Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #481 of 548
Quote:
I'm getting really bored by this argument, enough that I almost didn't respond.

It would appear that the world's dictionaries disagree with you. The words are clearly interchangeable. You can claim all kinds of personal semantics but that means pretty much nothing.

The mass market doesn't value things very much differently than I do. I don't think you'd claim that very many of these people dropped two, three, four hundred dollars on something just because they look good, unless you want to do your argument a massive disservice.  That is like buying a top of the line phone or car because it comes in their favorite color, regardless of any of the other features it provides. Anyone who buys something for a reason completely irrelevant to its function is obviously a complete idiot. The problem is that these people think they're getting something they're not and then get their personal identity wrapped around the "status symbol" aspect of the product.

As for someone criticizing my open cans (let's say that I have my portable Stax rig out and about), who cares if they are ugly? They never claimed or were designed to be attractive. You can't say the same for Beats and their "sound".

You seemed to have missed the "fairly" part of "fairly decent".

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #482 of 548
You seemed to have missed the "fairly" part of "fairly decent".

That's a complete non-argument. You're really splitting hairs now. If that's all you came up with...

Hah. Now we can move onto something else, like how to beat out this cancer on our hobby.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #483 of 548
I went to a store and they had beats and sennheisers that you could audition before buying. The sales person told me that the beats were better than the senns and told me to have a listen. Which I did and I knew something wasn't right about the sound the senns were giving out vs the Beats. They had paired all the beats with an external amp/dac and all the sennheisers weren't. When I plugged the senns into the same amp/dac the sound quality of the senns all of a sudden had a bigger soundstage, nice balance and detail vs the beats. So I started walking off and the sale guy quickly unplugged the senns and put the beats back on. This is how they sold more beats very sneaky. :) he couldn't tell me why he hadn't amped the senns but of course I knew why lol.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #485 of 548
Quote:
I absolutely loathe status symbols. I would much rather people like me for who I am than what I drive or what I wear, and I despise when people rely on status symbols in order to try to advance themselves socially.

This is why I abhor Beats so much. Not only are they a widespread status symbol that make it harder to share my love of my hobby with others (HUR DUR U DONT HAVE BEATS LOSER), they have little to no actual substance to back up their "premium" status. They're the ultimate in shallow.

Well but believe it or not a lot of people do. Deal with it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #486 of 548
They had hd558 and hd600 and about 20 different beats headphones. They didn't advertise the senns but had beats signs up everywhere. I'm guessing the turnover for Beats in profit was more than the Senns hence all the advertising. He didn't look too impressed when I asked him why they weren't on the same source. Lol so many people mostly 15-23 year olds buying Beats. When they listen to my Senns versus there beats they are a little gobsmacked. Mind you half of them didn't even know Sennhieser exists or Beyers for that matter. I know some of them won't be buying beats again after comparing the two. :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #488 of 548
Jun 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #490 of 548
Come back when you've learnt that everyone's opinions are not the same as yours.
wink.gif

I don't even know what you originally said considering the fact it wasn't an actual sentence. Telling me that "a lot of people do" doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't tell me what all these people that supposedly do something are actually doing. That sentence made about as much sense as "I accidentally the stairs".

My reaction was towards the fact that you told me to "deal with" the fact that people apparently are doing some mysterious, hidden action. I don't "deal with" things because

"Do not believe—and I am dead serious when I say this—do not assume that order and stability are always good, in a society or in a universe. The old, the ossified, must always give way to new life and the birth of new things. Before the new things can be born the old must perish. This is a dangerous realization, because it tells us that we must eventually part with much of what is familiar to us. And that hurts. But that is part of the script of life. Unless we can psychologically accommodate change, we ourselves begin to die, inwardly. What I am saying is that objects, customs, habits, and ways of life must perish so that the authentic human being can live."

Conflict is central to change, and therefore progress and life, in society. If I see something I don't like, I raise a ruckus about it until either I get tired of it or something changes. This is how most people act about issues they care about, even if they are not inherently as self-aware about it. Choosing to ignore or just lazily accepting something only leads to stagnation and the death of progress.

