than Beats." They really are the first headphone that comes to mind if you want to feel better about your rig. xD

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #113 of 548
Quote:
@StreetDragon (my tablet gets wonky with the Quote button) Whenever audiophiles get jealous of other people's rig, they simply say, "At least it's better than Beats." They really are the first headphone that comes to mind if you want to feel better about your rig. xD

ahh i see i seeXD well sadly, i cannot do that yet, till i get my next upgrade....
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #115 of 548
Beats seems to have become the gold standard status of 'good bassy sound' among the uninformed apparently

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #116 of 548
I think you mean the designer headphone phase. Will they die out? No. People are becoming more and more concerned with self image and the headphones have become part of this image.

That just means companies who are good at sound need to spend some effort on making their products beautiful. Bowers & Wilkins* proves this is possible.

*(While I've heard it argued they're overpriced, some significant portion of their cost is in making them into comfortable, sturdy knockabout 'phones with a lot of structural stainless steel. Subjectively, I think they sound way better than anything else in their price range; YMMV.)

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #118 of 548
For a second there, I thought you were saying Beats sound better than anything in their price range. 
blink.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #119 of 548
Quote:
For a second there, I thought you were saying Beats sound better than anything in their price range
blink.gif

That's exactly what the local newspaper at my town said 

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #120 of 548
Around here, there are tons of Chinese knockoff Beats cans that sell for 1/10 of the price of the real ones. According to anecdotal opinions, the fake ones actually manage to sound better than the real thing. This is sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back