Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #421 of 548
Meh, I don't really know how an experiment like that would turn out.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #422 of 548
Quote:
No, I meant that you'd WOULD think it was good because of the "placebo" effect, and when you actually listened and figured out what driver it used then you would realized.

Quote:
Considering the lower-end Sennheisers aren't usually very well regarded, probably not.

That's the thing. According to your logic, all Sennheisers would be considered great sounding headphones, due to your placebo effect. In reality most Sennheiser models are seen as mediocre and don't even get any attention around here. (Do you see a HD202 Appreciation Thread? A HD439 hype train? I think not.)

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #423 of 548
That's the thing. According to your logic, all Sennheisers would be considered great sounding headphones, due to your placebo effect. In reality most Sennheiser models are seen as mediocre and don't even get any attention around here. (Do you see a HD202 Appreciation Thread? A HD439 hype train? I think not.)
Well, this is gonna be a good debate...

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #425 of 548
Quote:

the HD202 was of good value though that's the one good thing about it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #426 of 548
Nothing wrong with owning /listening to a pair of Beat's but when Beat's users get arrogant and start rubbing it in other people's face about how superior there headphone is because it is endorsed by a famous rapper - this is what pisses people off.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #428 of 548
Quote:
Beats are not amazing headphones. They also aren't terrible either. I don't think they are really that overpriced, considering they have active noise cancelling and are actually very well made and comfortable. Yeah, they have inaccurate bass, but most closed headphones do. I've heard them and they have pretty decent SQ. Is it better than an open full-size pair of Sennheisers? No, but that isn't a fair comparison.

Ultimately, people here hate them because the general population buys them, and head-fi likes to feel superior to such people.. If AKG or Beyerdynamic made this exact same headphone, it would be championed.

do you even read reviews, just kidding, but still
1) well made? no
2)active noise cancelling? doesn't do ANYTHING
3) comfortable? debatable, with ears as big as mine though the answer would be no
didn't mean to criticize or offend, just the truth

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #429 of 548
I don't think they are really that overpriced, considering they have active noise cancelling (which is passable only if you can tolerate the gratuitous amounts of hiss) and are actually very well made (only externally, and only on the newest models) and comfortable (except the Mixr or Pro). Yeah, they have inaccurate bass, but most (cheap) closed headphones do. I've heard them and they have pretty decent SQ. Is it better than an open full-size pair of Sennheisers? No, but that isn't a fair comparison. (Implying we hold some sort of harsh double standard)

Ultimately, people here hate them because the general population buys them, and head-fi likes to feel superior to such people.. If AKG or Beyerdynamic made this exact same headphone, it would be championed. (What about this headphone deserves to be championed? The fact that it's well-marketed? You act as if we're a bunch of petty anti-conformists, while disregarding all of the actual reasons people don't like them.)

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #431 of 548
Quote:
But dont people do that in general with many of their possessions?

Not to the extent I've seen some Beat's owners do.

"Oh check out ma new Beats Pro it can do bass like a car sub"

Rips out my IE7 earbud, listen to this fellas

Expressions kick in

Priceless

Beat's owner get's schooled by my 2 year old $150 buds. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #433 of 548
Monster is a despicable marketing company and everything is overpriced. Thing is some stores carry only their products and are part of the conspiracy to fleece the customer. F them!

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #434 of 548
If beats wouldn't exist:

Less exposure of the hobby to the masses
Nothing to whine about
300/400 bucks for headphones not acceptable

So, thank you monster!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back