In short, telling someone to "deal with" something is basically ordering them to be submissive and impassionate, which basically gives me the reaction I provided above.

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #491 of 548
Quote:

I don't even know what you originally said considering the fact it wasn't an actual sentence. Telling me that "a lot of people do" doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't tell me what all these people that supposedly do something are actually doing. That sentence made about as much sense as "I accidentally the stairs".

My reaction was towards the fact that you told me to "deal with" the fact that people apparently are doing some mysterious, hidden action. I don't "deal with" things because

Conflict is central to change, and therefore progress and life, in society. If I see something I don't like, I raise a ruckus about it until either I get tired of it or something changes. This is how most people act about issues they care about, even if they are not inherently as self-aware about it. Choosing to ignore or just lazily accepting something only leads to stagnation and the death of progress.

In short, telling someone to "deal with" something is basically ordering them to be submissive and impassionate, which basically gives me the reaction I provided above.

I underlined the par't of your sentence to to highlight what I was referring to if you didn't notice. Also if you don't like someone who is placing heavy emphasis on status, go and give him counselling then.

If you don't like the ruckus about Beats selling well then tell your friends about the overpriced aspects of beats instead of telling us that is is wrong to state the fact that Beats is indeed selling well at the moment. Though different people place different emphasis in different places. To those who are indeed looking for sound they should look elsewhere, if they just happen to want brand name it't up to them, we can provide data and alternative options but we are not allowed to force them to not buy beats.
Telling you to deal with it is to tell you not to be angry/upset about it. Not about submitting into it.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #492 of 548
I underlined the part of your sentence to to highlight what I was referring to if you didn't notice. Also if you don't like someone who is placing heavy emphasis on status, go and give him counselling then.

If you don't like the ruckus about Beats selling well then tell your friends about the overpriced aspects of beats instead of telling us that is is wrong to state the fact that Beats is indeed selling well at the moment. 
Telling you to deal with it is to tell you not to be angry/upset about it. Not about submitting into it.

I saw exactly what you underlined and it still makes exactly no sense. Were you trying to tell me at a lot of people agree with me? That's about the only conclusion I can extract from it.

Also, nice attempt at a strawman, but my argument has nothing to do with whether or not Beats are selling well. Anyone can figure that out simply by being around teenagers.

I'm still not even sure if you're seeing something different than what I wrote because it almost seems as though you're replying to an entirely different person.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #493 of 548
Am very tempted to say:

Guys, we are talking about headphones. HEADPHONES. Not the environment, the economy, or natural disasters. This is not a flooding in India where 10,000 people are supposedly dead. It's just headphones.

There is always a point when talking to Beats buyers to just shut up. Some of them will learn and spend their money wiser next time. Some of them will just not care, go into a shop, and buy the brand they know (marketing works) and be convinced they bought the best there is.

We are very passionate about our music. But at some stage one needs to just chill-out. I lend a pair of expensive Sennheisers to one of my guys in my team and guess what. After a week he said: they are the same as my earbuds that came with my iPod touch. That is the moment when you just say: oh well, some people hear the difference, some don't. And move on. Any more effort is wasted.

I am just saying: choose the battles you fight wisely. Let yourself not be driven purely by emotions and "knowing you are right" that's like trying to convert someone to a different religion, not always welcome. 

Cheers,
Obi Wan-Koolpep

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #494 of 548
Quote:

I saw exactly what you underlined and it still makes exactly no sense. Were you trying to tell me at a lot of people agree with me? That's about the only conclusion I can extract from it.

Also, nice attempt at a strawman, but my argument has nothing to do with whether or not Beats are selling well. Anyone can figure that out simply by being around teenagers.

I'm still not even sure if you're seeing something different than what I wrote because it almost seems as though you're replying to an entirely different pers

Not sure if you actually read my statements before replying. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #495 of 548
Not sure if you actually read my statements before replying. 

This is like trying to argue with Indian tech support a parrot. There is no sense trying to have a discussion when there is clearly someone here with faulty communication skills (it's not me). I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back