Connecting studio monitors to unbalanced source

What cable to connect studio monitors (with RCA and XLR inputs) to unbalanced source?

• RCA to RCA cable

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • RCA to XLR cable

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Both are good/same audio quality

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #31 of 47
I got my studio monitors yesterday and connected everything with some cheap RCA cables (just temporary, I couldn't wait on the cables, because there were only two speakers left). They are a set of Focal CMS-40 and they sound great so far, but I do have one problem with them. They make a constant hiss, which is coming out of the tweeters of both speakers. I disconnected the RCA cables on the speakers and the hiss remains. Changing the volume on the speakers also doesn't make any difference. Any idea what's causing this? Or should I create a new topic/thread for this?

How close are the monitors (the one for you ears) to the monitor (the one for your eyes)? Studio monitors unlike speakers that have a Center speaker in the same series (ie they expect the mains and Center to be near the HDTV) might not be shielded. Also try keeping wireless devices away from the room, including switching off your WiFI router, just to check if any of those are causing it.

You can also try a power strip with a noise filter and have only the two speakers plugged in there. Maybe plug it into a different outlet and have nothing else plugged into that (both the power strip and the outlet). Make sure all connections are properly grounded (ie don't use any 3-prong to 2-prong connections).

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #32 of 47
How close are the monitors (the one for you ears) to the monitor (the one for your eyes)? Studio monitors unlike speakers that have a Center speaker in the same series (ie they expect the mains and Center to be near the HDTV) might not be shielded. Also try keeping wireless devices away from the room, including switching off your WiFI router, just to check if any of those are causing it.
The speakers are a block of solid aluminium, I doubt that's the issue. The studio monitors are about 10-15 centimeters from the monitor.

You can also try a power strip with a noise filter and have only the two speakers plugged in there. Maybe plug it into a different outlet and have nothing else plugged into that (both the power strip and the outlet). Make sure all connections are properly grounded (ie don't use any 3-prong to 2-prong connections).
Any idea where I can get such a power strip for EU plugs? I can't use any other power plug, as there aren't any other available in my reach. I am using 3-prong power connections everywhere and I am pretty sure everything is grounded properly.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #33 of 47
I got my studio monitors yesterday and connected everything with some cheap RCA cables (just temporary, I couldn't wait on the cables, because there were only two speakers left). They are a set of Focal CMS-40 and they sound great so far, but I do have one problem with them. They make a constant hiss, which is coming out of the tweeters of both speakers. I disconnected the RCA cables on the speakers and the hiss remains. Changing the volume on the speakers also doesn't make any difference. Any idea what's causing this? Or should I create a new topic/thread for this?

It's probably a ground loop. If you are using a laptop, you can unplug the power cable for a moment and see if the noise goes away. If it does, you know it's a ground loop.

Get a ground loop isolator and it should fix it. (A cheater plug on my laptop power cable is what I use, but it's potentially unsafe.)

Or you can get a DAC with TOSLINK input, source with TOSLINK output, and a TOSLINK cable, which electrically isolates the DAC.

Okay, I edited out all that because you said it still does it when you disconnect the speakers. Some active speakers are designed to make a soft hiss from the tweeters. My JBLs are like that. This is separate from a ground loop, which is much noisier. But you can try a ground loop isolator anyway to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #34 of 47
The speakers are a block of solid aluminium, I doubt that's the issue. The studio monitors are about 10-15 centimeters from the monitor.

Aluminum isn't exactly copper.

Any idea where I can get such a power strip for EU plugs? I can't use any other power plug, as there aren't any other available in my reach. I am using 3-prong power connections everywhere and I am pretty sure everything is grounded properly.

You'll have to search sites based in your area. Look up brands like Monster or Bada to get you started, but you don't necessarily have to buy anything expensive. There might be other brands available.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #35 of 47
Okay, I edited out all that because you said it still does it when you disconnect the speakers. Some active speakers are designed to make a soft hiss from the tweeters. My JBLs are like that. This is separate from a ground loop, which is much noisier. But you can try a ground loop isolator anyway to see if it helps.
Do you mean the ground loop isolators you can plug in the wall?

Aluminum isn't exactly copper
True, but I doubt many speakers are shielded with copper, I can't imagine how much that costs.

You'll have to search sites based in your area. Look up brands like Monster or Bada to get you started, but you don't necessarily have to buy anything expensive. There might be other brands available.
I will look at it today. I can however already confirm my computer setup isn't the source of the static. I unplugged everything except my switch, Mimby and the wireless power switches (but I doubt they are the source).

I am starting to think the static is produced in the speakers themselves. But I have had these problems before with all my previous speakers, but I thought that was because they were cheaper than my current ones.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #36 of 47
How loud is the hiss? On mine, it's very soft, and they're supposed to do it.

There are many different types of ground loop isolators. (Just Google it.) But now it would appear that nothing is wrong, and it's just the soft hiss that many active speakers have.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #37 of 47
How loud is the hiss? On mine, it's very soft, and they're supposed to do it.
I can hear it a very little bit when the room is silent and no sound is being played at normal sitting distance. The speakers aren't pointed towards me, but if I put my ears before the tweeters (also at normal distance) I can hear them. If I put me ear before the tweeter the hiss is definitely there and I would guess they are about the loudness of my computer (if it would be next to my ear) and my computer is almost silent (full of Noctua fans).

