Confused about metal headphones -_-
Jul 3, 2011 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TrantaLocked

100+ Head-Fier
I was getting hyped up about the Grado SR-60i I was going to order soon but looked even farther in the forums to find that Grados are better for faster paced metal while Sennheiser HD 580 is better for "symphonic metal"? 

I'm really stumped here. I listen to metalcore, mainly bands like Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, Times of Grace, and also some alternative/metal bands like System of a Down and Slipknot. Those are all of my favorite bands, and I am already accustomed to the Sennheiser sound signature and huge sound stage. I'm worried that the Grados will have such a sucky sound stage I won't be able to stand it.

What do you guys think. Still buy the Grado or is there a better head-phone for the bands I listen to for $80 or less?

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 8
If your goal is to get expansive soundstage, I doubt you're going to be happy with Grados.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, do you headbang to such bands? Typically, yes. Do you headbang to symphonic metal? Typically, no.

The Grado's response is fast, with raw mids, and the bass is pretty tight. The soundstage, however, is utter crap.

The Sennheisers do have the open soundstage with good bass, but it's not as good for metal as the sound isn't as aggressive.

There's definitely other options here; but if you want to find a mix of the forward mids, fast response and soundstage AND the cheap price, it's going to be difficult. For a higher price, I can recommend the DT770 and the Grado 225's. For the cheapy price, Grado SR80 is your best bet.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Jul 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 8
I recommend the DT880 as it meets most of your requirements.  Just need to save 1.5 times the money and you can get one off the FS section.  To me, Sennheiser and metal just don't go together...

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Asking Alexandria, ****ed Up, Wolves Like Us, Touché Amoré, The Fall Of Troy are also sth to do with the DT770/80..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back