Confused with Shure SE215...
Jun 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pprj

New Head-Fier
Guys,

I got a pair of Shures SE215 to go with my Ety 4P for those occasions when more comfort is needed.

I really respect the Ety 4P sound, but the comfort is not where I need it. And I have a lot of money invested in tips and all sorts of tricks to make 4P better in terms of fit.

Well, my Shures are not burned in yet, but I'm surprised by the fact that it has less bass than the 4P. How can this be possible?

I tried all the different tips that came with the Shure, but my Etys with tri-flange are still better in the bass department. Better control, depth, etc. It is just a better sound.

I was not expecting that. Not at all.

Is this to be expected? Did I get a lemon?

Thanks for any info.

PR

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10
If you like the ER-4 sound signature but want more comfort, return the SE215 and get custom tips. Ety sells an all-inclusive package (including impressions) for $100.

http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

Also, this goes to show you that the ER-4 isn't as lacking in the bass department as many people might think 
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks calipilot227.

You're right.... even when confronted with IEMs that are supposed to have great bass, the ER4P still shines. It is indeed an amazing device.

Thanks for the custom tip suggestion. I will explore it. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 10
If your SE215 did not come with some black foam sleeves, the get some Shure black foam sleeves for your ER4 -- they fit perfectly on the EF4 and are super comfy with the same isolation.  The model number is EABKF1-1x, with x being S/M/L for the outer size of the sleeve.  I have smaller ear canals and the Small size fits me perfectly.

It might make you forget about the SE215!

BTW, you might not be getting a good seal in your ear canal with the SE215, causing it to sound thin.  I've not heard the SE215, so don't know how good/light the bass is with a proper seal.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
BTW, you might not be getting a good seal in your ear canal with the SE215, causing it to sound thin.  I've not heard the SE215, so don't know how good/light the bass is with a proper seal.

This is another possibility. I personally found that I had difficulty getting a good seal with shallow-insert IEMs (notably the Triple.fi 10 and UM3X). I must have weird ears because the Ety tri-flange is the only tip that fits me perfectly. 
etysmile.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I think my Shure SE215 right out of the box, unamped out from the iPhone 3GS gives out pretty large quantity of bass, it refines as burn-in goes, are you sure you are getting a proper seal?

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Guys, an update.

Custom tips for ER4 arrives a few weeks ago.

Comfort level, from 0 to 10, is 11. It is simply amazing. There is absolutely nothing like it.

Now, with the customs the bass is not at the same level. Still ok, but not like the one I get with the tri flanges.

Win some, lose some, I guess.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Guys, an update.

Custom tips for ER4 arrives a few weeks ago.

Comfort level, from 0 to 10, is 11. It is simply amazing. There is absolutely nothing like it.

Now, with the customs the bass is not at the same level. Still ok, but not like the one I get with the tri flanges.

Win some, lose some, I guess.

Mind detailing the process to buy/receive the Ety custom tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back