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #38 of 47
I can hear it a very little bit when the room is silent and no sound is being played at normal sitting distance. The speakers aren't pointed towards me, but if I put my ears before the tweeters (also at normal distance) I can hear them. If I put me ear before the tweeter the hiss is definitely there and I would guess they are about the loudness of my computer (if it would be next to my ear) and my computer is almost silent (full of Noctua fans).

Yep, that's normal. Nothing to worry about, and nothing you can do, because that's how they are designed.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #39 of 47
Yep, that's normal. Nothing to worry about, and nothing you can do, because that's how they are designed.
I downloaded a decibel meter app (just out of curiosity to see if my phone (OnePlus 3) could record it) and my room measures 0 dB (not true obviously) and when putting the microphone before the tweeter it measures between 3 dB and 11 dB. Don't know of that tells you anything.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 47
True, but I doubt many speakers are shielded with copper, I can't imagine how much that costs.

The whole speaker doesn't need to be wrapped in copper, nor does it even have to be copper (I only brought up copper because you brought up the aluminum cabinets). On passive speakers there's some shielding on the crossover, on active speakers it will be on the entire active circuit - amps and crossovers.

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #41 of 47
Do you people think this exact thing can maybe solve the issue (or make the hiss more silent)? I will be plugging all audio devices in it and the USB ports are for powering a Google Chromecast Audio.

productpictures_150_dpi_1156000596.jpg

https://www.brennenstuhl.com/index....][data][products_id]=18054&lang=en&country=de

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #42 of 47
Do you people think this exact thing can maybe solve the issue (or make the hiss more silent)? I will be plugging all audio devices in it and the USB ports are for powering a Google Chromecast Audio.

It doesn't say if it has a noise filter so I'd guess all it is is a surge protector. And it can't improve grounding if what you plug it into is a 2-prong socket (some noise filter products actually have a ground screw that you wire to a metal window frame or something).

If they have a return policy you can try it in case just putting the audio equipment on another outlet works.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #43 of 47
It doesn't say if it has a noise filter so I'd guess all it is is a surge protector. And it can't improve grounding if what you plug it into is a 2-prong socket (some noise filter products actually have a ground screw that you wire to a metal window frame or something).
I can't plug it into a 2-prong socket, because it has a 3-prong connector (and in Europe you can't normally plug a 3-prong plug in a 2-prong socket). I also wasn't planning on doing something like that.

It says it does have an interference filter:

Capture_zpsrh4199zv.png

If they have a return policy you can try it in case just putting the audio equipment on another outlet works.
I will be returning at least one of them, because the tweeter is damaged (some scratches on it) and there are some imperfections in the paint. I could return both, but what can you recommend for about the same price and size (and doesn't look boring/ugly)?

Edit: I'm probably only going to return one of them if that's possible. Still waiting on a response from the shop.

I also tried the speakers on different outlets around the house and the hiss is as loud as on my desk. I guess that means the speakers are designed that way. Since I can't find anything else to my likings, I'm just going to keep these and ignore the hiss. They are off anyway when I am not playing through them and when audio is being played I can't hear it anyway. I guess buying a noise filter will also be useless.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #44 of 47
I can't plug it into a 2-prong socket, because it has a 3-prong connector (and in Europe you can't normally plug a 3-prong plug in a 2-prong socket). I also wasn't planning on doing something like that.

Just covering the bases.

It says it does have an interference filter:

I was probably looking at a different part of the page. Try it if it can be returned if it doesn't work, or if it's cheap enough that you can at least use it as a power strip.

I will be returning at least one of them, because the tweeter is damaged (some scratches on it) and there are some imperfections in the paint. I could return both, but what can you recommend for about the same price and size (and doesn't look boring/ugly)?

Edit: I'm probably only going to return one of them if that's possible. Still waiting on a response from the shop.

Genelec but I'm not sure if you like plain black with curved corners as the only aesthetic touch.

I also tried the speakers on different outlets around the house and the hiss is as loud as on my desk. I guess that means the speakers are designed that way. Since I can't find anything else to my likings, I'm just going to keep these and ignore the hiss. They are off anyway when I am not playing through them and when audio is being played I can't hear it anyway. I guess buying a noise filter will also be useless.

Or it's the whole house that has a problem. I know some people who have their A/V receivers flicker off/on when somebody runs the washing machine.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #45 of 47
Try it if it can be returned if it doesn't work, or if it's cheap enough that you can at least use it as a power strip.
I was thinking on doing that. Amazon has a good return policy and that's the only place I can get then as far as I know.

Genelec but I'm not sure if you like plain black with curved corners as the only aesthetic touch.
I actually do like the look of them, but the smallest model they have is the same price as the Focals I have now. Unfortunately they don't have the bass port at the front or bottom, so I can't put them as close to the wall.

Or it's the whole house that has a problem. I know some people who have their A/V receivers flicker off/on when somebody runs the washing machine.
It's possible, there are a lot of devices constantly running in a house, but that would mean the problem is either the ground or neutral wire, because at my house there are three live wires that come in and one neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back